PML Small Endeavour

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geodehunter

Reaction score
On the Small Endeavour do you guy's use the ejection piston thats in the kit? I have read several instances where it actually caught up in the airframe and did not work. I'm thinking on leaving mine out and just using wadding instead. Any thought's on if this is the right direction to go. Thanks!!!

On the Small Endeavour do you guy's use the ejection piston thats in the kit? I have read several instances where it actually caught up in the airframe and did not work. I'm thinking on leaving mine out and just using wadding instead. Any thought's on if this is the right direction to go. Thanks!!!

I like pistons, but I think most flyers do not. What you're proposing works just fine but requires more black powder than with a piston.

Steve Shannon

Pistons just require a bit more thought to use.

• I like to rejigger the connection of the piston so I can remove it. This overcomes one problem folks have with pistons -> the tube gets a bit gritty and the piston may stick.
  • Since it looks like you live in the frozen north, make sure that it slides freely in the coldest conditions you are likely to fly. The Quantum Tube material shrinks faster than the phenolic the piston is made from.
  • I glass the inside of the piston as the strap tends to crack it after a while
  • I also install it "upside down" which gives me a bit more packing space.
Seems like a lot, however I find them a great way to protect my laundry.

If I were to build another PML kit, I would probably leave out the piston. I once lost a PML Explorer to a lawn dart from about 3,000 feet. I think the piston might have been to blame but since I never found the rocket, I'll never know for sure.

My small Endeavour was already built when I bought it. My original 4" Endeavour had a piston and I didn't like it. Just my I removed the piston and replaced it with a chute protector and have had no problems.
Just my 2 cents worth.

Don't use the piston. Its not that big of a rocket. You will be fine with amount of BP that is supplied with the motor for ejection.

My Small Endeavour (my L1 rocket!) has the piston. I've built a few other PML kits with the pistons as well. I'm currently working on an AMRAAM 2, and am leaving the piston out so I don't have to worry about it.

If you leave the piston in, coat the inside with epoxy to help strengthen it and help it stand up to repeated ejection blasts.

Back