Dirt cheap hemispherical chutes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wallace

Reaction score
Made mention of this in hpr and didn't seem to get much attention. ...Occurred to me it might be more at home in scratch built.

20170711_134826.jpg

Oops, forgot to rotate pic. I think you'll get the idea anyhow. $5 60" golf umbrella @ Home Depot. Strip the canopy, use as is, or....

20170714_062822.jpg

Forgot to add.....$4 @ Wal Mart. Strong stuff. 150 yards will make alotta chutes.

20170717_102220.jpg

Testing...

Attachments

• 2017-07-17 06.00.42.jpg
    2017-07-17 06.00.42.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 28
In action. Not bad for a little over 5 bucks....

Attachments

• 2017-07-17 05.48.00.jpg
    2017-07-17 05.48.00.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 29
Also forgot to mention....The CD has to be pretty damn good, that,s a 41 ounce rocket on a 27" chute w/3" spill hole. Took several landings of soft ground w/out damage.

This is as landed...

Attachments

• 2017-07-17 05.51.06.jpg
    2017-07-17 05.51.06.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 27
Why, in the second picture, did you take a pair of scissors and cut out the inner 30"?

You are serious? There is no mention of and a fair warning against scissor or anything but a hot knife. Secondly, I was cutting out a 30" chute since I have no need for a 60"er. Maybe read the text and spend less time with the pictograms?

Really clever idea to repurpose an umbrella! I've heard of using tablecloths but this is already in the right shape and with the perfect color pattern to boot.

sounds like this would be a great idea to start your own chute company,
or perhaps an umbrella corporation

:)

Been doing that for a while. One mod I made is to change the shape by adding darts [the sewing kind] or little triangles sewn above the shroud lines to change the shape if I thought the brolly chute [my name for them] was too flat.

Richard

You are serious? There is no mention of and a fair warning against scissor or anything but a hot knife. Secondly, I was cutting out a 30" chute since I have no need for a 60"er. Maybe read the text and spend less time with the pictograms?

These are pretty aggressive replies when there IS no text to reference...

Original intent was to keep it "Estes simple". Won't happen again.

Agreed; Hence the follow up concerning lack of said text.

Oh, you mean this?
"Although it is mostly.....Pics."

"Mostly" is a very generous description since there is LITERALLY no text. I like your ingenuity, and want to learn from you, so maybe you can revisit this obviously helpful post with some more documentation? I get that it's a weller soldering gun, used as a hot knife. Not unheard of, but which tip did you use (or how did you modify/create a tip)? What is that thread? How do we find similar? Any tips on attachment to make shroud lines? What have you learned from your discovery that you may do differently next time? Details like this are what make forums like this functional, and your idea is definitely worth documentation so it can live on!

Forgot to add.....$4 @ Wal Mart. Strong stuff. 150 yards will make alotta chutes.
Sewing section @ WalMart. Now am I correct at least in quoting MY previous text, or am I misquoting?Kind of thought the pics of the actual products/stores/labels and pricing might possibly be somewhat helpful. BTW, that is a Weller soldering gun with a flat blade tip being used as a hot knife, although any tip woud work just as well, I would suggest not using one you intend to solder with after since the melted nylon has a tendency to fowl said.

Been doing that for a while. One mod I made is to change the shape by adding darts [the sewing kind] or little triangles sewn above the shroud lines to change the shape if I thought the brolly chute [my name for them] was too flat.

Richard
Any pics of these "Darts"? Sounds intriguing.. Been trying to talk the GF into making a ringsail for me but that's not looking very promising. If my lack of sewing skills/patience ever improves I might just attempt it myself.

This particular chute survived a shred on an I205 @ what my Quantum claims to be 1068 fps. Open rocket is real close to sim. Chute itself appears unscathed. .

20170804_151952.jpg

Any pics of these "Darts"? Sounds intriguing.. Been trying to talk the GF into making a ringsail for me but that's not looking very promising. If my lack of sewing skills/patience ever improves I might just attempt it myself.

Here's a few from 2000 and a close up of what is done. The darts make the chute a lot rounder both over the canopy and around the rim. You need to adjust the geometry to suit the shape desired.

CIMG0097a.JPG

CIMG0098a.JPG

Richblk.jpg

RichTripleEjections.jpg

rick1.jpg

Here's a few from 2000 and a close up of what is done. The darts make the chute a lot rounder both over the canopy and around the rim. You need to adjust the geometry to suit the shape desired.

i like the shape of the open canopy. You are not adding any material, just sewing together these darts at the shroud attachment points?

Back