Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jd2cylman

Still not Carl... ;-)
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So, anyone besides me and my work buddy go see this movie? Saw a blurb movie review on noon news Friday. Reviewer said stay away from Valerian. So, challenge accepted. Apparently the reviewer has deeper needs from a movie. I was entertained for the duration. That's all I can ask from a movie. It's from Luc Beeson, who did The 5th Element, which I like a lot, so based on the previews, I thought it looked good. I was not disappointed. I don't think it will be a blockbuster, but it was good. Will I buy the Blu Ray :confused2: we'll see.

The previews made it look visually similar to the Ender's Game movie. Hopefully it's better than that pile of crap.

I saw it. In 3D. Visuals are amazing, worth it for the extra cost of 3D (YMMV.) Story had it's strengths and weak points, but had a lot of fresh creativity mixed in with nods to other films. An entertaining time had. It's not the 5th Element, so don't expect it to be.

I saw it. In 3D. Visuals are amazing, worth it for the extra cost of 3D (YMMV.) Story had it's strengths and weak points, but had a lot of fresh creativity mixed in with nods to other films. An entertaining time had. It's not the 5th Element, so don't expect it to be.

My buddy's wife doesn't like the 3D, so we saw the flat version. Next weekend, I might take the younger boy to the 3D to compare the view.

Followed a similar story arc to Ender's game, with lanky blue-ish people like Avatar, and very creative visuals. Loved the marketplace scene as it addressed dimensional in a different way.

I saw it in 3D, thought the movie was very good, and I could see it getting a cult following, more than likely the same people that love 5th Element will love this movie. The market place scene was great, the visuals are really really good, and it was great to see so many different species and not have them be flat, uninspired like so many other movies.

Looking forward to seeing this again to see the details I missed the first time around.

I don't think it helps that the title is rather obscure and confusing. I have no idea what it means.

I think it is the name of one of the characters, and the fictional place where the movie is set.

You are correct!! The city of a thousand planets is a space station inhabited by thousands of species. Valerian is the main character. The story is from a graphic novel series of a similar name.

I enjoy visually lavish productions. I just bought my tickets for Valerian, and am looking forward to the Blade Runner sequel (hopefully, I can tolerate that much Ryan Gosling in one sitting)

I enjoy visually lavish productions. I just bought my tickets for Valerian, and am looking forward to the Blade Runner sequel (hopefully, I can tolerate that much Ryan Gosling in one sitting)

I think you'll enjoy it. As far as Blade Runner 2049... Hmm, I'm sorta on the fence. I'm sure I'll see it, but maybe as a rental... :confused2:

Not sure about the movie. I loved the Fifth Element, and just saw that at the 25th (or was it 30th?) showing again in theaters. I was looking forward to this, but then read that the male lead was sort of weak...in any event, as soon as I found out it was a comic book series, I ordered that, and I'll read it as soon as I can.

Didn't do much for me. I enjoyed the beginning, and the ending was ok, but the shoot'em up chase in between was pretty brainless. Did not like the main characters at all.

Dunkirk was much better. Memorable lines:
"The tide is coming in."
"How do you know?"
"The bodies come back."​

The only problem I had with Dunkirk is that you didn't get the sense of hundreds of thousands of men, and a thousand ships... it seemed small. Very interesting nonlinear storytelling though - you see the same scene from many different points of view at different times. Not nearly at the level of 'Saving Private Ryan' though.

The only problem I had with Dunkirk is that you didn't get the sense of hundreds of thousands of men, and a thousand ships... it seemed small.
I wonder how many of the participants experienced it in exactly that small way?

Back