The best band / musician / group of all tim e is ...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw Paul McCartney in concert last night. He certainly makes my very short list of most influential musicians of all time.
He's still rockin it at 75 years old!

My somewhat glib answer to the original post is that my favorite group, musician, and band is Harry Nilsson. After all, Paul and John declared him as both the Beatles favorite American artist and group.

Of course, I am also a huge Beatles fan. I have seen McCartney in concert four times including the show in Tampa where he fell into a hole on the stage. I have been to the four of Ringo's live All-Starr Band shows. I also saw Ringo sing live at a taping of The Tonight Show (during which he wore a Harry Nilsson button that I gave him!).

-- Roger

reminds me of that line, from that movie:

"What kind of music do play here?"

"We play both kinds.. Country AND western..."

Franz Liszt. Look him up.

One of the first pieces of classical music I heard was Listz' "Hungarian Rhapsody #2". In a slightly different form than you might imagine...

[video=youtube;qxjU8JJEuSM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxjU8JJEuSM[/video]

Iron Maiden.
Just saw them for the eighth time last night. I took my 11yo twin boys with me, for their first time, they loved it.
Blue Oyster Cult is a close second for me too.
I enjoy most music though, I've seen everything from string quartets and chamber music to some of the most brutal death metal and grindcore bands.:headbang:

Everybody has their own opinion about what the best band is/was. One of the best radio stations, was KZEW, The Zoo, out of Dallas. In the fall of '73, a bunch of long haired hippies took over the radio station. It grew to be one of the best rock and roll stations in the nation. Sadly, times change, and some dumbwit went and sold it off to some folks that changed it to Christian Easy Listening (or somesuch). That, too, died off. The call sign is now with a station in Wheatland, WY. Fear not my fellow ZooFreaks, you can still hear the music, along with some of the old DJs streaming on the internet at https://vokalnow.com/stations/the-zoo
The original Zoo - https://thezoofile.com/index.html
DMN article about new streaming service - https://www.dallasnews.com/opinion/...est-rock-station-returns-28-years-plug-pulled

I *know* some of you listened to it "back in the day".

beethtg.jpg

After him, The Beatles.

Since 1964, pretty much all English-language rock music is either an attempt to imitate the Beatles -- or AVOID imitating the Beatles.

One of my favorite bands Linkin Park just lost its frontman Chester Bennington to suicide.

The rest of my preferred bands are from the late 70's through the 90's.

One of my favorite bands Linkin Park just lost its frontman Chester Bennington to suicide.

The rest of my preferred bands are from the late 70's through the 90's.

This was just in the news by me Rich..
So sad man..
There is something about super talented people ..
Why is this so prevalent..
Either suicide or by accident / overdose..
The list is a mile long..

Such a shame..
My prayers for him and his family...

Teddy

I don't know if it's possible to objectively measure a band as the "best" since art is inherently subjective. There are some technically proficient musicians I hate (Megadeth, Metallica), and some technically proficient musicians I love (Dream Theater, Rush). Conversely there are some terrible musicians I hate (The Sex Pistols, The Ramones) and other terrible musicians I love (The Misfits, The Vandals).

All I can offer is the stuff I have loved to death at one point in my life. I would consider any of these as contenders for "best band" in spite of most of them never getting past "one hit wonder" status in the public eye (argumentum ad populum and all). As far as I'm concerned, for the amount of effort I put into acquiring and listening to albums and seeing them live these artists must have been on to something. In retrospect it's a pretty eclectic mix...in approximate reverse-chronological order...

Roger Clyne and the Peacemakers
Rise Against
In This Moment
Lacuna Coil
NOFX
Sentenced
In Flames
The Misfits
Type O Negative
The Refreshments
Better Than Ezra
Bad Religion
KMFDM
Nine Inch Nails
Alice in Chains
Pearl Jam

The standard choices among oldies and classic rock? The Beatles, Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, etc? Yeah they're great and I love listening to them from time to time. But for me hearing everything from Otis Redding to AC/DC for the billionth time can't hold a candle to continually experiencing new stuff. New alt rock from artists like The National, Arcade Fire, Lorde, Foster the People, etc. are currently keeping me intrigued. Give it ten years and some of them will be on this list.

Talking Heads were pretty good.

Let's throw some more favourites in. Hard to choose as they are liked for different reasons
Don McLean
Carole King
Electric Light Orchestra
Jennifer Warnes
Daryl Hall & John Oates
Many of the classical composers
Barney Bentall
Nicolette Larson
Alan Parsons
Steve Winwood
The Tragically Hip
Meatloaf
Rankin Family
Icehouse
and quite a few others that have already been mentioned.

This was just in the news by me Rich..
So sad man..
There is something about super talented people ..
Why is this so prevalent..
Either suicide or by accident / overdose..
The list is a mile long..

Such a shame..
My prayers for him and his family...

Teddy

I think the passions that drive people to create incredible works of art can also overwhelm them into depression. Just my :2:.

I think the passions that drive people to create incredible works of art can also overwhelm them into depression. Just my :2:.

I have always been blown away when this kind of thing happens...
But the last one,, Robin Williams,, I just couldn't believe..
How in the world is this possible ??
Such a shame,, how do you not see all you're giving up..
Maybe this is my perspective because I am so blessed..
I don't know,,
but through some bad stuff I still see there's more good stuff coming too..

I am truly the most fortunate person on the planet..
I so genuinely believe that...

Teddy

Guitar:
Rik Emmett
Steve Howe
Steve Morse
Jan Akkerman
Terry Kath

Keyboards:
Rick Wakeman
Keith Emerson
John Tout
Kerry Livgren

Bass:
Victor Wooten
Chris Squire
Greg Lake
John Entwistle
Jon Camp

Drums:
Bill Bruford
Andy McCulloch
Keith Moon
Neil Peart
Phil Ehart

Banjo:
Bela Fleck
Earl Scruggs
Steve Martin

Harmonica:
John Popper
Stevie Wonder
Roger Daltrey

Male singer:
Freddie Mercury
Doug Pinnick
Roger Daltrey
Peter Cetera
Brad Delp

Female singer:
Annie Haslam
Ann Wilson
Amanda Marshall
Pat Benatar

Just a few of my faves. There are many, many more.

Even Justin Bieber?

Imported from Canada, just like Nickelback! :D...:confused::mad::puke:

Rush- Canada's finest import since the 2008 Dodge Challenger. :p

Male singer:
Freddie Mercury
Brad Delp

Who could say they don't miss BOTH of these guys? No one. :sigh:

But DAMN Brad!!! Who else would lock themselves in their crapper and, light up not ONE but, TWO habachis!

NOW THAT'S a Rock n Roll suicide...Dang Dude! :surprised:

As far as talent goes... I would be remiss if I didn't drop in some of my other favorites:
Dr. Dre
Tupac
Eminem
Snoop Dogg
Ice Cube
Twista
Busta Rhymes

And there's a ton of people I agree with... Beatles, Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Queen, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd.
So many amazing musicians...
But, as dixontj knows...
Maynard James Keenan (T00L, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer) is the best.

Drummer:
Neil Peart
John Bonham
Keith Moon
Dave Grohl

Guitar:
Jimi Hendrix
David Gilmore
SRV
Eric Clapton
Carlos Santana
Joe Bonamassa
In time people will accept this, John Rezeznik (Goo Goo Dolls) If you ever try to play his songs you'd understand

Bass:
Les Claypool
John Entwistle
Geezer Butler
Jaco Pastorius

Keyboards:
Rick Wakeman
Keith Emerson
Elton John
Jon Lord

Banjo:
I have to copy Bat-Mites list on this one