Tattoos and piercings...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeus-cat

Reaction score
...I really dislike them; especially on women. I was getting my hair cut about a week ago and this young woman had one of the most beautiful faces I had ever seen. And she ruined it (in my opinion) with a nose ring. A small version like you see in bull's noses. I couldn't really look at her much as I kept fixating on the nose ring. It just looked so stupid to me and she really did have a gorgeous face. OK, I know it's her face and she can do what she wants, but I can't ever recall a piercing, other than earrings (and no big fan of those either), that I thought looked good, much less actually enhanced the appearance of someone.

Now I don't think tattoos aren't as bad, but again I can't remember seeing one that I thought improved someone's appearance. Again, people can do what they want, but I think a lot of these things tend to be impulsive and tattoos are fairly permanent. And costly and painful. And even more costly and painful to remove.

Medically, I do not like them because of the infections I have to deal with, but they definitely send a message.

All things have their place. I've seen people who carry it well, and ones that look terrible. Depends on the person and their style and personality. If it fits, cool. If they're faking it, it'll look terrible.

And of course, there's a line where it's just too much and a mental disorder.

I agree with DavidMcCann, some people can pull it off, others, not so much.

I dig ink that has meaning... that being said, I don't have any, but was always intrigued be them...

Leviticus 19:28: Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Leviticus 19:28: Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the LORD.

Do you wear poly-cotton pants or eat shrimp?

4... 3... 2...

I have a tattoo. I just sharpened a pencil in the fourth grade and sat down. Started writing furiously and my pencil slid off my desk and I stabbed myself in the right upper thigh. The tip broke but I was able to pull it out. I have a "blue" period on my leg now for 51 years.:lol:

Yeah, ditto on that guy above. Totally unemployable unless he works in a tattoo/piercings shop but then again, I wonder how he paid for all that stuff if on the dole.

Shoot, it's getting so one doesn't have to go to a circus/sideshow to see a tattooed lady anymore. Just take a walk around town and see a ton of 'em. A lot of them darn near weigh a ton too! If you're ugly, ink can make you "uglier"
if one is not careful!

I don't mind if one gets inked with some meaning but it's best to have it in an easily covered site. Many employers will mandate that any tattoos are covered at work and they can get away with that. I see a lot of "bandages"
on people and it's likely they are covering some ink.

I remember a Mexican fellow who actually had a work of art on his back. It was the Crucifixion of Christ and looked like an old master did it. He had no other markings anywhere on his arms, legs, hands or face and could
only see it with his shirt off. Like it or not, there is a ton of prejudice against ink especially in the work place and it costs even more money to get them removed. A dermatologist I know was charging $6000 to laser off even
a small tattoo and the party went to a tattoo artist who used white ink that will greatly "erase" it but not get it to disappear completely. Kurt

I have a tattoo. I just sharpened a pencil in the fourth grade and sat down. Started writing furiously and my pencil slid off my desk and I stabbed myself in the right upper thigh. The tip broke but I was able to pull it out. I have a "blue" period on my leg now for 51 years.:lol:

Yeah, ditto on that guy above. Totally unemployable unless he works in a tattoo/piercings shop but then again, I wonder how he paid for all that stuff if on the dole.

Shoot, it's getting so one doesn't have to go to a circus/sideshow to see a tattooed lady anymore. Just take a walk around town and see a ton of 'em. A lot of them darn near weigh a ton too! If you're ugly, ink can make you "uglier"
if one is not careful!

I don't mind if one gets inked with some meaning but it's best to have it in an easily covered site. Many employers will mandate that any tattoos are covered at work and they can get away with that. I see a lot of "bandages"
on people and it's likely they are covering some ink.

I remember a Mexican fellow who actually had a work of art on his back. It was the Crucifixion of Christ and looked like an old master did it. He had no other markings anywhere on his arms, legs, hands or face and could
only see it with his shirt off. Like it or not, there is a ton of prejudice against ink especially in the work place and it costs even more money to get them removed. A dermatologist I know was charging $6000 to laser off even
a small tattoo and the party went to a tattoo artist who used white ink that will greatly "erase" it but not get it to disappear completely. Kurt
That's funny. I have one of those, too.

Got mine pretty much the same way but never was able toget the small piece of lead out.

