48 years ago today..... "The Eagle has landed"

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgegassaway

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Surprised nobody's posted this yet.

I've got a busy day so mainly starting this off for others to add to.

Here is a great piece of artwork posted by Ed Hengeveld‎ on Space Hipsters on Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1538737836190110&set=gm.1539890456055832&type=3

20157349_1538737836190110_4343683146024523120_o.jpg

I remember fighting with my older brother for a spot in front of our TV to watch it.

MAN, WHERE DID THE TIME GO!?

What's worse.....and now forty eight years later you hear: "Never happened.......you believe in Santa Claus too.." ?

And the earth is flat BTW.

The Wright Stuff Rocketeers will be launching rockets on the lawn in front of the Neil Armstrong Museum in Wapakoneta, OH on Saturday. And after we finish launching rockets some guy named Buzz will give a speech.

What's worse.....and now forty eight years later you hear: "Never happened.......you believe in Santa Claus too.." ?

And the earth is flat BTW.

Yeah but the OP's picture proves it was fake because eagles don't live on the moon.

I've been reminding everyone at work of this anniversary. This is also how I remember how old I am...I was born in the month that we landed on the moon. I often wished I could have seen this live, but alas, I'm sure my eyes were fixed on something else when this was broadcast to the world.

-brant

Last edited:
Just remember...........the moon isn't made of green cheese......it's made of American cheese...........

I remember sitting in front of the TV watching this. We were quite close to my school (I was in grade 1) and the whole class walked up to our house and sat on the floor in front of the TV watching it live. I recall wishing the picture was a bit clearer.

BTW, if you have not seen the movie "The Dish", it is worth a look. This is an Australian movie set at the Parkes radio telescope at the time of the moon landing. Very entertaining movie!

Forty-eight years...where did the time go? I guess I've taken to maundering in my old age. The summer of '69 was also a watershed event for me; that's the summer I learned how to sail (many years before I learned how to drive a car).

I remember fighting with my older brother for a spot in front of our TV to watch it.

MAN, WHERE DID THE TIME GO!?

Oh man you're not kidding..
Time is going by so fast it's scary...
How in the world did I get to be one of those old people ???

That's a beautiful piece of art...

Teddy

The Wright Stuff Rocketeers will be launching rockets on the lawn in front of the Neil Armstrong Museum in Wapakoneta, OH on Saturday. And after we finish launching rockets some guy named Buzz will give a speech.

Great way to mark the date!! Somebody's gotta get Buzz to sign a Saturn V!

And by happy coincidence, today, the Lego Saturn V set is back in stock at the Lego store! I've got mine, finally!

It was the 25th aniv. that got me back into rocketry, if only for a short while. My next door neighbor was an astrophysics grad student. I put together a cheap Estes kit and with his young family, we launched through several packs of motors. Finally gave up after the rocket got stuck on top of a building.

This is a great excuse...I mean "method" of introducing new generations to rocketry in general, and our hobby as fun. Hope you get "Buzzed".

BTW, if you have not seen the movie "The Dish", it is worth a look. This is an Australian movie set at the Parkes radio telescope at the time of the moon landing. Very entertaining movie!

I have "The Dish" on TV; very good movie. I love the scene where the dish loses lock on the moon and they desperately try to get it locked back on the signal.

I have "The Dish" on TV; very good movie. I love the scene where the dish loses lock on the moon and they desperately try to get it locked back on the signal.
One of my favorites, will have to get it out again.

So, I spent part of the day commemorating the 48th anniversary in a unique way......

Planning for landing 2:17 PM Central (Time of day when Eagle Landed)

Ssi6zrG.jpg

More info about today's flying in this post in my R/C Lunar Module Quadcopter thread..

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showt...dule-Quadcopter-project&p=1712654#post1712654

A short video, longer one with landing is at the above thread (I had to land the first flight very early due to a very unique situation....

[video=youtube;Y_Ri9G2heR0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_Ri9G2heR0[/video]

And three years ago today, I launched my first model rocket, which began all this madness...

[video=youtube;ABCaF5eAkOE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABCaF5eAkOE&t[/video]

I lived in Stony Brook on Long Island at the time. As a teenager I thought it was so cool. A bunch of my neighbors were Grumman engineers that worked on the LEM. The whole neighborhood was proud.

I've been reminding everyone at work of this anniversary. This is also how I remember how old I am...I was born in the month that we landed on the moon. I often wished I could have seen this live, but alas, I'm sure my eyes were fixed on something else when this was broadcast to the world.

-brant

I'm sure I was looking for a little shut eye while they were out for their stroll.

Back