Open Rocket download question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iaradtech

Reaction score
So I went to download the Open Rocket Software and my virus program said the .jar files could be harmful to my PC. Is this really a problem or is my virus software over reacting?
Are there other free Simulators I should check out?
I am a Newbie to all this.

Well, OR uses Java and that comes with all the fun that Java brings with it. But if you're downloading from the official OR website the file is safe.

As far as free simulators go, OR is the one you want to get started.

So I went to download the Open Rocket Software and my virus program said the .jar files could be harmful to my PC. Is this really a problem or is my virus software over reacting?
Are there other free Simulators I should check out?
I am a Newbie to all this.

It's not an overreaction as much as educational. Jar files are archived programming files that are interpreted by Java. Someone wishing to do bad things could do so by sending you a jar file or placing a jar file online where you could download it. However, jar files are also the way innocent programs like Open Rocket are published. Your anti-virus software is just making sure you are aware of the potential and the importance of knowing the source of your jar files.

Steve Shannon

As long as you get it from the OpenRocket website, it's fine. No worries.

The anti-virus is just reacting to the .jar file extension and providing the standard boilerplate warning. Same as if you download a program with a .exe extension. Just a reminder to be aware of where you download from.

OK. So I downloaded the Open Rocket software. Is there a place I can download rockets into the program for simulations? I have a LOC Precision Graduator and I want to do some simulations with different motors.

LOC Precision seems to list Rocksim files on their website (OR can load most Rocksim files), but I can't figure out how to actually download them.

RocketReviews has a decent library of files, including one for a modified Graduator. That might be a good starting point. Always check the weight and CG of your model to ensure you're getting accurate results.

you will have to contact Loc to get the rocsim file. given that one could build most 'cardboard' rockets from the design file(take longer) it does make some sense to 'restrict' access to those with a need ie. customers.
Rex

LOC Precision seems to list Rocksim files on their website (OR can load most Rocksim files), but I can't figure out how to actually download them.

RocketReviews has a decent library of files, including one for a modified Graduator. That might be a good starting point. Always check the weight and CG of your model to ensure you're getting accurate results.

Key thing to remember about rocketreviews is that you should always double check any and all values that you find in the sims posted there. There are some really good ones there, I'm sure, but I've seen a lot that were downright awful.

Back