Tattoos and piercings...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Count me in on the permanent hb lead pencil "tatoo". Got one in the arm from 4th grade, was inflicked by a fellow student but I have been carrying it since

Add me to that fraternity. My lead pencil "tattoo" is in the side of my right ring finger, accidentally self-administered during the fifth grade.

In addition, I have a large gravel "tattoo" on my left knee - the remnants of a road rash acquired from a wipe-out on a racing bike. (those thin tires don't play well with gravel)

Last edited:
friend on mines a truck driver. few years ago, heading east on I-96 out by brighton during morning rush hours, a woman was entering the eway and not paying attention. he was in the right lane with about 40,000lbs of drywall on the trailer. MOST people know traffic merging into eway has to adjust to enter. woman coming onto eway merged right into his trailer. she slammed on the brakes,right rear wheel of trailer slammed car and all hell broke lose.
thankfully, she wasnt injured, but 40,000lbs of drywall over I96 during rush hour wasnt fun for cleanup crew.

so, to the point of the story:
the woman driving( early 20's) had a nose ring my friend called a door knocker. investigating officer took both into his car seperately to get their statements. afterwards, my friend was standing in front of the car talkin to the woman. then the cop comes up and says blahblahblah, then,"i have one last question for you,ma'am- was that ring in your nose before the accident?"

the kicker:
the car the woman was driving was a loaner as hers was in the shop getting accident repairs. DOH!!

From pencils.com

"Pencils are generally certified to the ASTM D4236 standards or in Europe to EN71, part 3 standards to assure compliance with the law. The U.S. Writing Instruments Manufacturers Association has it’s own PMA Seal of certification for toxicity purposes which includes a higher level of testing of key materials with potential toxin content and is a voluntary program it’s members choose to participate in.

"If pencils you buy do not contain one of these certification marks there is some risk that there may be lead or other toxins at levels higher than allowed by law. However, lack of such a mark does not mean the pencils are necessarily unsafe. To be sure you should always look for one or more of these marks on the pencils you buy. [emphasis mine]"

Good grief, where did this come from? I hope you know that that verse(and any other law in the Old Testament for that matter) only applies to Judaism. From the early 1st century(Christ / New Testament / Christian era) everything is permissible. That is why Christians can eat bacon and get tatoos but Jews cannot.

Anywayyyyssss. I have no tatoos only because I just haven't found anything that I would be willing to have on me for the rest of my life. All the designs Ive seen seem like a cliche of some sort. Nothing wrong with it. Just not appealing for me.

As far as how it affects someones looks, sure it affects your look and how people perceive you. But so does a certain hair style. If you wear a mullet with handlebar stache along with biker sunglasses, you'll be treated differently than if you are clean shaven with a designer suit. I think sometimes people decide on a certain look because they want to be perceived in a certain way.

Not my thing, and not a good way to judge character because you never know. Either way, to each his own. Whatever your style, do it right.

I didn't know this,, makes perfect sense,, wow,, very cool..

I totally agree,, I think you're saying the same thing I said,, the only thing that makes sense to me as life long is the example below of Eric's daughter's foot tat..

+1...

Teddy- shop on my route is route run by two amazing young ladies. Not only men out there drillin'

I think what I'm saying may be a bit sexist,,
I just don't think an exposed tat on a woman looks good,, ehhh,, for the most part I guess...

I have a tattoo of my daughters foot print from birth, her initials , and her date of birth right over my heart . I guess I am a bad person for being able to look in the mirror every morning and instantly bringing back the best day of my life.
Eric

Super, super cool Eric...
Good for you man..
I bet you had that thought out long in advance..
In order to have done what is necessary when she was born...
Super cool,, good for you man...

Teddy

[video=youtube;06dKRdhDT78]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06dKRdhDT78[/video]

Good grief, where did this come from? I hope you know that that verse(and any other law in the Old Testament for that matter) only applies to Judaism. From the early 1st century(Christ / New Testament / Christian era) everything is permissible. That is why Christians can eat bacon and get tatoos but Jews cannot.

Anywayyyyssss. I have no tatoos only because I just haven't found anything that I would be willing to have on me for the rest of my life. All the designs Ive seen seem like a cliche of some sort. Nothing wrong with it. Just not appealing for me.

As far as how it affects someones looks, sure it affects your look and how people perceive you. But so does a certain hair style. If you wear a mullet with handlebar stache along with biker sunglasses, you'll be treated differently than if you are clean shaven with a designer suit. I think sometimes people decide on a certain look because they want to be perceived in a certain way.

Not my thing, and not a good way to judge character because you never know. Either way, to each his own. Whatever your style, do it right.

Everything in moderation..

"Suicide Girls" need I say more?! I've dealt with a few (and lusted after a few!)

This all comes down to a cultural / generational thing.. What did our parents say when the mini skirt came out? Punk Rock & purple Mohawks? That "Elvis guy" and his swingin' hips?! The bikini even?!

You may not like it, and think less of someone because of tattoos or piercings, but other do. And just because someone looks all prim & proper, with a bible under his / her arm, doesn't mean they're not an a**hole, a d*ck, a child molester, or .. (Remember, there is always that little old lady who is mean, foul mouthed and just unpleasant in every neighbourhood.. And, the local hells angels chapter do annual toy drives..)

But I do agree, there is a line.. Crazy face & head tattoos & enough metal to make you sink is definitely over the line.. And yes, that full colour modernist sleeve looks cool today. but in 30 years.. maybe not.. And that drunken "hey my friend got a tattoo gun, lets try it out" night is always a regret..

