Tattoos and piercings...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People are like icebergs. They come in all different shapes and colors. Some are smooth and some are really rough looking. We each have a vision of that perfect iceberg in our mind. We can only see 10% of an iceberg. The rest...90%...we cant see it's under water. 90% of a person is on the inside and it takes time to see that part of a person.

Tony

Amen brother! People are way to fast to snap to judgment these days!

Amen brother! People are way to fast to snap to judgment these days!

I agree. As much as I wish otherwise, I am subject to my own prejudices and failures. That's why I prefer not to even weigh in on conversations like this. I come to TRF to learn about rocketry, not to participate in a discussion that might divide us.

I agree. As much as I wish otherwise, I am subject to my own prejudices and failures. That's why I prefer not to even weigh in on conversations like this. I come to TRF to learn about rocketry, not to participate in a discussion that might divide us.
Four fins is more natural and right than three fins.

I got my first tattoo in 2007. My family crest. For me, it helps remind me of who I am and who I want to be. My second in 2009 after my brother from another mother committed suicide. It reminds me of him, the good times, and is a physical manifestation of the pain I will carry the rest of my life. They are both visible, as long as I'm not in long sleeves. Some people do judge, some are curious, some simply ignore them. But the way I conduct myself has as much bearing on people's reactions as the tattoos may.

People are like icebergs. They come in all different shapes and colors. Some are smooth and some are really rough looking. We each have a vision of that perfect iceberg in our mind. We can only see 10% of an iceberg. The rest...90%...we cant see it's under water. 90% of a person is on the inside and it takes time to see that part of a person.

so true. The other 90% takes a good axe to see

Three shall be the number of fins, and the number of fins shall be three. Four shalt thou not fit, neither shalt thou fit two, except that thou then installest a third. Six is right out.

:lol: :neener:
rheinb.jpg

Three shall be the number of fins, and the number of fins shall be three. Four shalt thou not fit, neither shalt thou fit two, except that thou then installest a third. Six is right out.

:lol: :neener:
View attachment 324547

I've seen rockets fly just fine with only two fins...

I so need to build a five or six finned rocket, and name it "Right Out."

I take no moral offense at anyone who has tats or piercings, although I do think it is weird in a lot of cases. For me, I don't want holes in my skin. I'm diabetic; I have enough holes in my skin to last a lifetime. And as someone else wrote, my tastes have changed so much over the years that I have no idea if something I like enough now to get tattooed on me, is something I would still like years from now.

I did have a bleached rat tail when I was a kid....

+1...
Except for the rat tail part ??
What's up with that John,, lol...

My skillet and I will discuss it with you at AirFest..... :bangpan:

Ohh crap....
Now I've done it...
And it just had to be right before Airfest,, lol...

Tony

What a wonderful analogy...
Really well said...
My greatest compliments...
Aw screw it,,
I'm stealin this one,, lol...

Teddy

That's what I came here for! [emoji1]
Thanks!

I've seen rockets fly just fine with only two fins...

I so need to build a five or six finned rocket, and name it "Right Out."

OK guys, this is the Watering Hole. Open territory for subjects NOT rocketry related. There’s a category for everything imaginable regarding rockets in this site, so let’s be fair. I’m sure you wouldn’t want someone derailing YOUR thread on a non related subject, right?

If you are getting tattoos or piercings to impress or gain the approval of others it's probably going to be a very narrow path. If, on the other hand, you really want to get them then do it with the understanding that not everyone will agree or understand.

I was given a choice as a teenager. Either get my hair cut or move out of the house. Not sure if my Father was serious but the tone of his voice led me to the barber shop. Since that time I have felt like it's really none of my business what any one else does as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. How they dress, what they pierce or decorate, length or style of their hair, who they marry, etc.

I find some piercings and tattoos tasteful and others not so much but that's my problem. I have never found anything I felt like I wanted to put on display the rest of my life .
Keep in mind I'm older so have gone through a couple of transitions so I realize that what I like at one point in my life may not be that important later on. :)

I finally did get three tattoos a couple of years ago. All are where they are not visable unless you are in the shower with me (and you really shouldn't be). These were to make sure I was positioned correctly for my radiation treatments for prostate cancer. I was happy to get these particular tattoos.

Just thought I would weigh in and remind everyone to never say never.

Oh, and anything over three fins is a complete waste of material and a weight sacrifice................unless it's a scale project. ;)

(Sorry Gary. Didn't see your post until after I posted.)

Last edited:
OK guys, this is the Watering Hole. Open territory for subjects NOT rocketry related. There’s a category for everything imaginable regarding rockets in this site, so let’s be fair. I’m sure you wouldn’t want someone derailing YOUR thread on a non related subject, right?

There is a difference between off topic and judgmental, religiously dogmatic, and sexist comments that only serve to be divisive about topics that matter 0% in a community like this.

There is a difference between off topic and judgmental, religiously dogmatic, and sexist comments that only serve to be divisive about topics that matter 0% in a community like this.

and we all knew that when we clicked the link....

