Saturn V Fin Shroud Mystery.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
DSC_0154-XL.jpg So just exactly is this piece? I've duplicated the louver area (which I don't know what it is) but have yet to get the true surrounding piece shape. Just what does this do on the rocket?

Data returned from one or more of the first Saturn V flights revealed that there was an area of static airflow at the base of the first stage, where unburnt fuel and oxidizer was accumulating. The fear was that the residual gasses might combust on future flights, potentially damaging the vehicle. The "scoops" were developed and added to disturb this area of stagnation, eliminating the potential problem.

James

Data returned from one or more of the first Saturn V flights revealed that there was an area of static airflow at the base of the first stage, where unburnt fuel and oxidizer was accumulating. The fear was that the residual gasses might combust on future flights, potentially damaging the vehicle. The "scoops" were developed and added to disturb this area of stagnation, eliminating the potential problem.

James

Thanks a lot! It was bugging the hell out of me and you got it. Would you know of better pics so I may use them for the continuation of the construction of these pieces? Thanks again for the info!

On the current Estes Saturn V, you can see one of the original placements of the scoops (on the rear skirt of the SI-C - between the fairings) , and on one of the plastic static models (Airfix? 1/96 Revell?) you can see an alternate placement (on the fairings, either side of the fins and forward a bit) so the idea of them changed quite a bit before they were actually constructed, and in fact, they were left off of later flights (though the mounting flanges were left).

On the current Estes Saturn V, you can see one of the original placements of the scoops (on the rear skirt of the SI-C - between the fairings) , and on one of the plastic static models (Airfix? 1/96 Revell?) you can see an alternate placement (on the fairings, either side of the fins and forward a bit) so the idea of them changed quite a bit before they were actually constructed, and in fact, they were left off of later flights (though the mounting flanges were left).

Thanks for the additional info. I have to look at my old Estes Saturn as well as my Apogee one to see how they did with these details. Thanks!

Back