I take no moral offense at anyone who has tats or piercings, although I do think it is weird in a lot of cases. For me, I don't want holes in my skin. I'm diabetic; I have enough holes in my skin to last a lifetime. And as someone else wrote, my tastes have changed so much over the years that I have no idea if something I like enough now to get tattooed on me, is something I would still like years from now.

I did have a bleached rat tail when I was a kid....

Everything in moderation..

"Suicide Girls" need I say more?! I've dealt with a few (and lusted after a few!)

This all comes down to a cultural / generational thing.. What did our parents say when the mini skirt came out? Punk Rock & purple Mohawks? That "Elvis guy" and his swingin' hips?! The bikini even?!

You may not like it, and think less of someone because of tattoos or piercings, but other do. And just because someone looks all prim & proper, with a bible under his / her arm, doesn't mean they're not an a**hole, a d*ck, a child molester, or .. (Remember, there is always that little old lady who is mean, foul mouthed and just unpleasant in every neighbourhood.. And, the local hells angels chapter do annual toy drives..)

But I do agree, there is a line.. Crazy face & head tattoos & enough metal to make you sink is definitely over the line.. And yes, that full colour modernist sleeve looks cool today. but in 30 years.. maybe not.. And that drunken "hey my friend got a tattoo gun, lets try it out" night is always a regret..

Someone mentioned "bikini"

[video=youtube;88QOmxSa-IE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88QOmxSa-IE[/video]

I'm an Othodox Jew

I couldn't agree more..
I think women are so freakin beautiful it's just insane...
I can find something beautiful in just about any woman...
Then you have a really gorgeous young beautiful woman
and she's all marked up by a man with a needle and some ink...
Ya wanna get the thread locked,, lol..
God made my mind,,
and God made women..
I think they're so beautiful by his design...
What in the world makes you think your going to go to a man that draws nice
and he's going to improve on what God made ???

And one more thing, while I'm on a rant,, lol..

What I thought was the coolest drawing I'd ever seen
in 6 months doesn't look so cool anymore as tastes change...
And in 4 years looks totally silly.......

OK,,
Now start counting,, lol...

Teddy

+1

Thanks, Teddy.

I'm not completely against tattoos, but yeah, I could probably count on one hand the good ones I've seen...

I like women that get a tramp stamp on the small of their back. Like that barbed wire tribal design or one around their arm or ankle. Doesn't really bother me unless it's on their chest or face. As far as piercings I've seen women get a small diamond or gem stone in their nose which is cool...earrings are a given...no problem there either. I think its back to what looks good and if its tastefully done and not overkill.

I agree some young people think its cool to cover their body with piercings and tattoos, but they will never be able to get job unless it's in a freak show or working at a circus.

Actually, Christians are not permitted everything, some of the Old Testament still applies. The Ten Commandments are from the Old Testament, but Christians teach them to their kids to this day. Most of what still applies is also mentioned in the New Testament, and most of the stuff that was dropped was explicitly mentioned too, like the dietary laws being dropped in Acts. Most of the stuff that was kept was understood to be universal in the Old Testament, like instructions given right after the flood to all of humanity, which at the time was all of eight people.

Anyway, I've never seen a definitive answer on tattoos, but the prohibition was probably because some neighboring tribe used them as part of their religion.

It seems to me that as a person gets more markings, I'm not as inclined to 'pay' attention to them during conversation but rather their covering. That IS why they got the markings to begin with, right? Then I find myself going "what?" more often.

Two of my kids have tattoos; personally, I'm not a fan but tattoos in moderation don't bother me. I do make an instant judgement of anyone with neck or facial tattoos or who has lots and lots of them, and it's not a positive judgement.

As for piercings, one or two in the ear? No big deal, regardless of gender. Facial piercings? I look and think "Why did you put -insert word for fecal matter here- in your face?!" The judgement is not a positive one, though I am becoming a little more tolerant of nose piercings if it's a small ring to one side.

That said, I know some really great people who have violated all of my opinions above. What the piercing or tattoo has done is cause me to make an initial judgement, but I'm willing to give people a chance.

I have no tattoos and no desire for one. In college, I considered an ear piercing. My wife has no tattoos.

-Kevin

Now we're in trouble...
We did even worse then getting the thread locked...
We have awakened the Troj,, lol..

Teddy

I guess I am a bad person for being able to look in the mirror every morning and instantly bringing back the best day of my life.

That's something good to see in the mirror each morning. It is quite unlike on of my wife's patients who got a tattoo when drunk. It read "Fish and Chips", and was written backwards so it would read properly in the mirror. It was on his forehead :eek:

I'm an Othodox Jew

Can't be.... i heard everyone was christian ;)

When he first replied, my first thought was "well thats a pretty big assumption..."

As to everyone saying you'll never get a job with a bunch of tats..... More and more places are open to it. I work for the big bad government, and while there are rules I've never seen anyone harassed for having full sleeves extending onto the hands, and I'd say over half the people have some kind of ink.

As for the comments of "I have XXX reaction and thats what they want" I'm sure some people do it for the shock value. But the majority of people I know what tattoos do it for themselves...and don't care at all what you think.

Personally, I have none of either decoration. I'd get a tattoo, even kinda want one. Just can't decide what. I figure I'm 40, so by the time I die at 60 it'll still look great!

Last edited:
People are like icebergs. They come in all different shapes and colors. Some are smooth and some are really rough looking. We each have a vision of that perfect iceberg in our mind. We can only see 10% of an iceberg. The rest...90%...we cant see it's under water. 90% of a person is on the inside and it takes time to see that part of a person.

Tony

Back