War for the Planet of the Apes

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColumbiaNX01

Red blooded white American male
Reaction score
Saw the movie and it was incredible. End of the trilogy. But I think they will be making a 4th one. This story line from Rise to Dawn, and now War is 100% believable. Thats what is so great about this series it could actually happen.

For those who know the story. It all started when Man did testing on Apes to find a cure for Alzheimer's. As a result it made Apes smarter and caused a virus that killed off most humans. In real life man does experiments on animals like apes. If we as humans are not careful we could be replaced. That is why the concept of this series hits home for humanity.

The special effects are excellent. I think Andy Serkis performance is Oscar worthy.

"Apes together Strong"

I don't think we need to worry about apes. What we need to worry about are viruses and other pandemic causing stuff. Even in the first world we are seeing cracks in the immunization shield because of misplaced hysteria over immunizations. As far as I am concerned, everyone who does not have a medical issue should be immunized.

I haven't seen any of these new Ape movies, I grew up with Charlton Heston, Roddy McDowall and the rubber mask versions. Some of those were good and others were, well, not so good. And I prefer to remember good old Charlie pounding sand (literally) as he yells, "MANIAC! YOU BLEW IT UP! AH, DAMN YOU! GOD DAMN YOU ALL TO HELL!!"

I saw the trilogy in the theaters with my son. They had a deal where we saw all 3 in a row for $20 last Wednesday. That was fun.

I saw and liked the movies so far. Looking forward to "war."

One question though. I never understood how so many apes became smart so quickly. Sure, one gets the miracle drug, maybe a few others... But even assuming it causes changes that breed true, it would take many generations to get to the point shown ... Much more time than seems to have passed. Was there an explanation that I have missed?

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

EDIT - post contains SPOILERS - read at your own peril!

I've got all of them (save for the new one) on video at home. I did see War on Saturday and also thought it was excellent. It was an interesting character study to see Caesar essentially go "off the reservation". I'll be curious as to where this series will go next - I doubt that this is the end. The original series started in the far future, looped back to present day, and ended in the near future. The modern series started present day, and has gone into the near future. They have set up a reason for humans to go mute, and placed the easter egg of the Icarus launch in the first one, so it seems reasonable that it be setting up for a far-future time jump.

The new movies have been fairly analogs of the original, though I think where "Rise of the Planet of the Apes" stands in for "Conquest", "Dawn" & "War" collectively fill the role of "Battle for the Planet of the Apes". What will be interesting is how they'd handle a future story. Originally, man being superseded by apes took place regardless, but Cornelius & Zira's jump back in time (and birth of Caesar) effectively created a new alternate timeline. By starting in the middle, this new series doesn't really allow for that aspect. But it'll be interesting either way. I'd read that this one was Andy Serkis' last in the series, but since (spoiler alert) Caesar dies at the end, that doesn't mean that its the last movie in the series. In fact, I'd heard that development of a 4th started last year. I suppose Serkis could play another lead chimp (much like Roddy McDowell played several characters), but if not, I'd have to believe he'd still be drafted as a technical advisor.

Anyway, it's all good. If you haven't seen the first two, you can buy them on DVD cheap at Walmart, as a set, I think. They're worth watching, even (especially?) if you were fans of the originals.

I saw and liked the movies so far. Looking forward to "war."

One question though. I never understood how so many apes became smart so quickly. Sure, one gets the miracle drug, maybe a few others... But even assuming it causes changes that breed true, it would take many generations to get to the point shown ... Much more time than seems to have passed. Was there an explanation that I have missed?

That never made a lot of sense in the original movies, but in the new ones its simple - the virus that wiped out humans was also what made the apes smart. Since it was pandemic, it spread to all the apes too (or at least all in contact with humans). Also, Caesar essentially "bug bombed" a sizable population of captive apes with the drug to aid his revolt. The impact of the drug (or assumedly, the virus) altered the DNA, so its effects were passed down. So, the whole population of apes in North America got smart in a hurry and stayed that way. With that said, it certainly seems to have impacted different apes differently, based along lines of their comparative intelligence. I think Caesar was essentially ahead of the curve because he was already 2nd generation intelligent, and he was raised by a human that taught him a lot. He develops the ability to speak fluently, whereas most apes default to sign language and only speak in choppy fragments. Eventually, though, the entire population would learn and improve.

Thanks. I should probably rewatch to come up to speed.

