Problem with rail button backing

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, they are great for sealing the hole your wires pass through in the av-bay bulkheads. Just drill the hole a little bigger to account for the wires. They eliminate the need for terminal blocks on the outside of the bulk plate.

I think I saw that once but forgot about it. Maybe on my next av-bay.
I usually just drill a hole and pass the e-match through and seal it with poster putty. Well-nut would be a sweet idea... Hmmmmmmmmm... Thanks for the tip!

I think I saw that once but forgot about it. Maybe on my next av-bay.
I usually just drill a hole and pass the e-match through and seal it with poster putty. Well-nut would be a sweet idea... Hmmmmmmmmm... Thanks for the tip!

I use well nuts for wire pass throughs in my av-bay lids, I use a flat needle file to cut a slot into the edge of the hole and tuck the wire into to keep it from getting pinched too tightly. The slot does not seem to affect sealing as I get no pressure spike on the altimeter data or residue on the interior of the av-bay.
As mentioned earlier well nuts also work well for new installation/retro-fitting rail buttons.

A well nut is a rubber flanged piece... Still a hole, stick it in the hole, it doesn't fall through because of the top flange. Put the button on top. Put a screw through the rail button and into the well nut. As you tighten the screw, it pulls the rubber up to the inside of the airframe, snug as you make it. Tighten all the way, you've sealed the hole and pulled the rail button tight against the airframe. No need for any glue at all. Just a hole big enough for the well nut.
Yes, they go inside, but there's no need to mount them in any way during construction.

Ya learned me sumpin'! I had no idea they went in from the outside. I thought they poked out from the inside and you screw into the narrow end.

Ya learned me sumpin'! I had no idea they went in from the outside. I thought they poked out from the inside and you screw into the narrow end.

Installed them last night. This is my new preferred way of installing rail buttons. It was hassle free, stupid easy, and easy to replace.

I use the well nuts all the time. They work great! You can buy them with either 1010 or 1015 rail buttons from Aerocon.com. Aerocon has a lot of interesting products that can help with your rocketry builds.

All the best,
Bob

I use well nuts for wire pass throughs in my av-bay lids, I use a flat needle file to cut a slot into the edge of the hole and tuck the wire into to keep it from getting pinched too tightly. The slot does not seem to affect sealing as I get no pressure spike on the altimeter data or residue on the interior of the av-bay.
As mentioned earlier well nuts also work well for new installation/retro-fitting rail buttons.

I bought my first ones from Kenny at Performance Hobbies. I've found that if the rocket is several years old, don't try to take them out. The end of the screw sticks out of the well nut inside and can corrode. Once that happens, they won't come apart again. I've repainted a couple of rockets with well masked, well used buttons still on them. Can't complain about well nuts thought, they work great, they just have a few draw backs.....

Back