The Earth is Flat!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK..

So, on their world, the north pole is the center of the disk, the south pole is around the perimeter, er, circumference.

So, if I sail around the north pole, at, say 10° north latitude, at a constant speed, the trip time would be X days..
Now, if I sail around the south pole at the 10° south latitude at the same speed, does it take the same amount of time to do so? Why? Why not?! Surely simple geometry plays a part here. or is geometry some magical math?!

What about the guys who've walked across Antarctica, thru the south pole, and come out at the other side? Is the south pole some magical portal?

Wormholes.

Imma gonna say that distance is relative, sort of like how time is relative. Somehow, approaching the South Pole is the relativistic equivalent of approaching the Speed of Light. Everyone who goes there is YUUUGGGE! The problems associated with becoming infinitely large are "perceived" as "cold".

Now we know why polar bears never eat penguins - they'd get their tiny, white butts kicked.

Last edited:
Not all of it is troll, or people who are just bored. I volunteer at a youth center, and there is a young man that also volunteers there who is flat-earth for religious reasons. I have read the passage in Psalms he points to justify his belief - very poetic section with the words "pillars of the earth" - easily poetic license for the very natural phenomena that make life on this planet so interesting. Not exactly where I would go for a literal description of a physical structure. The young man left a book he was reading out on an end table, so I picked it up. Book was a supposed scriptural proof of flat earth. Published in 1901, and as far as I could tell, never updated, although recently printed with a nice paper-back cover. Quick flip through findings: Not really a lot of what I would call an argument from scripture, no math, not much science, no diagrams. The scientific topics discussed were lightly-grounded in writings and discussions of the 1850s - 1880s.

Without starting a religious discussion, biblical scholars are well aware that the "scientific" view of bronze age and pre-bronze age (early Old Testament) people was that the earth was a disk, the mountains surrounded the edges of the disk, and those mountains held up the sky. Those "scientists" lived in Mesopotamia and since none of them had ventured over those mountains, that's how the world looked to them. Having no conception of vacuum or "space" they believed that above that sky was water and below the earth was... more water. That worldview helps to explain phrases like "pillars of the earth" as well as how Noah's flood engulfed "the whole earth." If Mesopotamia was as far as anyone had traveled, that was, for them, the whole earth. When reading books written thousands of years ago, it is always useful to consider the audience to whom it was written. It wasn't that long ago when scientists believed that there were only four elements, earth, air, fire and water. Using ancient texts to validate your idea that the earth is flat is scientific, literary, and theological malpractice.

If you look at the course people "sail around the world" you quickly realize they're not sailing around the world. They're sailing around Antarctica. Both the flat earthers and global conspiracy are wrong.

7754400190_le-parcours-du-vendee-globe-2012.jpg

route_des_participants.jpg

...the "scientific" view of bronze age and pre-bronze age (early Old Testament) people was that the earth was a disk, the mountains surrounded the edges of the disk, and those mountains held up the sky. Those "scientists" lived in Mesopotamia and since none of them had ventured over those mountains, that's how the world looked to them.

Well stated. Completely agree. It reminds me of Star Trek TOS "For the world is hollow and I have touched the sky."

When reading books written thousands of years ago, it is always useful to consider the audience to whom it was written. It wasn't that long ago when scientists believed that there were only four elements, earth, air, fire and water. Using ancient texts to validate your idea that the earth is flat is scientific, literary, and theological malpractice.

Again, this is very well articulated. Thanks. We should also remember that the same idea applies to things written just a few hundred years ago, or a few decades ago. Times change, sometimes quickly!

...We should also remember that the same idea applies to things written just a few hundred years ago, or a few decades ago. Times change, sometimes quickly!

Or things being written today. Some of the things we "know" will certainly be proven wrong.

If you look at the course people "sail around the world" you quickly realize they're not sailing around the world. They're sailing around Antarctica. Both the flat earthers and global conspiracy are wrong.

Of course! You must be right! It's really the SOUTH pole that's the center of the disc! Call a press conference!

Back