I couldn't agree more..
I think women are so freakin beautiful it's just insane...
I can find something beautiful in just about any woman...
Then you have a really gorgeous young beautiful woman
and she's all marked up by a man with a needle and some ink...
Ya wanna get the thread locked,, lol..
God made my mind,,
and God made women..
I think they're so beautiful by his design...
What in the world makes you think your going to go to a man that draws nice
and he's going to improve on what God made ???

And one more thing, while I'm on a rant,, lol..

What I thought was the coolest drawing I'd ever seen
in 6 months doesn't look so cool anymore as tastes change...
And in 4 years looks totally silly.......

OK,,
Now start counting,, lol...

Teddy

I think facial tattoos are a good thing.
You can tell a person is totally crazy from a long distance and not make the mistake of speaking to them.

M

We are flawed to the hilt to begin with, such as disease, deformities and maladies everywhere. Something sure screwed up during the "get it right the first time" process. Might as well make an attempt to fix things the second time.

Have to agree Both Piercings and Tattoo's deface the person.

I've never understood the compulsion to permanently scar oneself with either Tattoo's and/or piercings. Just doesn't make any sense to me at all, including tattoo's to remember a loved one, dead friend or family member.

I agree everyone has the right to do to themselves whatever they wish but I shouldn't have to look at the results.

Good grief, where did this come from? I hope you know that that verse(and any other law in the Old Testament for that matter) only applies to Judaism. From the early 1st century(Christ / New Testament / Christian era) everything is permissible. That is why Christians can eat bacon and get tatoos but Jews cannot.

Anywayyyyssss. I have no tatoos only because I just haven't found anything that I would be willing to have on me for the rest of my life. All the designs Ive seen seem like a cliche of some sort. Nothing wrong with it. Just not appealing for me.

As far as how it affects someones looks, sure it affects your look and how people perceive you. But so does a certain hair style. If you wear a mullet with handlebar stache along with biker sunglasses, you'll be treated differently than if you are clean shaven with a designer suit. I think sometimes people decide on a certain look because they want to be perceived in a certain way.

Not my thing, and not a good way to judge character because you never know. Either way, to each his own. Whatever your style, do it right.

I spend much of my life making sure nobody pierces my body with sharp metal instruments, I'm sure as hell not gonna pay somebody to do it.

Teddy- shop on my route is route run by two amazing young ladies. Not only men out there drillin'

...I really dislike them; especially on women. I was getting my hair cut about a week ago and this young woman had one of the most beautiful faces I had ever seen. And she ruined it (in my opinion) with a nose ring. A small version like you see in bull's noses. I couldn't really look at her much as I kept fixating on the nose ring. It just looked so stupid to me and she really did have a gorgeous face. OK, I know it's her face and she can do what she wants, but I can't ever recall a piercing, other than earrings (and no big fan of those either), that I thought looked good, much less actually enhanced the appearance of someone.

Now I don't think tattoos aren't as bad, but again I can't remember seeing one that I thought improved someone's appearance. Again, people can do what they want, but I think a lot of these things tend to be impulsive and tattoos are fairly permanent. And costly and painful. And even more costly and painful to remove.

I have a tattoo of my daughters foot print from birth, her initials , and her date of birth right over my heart . I guess I am a bad person for being able to look in the mirror every morning and instantly bringing back the best day of my life.

Eric

That's funny. I have one of those, too.

Got mine pretty much the same way but never was able toget the small piece of lead out.

Count me in on the permanent hb lead pencil "tatoo". Got one in the arm from 4th grade, was inflicked by a fellow student but I have been carrying it since, as well as the scar on my forehead from a hockey hit from behind into the boards splitting my forehead open and the resulting aggravation from fist-ti-cuffs with the perputrator after. I am Canadian after all:headbang:

I've always wondered what those people will be thinking when they look in the mirror when they 70 or 80 years old. I don't think I want to see that....

Phil L.

As someone with tattoos, you're all welcome to make your own choices, ink or no. But when people cross the line into the "I shouldn't have to see it" territory, I have a problem. I did not ask you to look at me. To be offended because of the way I choose to adorn myself, makes about as much sense as to be offended by the car I drive. This is supposed to be the land of personal liberty, not a nanny state.

So so many precious threads lately.
Folks getting butt hurt about the gender of a fictitious TV character? Check
Folks butt hurt about stuff other people do to their own body(and by other people I mean women, and by people I mean not people, because women aint people, amiright)? Check
Arbitrary out of context bible verses? Check
Dismissing others medical problems? Check

Are you guys a freaking rocket forum or a fox news website comment area?

3... 2.... 1....

Back