Gary,
I do understand what you're trying to do, but I think you may have missed the subtle humor which was present in dhbarr's answer. None of us were trying to truly turn this into a thread about rockets here in the Watering Hole. We were trying to take the judgmental edge off though.
Steve

How can one be religious without being dogmatic?

here we go... back on topic!!!!

fb375c1750fc1ee558e2ee25562b0d88.jpg

84417.jpg

everyone happy now?

As much as I wish otherwise, I am subject to my own prejudices and failures.

Sometimes our prejudices keep us safe: "they look like a mugger/gang banger/pickpocket, I'll stay away/cross the street."

Sometimes they turn into ugly indictments of large swaths of the population based on things they can't change: bias against blacks/whites/Hispanics/men/etc.

Bias (positive or negative) based on people's actions are somewhat more justified. Most people with tattoos/piercings chose to get them. Judging people on their actions is (potentially) justifiable in some cases: getting tattoos/piercings, drug use, the people they associate with, sexual activity, the clothing they wear (or don't), finishing college, dropping out of high school, going to church, building rockets (with certain numbers of fins), posting on TRF...

Unfortunately we cannot spend hours getting to know everyone we come across. We have no choice but to use the limited information we have from how they present themselves (and our past experiences with others who act similarly) to determine how to proceed in our limited or initial interactions with them, or even whether or not to interact with them at all.

All that said, I try to give everyone the benefit of the doubt, but at the same time, I proceed with varying levels of caution around new people. I feel this is reasonable.

Who was that NASA spokesman who had tattoo sleeves, a goatee, and wore Hawaiian shirts for his presentations.. surely he's to be judged (and he was!)

I was given a choice as a teenager. Either get my hair cut or move out of the house. Not sure if my Father was serious but the tone of his voice led me to the barber shop. Since that time I have felt like it's really none of my business what any one else does as long as it doesn't infringe on the rights of others. How they dress, what they pierce or decorate, length or style of their hair, who they marry, etc.

I finally did get three tattoos a couple of years ago. All are where they are not visable unless you are in the shower with me (and you really shouldn't be). These were to make sure I was positioned correctly for my radiation treatments for prostate cancer. I was happy to get these particular tattoos.

https://xkcd.com/933/ has a similar story to yours

A few years ago, my brother rediscovered a contract between him and Grandpa that Grandpa would shave his beard if my brother cut his (long) hair. I believe that both held up their end.

I'm not interested in a tattoo for myself, but if I judged everyone who had one, I'd be writing off most of the people in this city, not to mention well over half of my co-workers.

And as someone else wrote, my tastes have changed so much over the years that I have no idea if something I like enough now to get tattooed on me, is something I would still like years from now.

I suppose my grandfather was the reason I never got one. As a kid, I’d ask him about the Indian Head tattoo he had on his arm. Looking similar to the one below. He was nearing 80 and the tattoo was prolly 60 years old by then. His comment about it usually went, “I wish I had never got that thing”. He had regrets that could have meant how it lost its meaning, (if it ever had one) or his religious beliefs that curved his taste for it. Regardless, he knew he’d never be able to get rid of it. He was no longer fond of it and was stuck with it. He saw it as part of his youthful ignorance that would haunt him till his death.
I’m pretty sure not everyone will share my grandfather’s attitude when they reach a ‘ripe old age’, but I was certain I didn’t want to regret having a tattoo. So I gave them my artistic attention instead. When I sit with someone wearing tattoos, I look at them. I let them know I want to look at them closely too. I look for meaning and artistic skills. I am easily impressed with good artistic skills. In fact, I even helped a buddy of mine design one of his own tattoos.
As impressive as then can seem, I’m still not interested in having one. Like a before mention statement said it, I really don’t know what I would have or want for a tattoo.

Indian Head Tattoo.jpg

I helped design this one.

Sean tat 2.jpg

Reminds me of a joke I heard John Davidson tell way back on some variety show in the 70s. He said that when he was a teen, he wanted to borrow the car keys.

His dad said, "Cut your hair, stop listening to loud music, and read the Bible every day." So he stopped listening to loud music and read the Bible every day. But he didn't get his hair cut.

The next time he asked for the car keys, his dad said, "No. You did two out of three, but you still have long hair."

John said, "Well, Dad, my Bible has pictures in it, and it looks to me like Jesus had long hair."

And his dad said, "Yeah. And he walked everywhere he went, too."

I'm not interested in a tattoo for myself, but if I judged everyone who had one, I'd be writing off most of the people in this city, not to mention well over half of my co-workers.

+1

The ink is everywhere according to my unofficial observations (in my red state, ultra red county, insurance company workplace) and Jesus said "Don't be a hater" so there it is. :)

And a correctly aligned 3 fin rocket is a thing of beauty beyond the understanding of you 4 fin mouth breathers ! :wink:

This must be the reason people won't sit next to me on the bus.

The thing about judging a person as someone to stay away from is, we'll never know if it was a false judgement if we do the "safe" thing and stay away.

I've had some great conversations with strangers on public transit. I've also found most people don't want to be any closer to a stranger than absolutely necessary on public transit...

Back