Still, I don't think there are as many apes in North America as the movie would suggest. But that's just a quibble. Looking forward to the movie.

Ultimately it's my fault for even reading this thread before seeing the movie, so I'm not blaming anyone for the spoiler. I take responsibility for risking it.

But... EXPjawa, simply typing (spoiler alert) immediately before the spoiler didn't keep me from reading the spoiler in time. If it had been at the beginning of the post that would have let me skip it completely. Perhaps edit your post to post the alert at the beginning?

Again, not your fault, not blaming you, usually I avoid all threads about movies I want to see for this reason. Today I clicked and regret it. Lesson learned.

End of last year they announced a 4th film. The 3rd film is the end of Andy Serkis as ceaser. But wonder if andy will come back and play his son Cornelius. Just like Roddy McDowell played Cornelius in the original 3 then played his son ceaser in the next 2. I loved it. Who knows.

I bet the next movie revolves around Ceasers son Cornelius. That's why it was important Cornelius did not get shot and killed in war.

Perhaps edit your post to post the alert at the beginning? .

My apologies. I shouldn't assume that everyone got out to see the film on opening weekend, especially since I usually don't. Fixed.

End of last year they announced a 4th film. The 3rd film is the end of Andy Serkis as ceaser. But wonder if andy will come back and play his son Cornelius. Just like Roddy McDowell played Cornelius in the original 3 then played his son ceaser in the next 2. I loved it. Who knows.

I bet the next movie revolves around Ceasers son Cornelius. That's why it was important Cornelius did not get shot and killed in war.

Kind of what I was thinking. But at this point, they could also time-jump way forward. Or they could break off into a direction that the original series didn't go.

As a side note about Serkis - he was on Colbert last week, and they showed a real neat clip that started off with Serkis in the motion-capture suit, giving a speech (as Caesar), and it gradually transitioned into the character by layering the CGI onto the video. It was subtle enough that I didn't realize what was happening at first. I'm sure its on youtube somewhere, its worth watching. The speech itself was not a scene from the final movie, so no spoiler alerts needed!

I loved it. Thought it was the best of the three. It made me laugh, it made me cry. It made me love, it made me hate. It had action, it had moral dilemmas. It had a great score by Michael Giacchino. I love the original movies, and I think these are better (except for the first one -- it is an all time classic never to be topped).

Bad Ape! He made the show, for me! Too freaking funny. "Oh, noooooooo!"

I have to disagree, though, about it being something that could really happen. Apes simply don't have the vocal cord structure for speech. No matter how smart they are, they wouldn't be able to talk.

My guess is that Andy Serkis will be back in a different role. He is too adept at motion capture for them to let him get away. Like Roddy McDowell, he will play his own descendants. My guess is that the next film will jump forward in time, either to Caesar's son Cornelius, or farther along the timeline.

Question for debate: in the first film, on the TV in the background in one scene, the newscasters mentioned the successful lift-off of the first manned mission to Mars, which no doubt was Taylor's ship (or whatever they choose to call him). Was that an Easter egg, or will they ever do the landing story 2000 years in the future?

Question for debate: in the first film, on the TV in the background in one scene, the newscasters mentioned the successful lift-off of the first manned mission to Mars, which no doubt was Taylor's ship (or whatever they choose to call him). Was that an Easter egg, or will they ever do the landing story 2000 years in the future?
I think that it was put there on purpose for that reason. Whether they capitalize on it is another matter; when the first (new) movie was made, they probably didn't know if it do well or be a repeat of Tim Burton's episode.

The bigger debate question to me is: how close to the original basic plot do they want to stick? As I see it, the ape domination over humans took place as a result of man's actions regardless. This is, of course, what Taylor found when he arrived in the future. But the course of that future was altered when Cornelius and Zira went back in time to present day and had Caesar. Caesar essentially took over the ape movement, and changed the relationship of apes and humans going forward. So, we don't know if the future that Taylor found still existed.

In the new movies sequence, Caesar was born of a lab chimp, not a future time traveler. So, what impact does that change have on the timeline? If there is a future time jump and a Colonel Taylor on that Mars ship, will he find conditions that are similar to what the original found in the future, or will he find a future influenced by Caesar? This last movie did set up a reason for humans to go mute, like in the original first movie, something that seemed unavoidable by the surviving population as a whole. So, who knows?

Agreed. I think they should go in a new direction, while still paying homage to the 1968 film. Pretty much what they are already doing.

Back