pseudo-scale? concept scale?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LW Bercini

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I'm not sure how to label these things: designs that mimic a scale look, but do not represent actual missiles like one may see in the real world

I'm not talking about Sport Scale (the NAR event) because those are intended to represent actual rockets.

Some examples are North Coast Rocketry's Bounty Hunter and Lance Delta, Estes's SLV, or Quest's Minotaur.

Do any of you ever scratch build your own scale-like designs?

If so, would you share a pic or two?

Last edited:
The rocket is a sports scale somewhere in the area of 1/32 scale X-15. (x-15-1)
As you can see it's a rough prototype built to get the proportions some what right (or I think) X-15 look. Now the really good thing about it is it flies like a dream. From the first flight till today's flight #10 it has performed straight and stable from day one. I have never had a scratch built rocket fly so good. I have used only a D12-5 in it. It weighs in at 7.2oz flight ready. Low to no wind 5 to 10 MPH. It has a nice slow but straight lift off and it picks up speed but not so fast that you have a hard time following it. Just guessing I would say it reaches somewhere between 200 to over 225 feet and beyond.
So far the 5-second delay allows the rocket to cost and release the 18'' parachute at the peak of its flight. After today's flight, the shock cord is starting to show burn wear and I know soon it will go. The second prototype I'm building (X-15-2) I'm installing a baffle in it to cut down on the hot gasses. It well gets a black paint job and some markings. I hope this one flies as good as the first portype does. Of course, I'm thinking of doing a Delta wing version after this one.
X-15 1a.jpgX-15 2a.jpgX-15 3a.jpgX-15 4a.jpgX-15 5a.jpgX-15 6a.jpg

20160716_122304.jpg

Here's my very rough cut at the Caspian Sea Monster ekranoplan, the Chesapeake Sea Monster.

As you can see it's a rough prototype built to get the proportions some what right (or I think) X-15 look. Now the really good thing about it is it flies like a dream. From the first flight till today's flight #10 it has performed straight and stable from day one. I have never had a scratch built rocket fly so good. I have used only a D12-5 in it. It weighs in at 7.2oz flight ready. Low to no wind 5 to 10 MPH. It has a nice slow but straight lift off and it picks up speed but not so fast that you have a hard time following it. Just guessing I would say it reaches somewhere between 200 to over 225 feet and beyond.
So far the 5-second delay allows the rocket to cost and release the 18'' parachute at the peak of its flight. After today's flight, the shock cord is starting to show burn wear and I know soon it will go. The second prototype I'm building (X-15-2) I'm installing a baffle in it to cut down on the hot gasses. It well gets a black paint job and some markings. I hope this one flies as good as the first portype does. Of course, I'm thinking of doing a Delta wing version after this one.
View attachment 323943View attachment 323944View attachment 323945View attachment 323946View attachment 323948View attachment 323947

Nice work, I like X-15's. What are the strake coverings paper posteboard balsa?

Nice work, I like X-15's. What are the strake coverings paper posteboard balsa?

Rich, I use a Matte Photo Paper produced by Canon. It's a photo paper made for arts and crafts. A lot of paper modeler use it for building paper models.
The paper weight is 45lb. So far I really like working with it. I get it at Staples or you can get it on the net. It's in a red box.

Rich, I use a Matte Photo Paper produced by Canon. It's a photo paper made for arts and crafts. A lot of paper modeler use it for building paper models.
The paper weight is 45lb. So far I really like working with it. I get it at Staples or you can get it on the net. It's in a red box.

Thank you.

View attachment 323943View attachment 323944View attachment 323945View attachment 323946View attachment 323948View attachment 323947

It's a beaut! Even better, it's apparently very stable even with all that fin & strake area.

It's a beaut! Even better, it's apparently very stable even with all that fin & strake area.

Thanks, Rtkman, Yes, it has performed great. I hope my second one is as good. The second one is taking more time to build because I'm adding some improvements to it. If it flys as good I might do a build thread.
Like I said if the second one fly's good I will move on to trying to build a Delta wing version.

Pseudo scale are some of my favorite models to build because I get to do all of the fiddly little detail stuff but don't have to worry about being particularly accurate! Most of mine are actually pseudo-scale, meaning that they are not models that represent anything real, but look like they could be.

Here are a few pics:

This one started as an Estes Majestic and was modded to look like a Nike based sounding rocket of some kind.
IMG_20161008_112200.jpgIMG_20161008_111743.jpgIMG_20161008_112031.jpgIMG_20161008_111954.jpg

This one is a mid-power designed to look like a Scout-type launch vehicle.
IMG_20160925_134426[1].jpgIMG_20160925_134500[1].jpgIMG_20160925_134625[1].jpgIMG_20160925_134632[1].jpg

Another imaginary sounding rocket. It started out as an Estes booster-55!
IMG_20170225_083841.jpgIMG_20170225_084231.jpg

There are a couple more I'll put in another post....

A couple more:

Imagine a secret Air Force sub-orbital, hypersonic recon ship. It would be launched on a central liquid booster with two solid boosters and recovered at any one of several bases around the world. This version flies on a central 18mm and two 13mm boosters and generally recovers at the same field it was launched from.:p It was built over 15 years ago and is still flying. The lifting body glider flies really well but is tricky to trim.
IMG_20170405_085601.jpgIMG_20170405_085614.jpgIMG_20170405_085536.jpgIMG_20170405_085647.jpgIMG_20170405_085707.jpgIMG_20170405_085815.jpgIMG_20170405_085850.jpg

Another one based on a booster-55. This one is another imaginary launch vehicle. Kinda looks like the X-17...
IMG_20170529_084405.jpgIMG_20170529_084337.jpgIMG_20170529_084548.jpg

I like building true scale models too, but I think the fakes are my favorites!

Mike

Pseudo scale are some of my favorite models to build because I get to do all of the fiddly little detail stuff but don't have to worry about being particularly accurate! Most of mine are actually pseudo-scale, meaning that they are not models that represent anything real, but look like they could be.

Here are a few pics:

This one started as an Estes Majestic and was modded to look like a Nike based sounding rocket of some kind.
View attachment 324078View attachment 324079View attachment 324080View attachment 324081

This one is a mid-power designed to look like a Scout-type launch vehicle.
View attachment 324082View attachment 324083View attachment 324084View attachment 324085

Another imaginary sounding rocket. It started out as an Estes booster-55!
View attachment 324086View attachment 324087

There are a couple more I'll put in another post....

Super impressive! I especially like those "rivets" and "id and instructional text" on the lower body.

A couple more:

Imagine a secret Air Force sub-orbital, hypersonic recon ship. It would be launched on a central liquid booster with two solid boosters and recovered at any one of several bases around the world. This version flies on a central 18mm and two 13mm boosters and generally recovers at the same field it was launched from.:p It was built over 15 years ago and is still flying. The lifting body glider flies really well but is tricky to trim.
View attachment 324088View attachment 324089View attachment 324090View attachment 324091View attachment 324092View attachment 324093View attachment 324094

Another one based on a booster-55. This one is another imaginary launch vehicle. Kinda looks like the X-17...
View attachment 324095View attachment 324096View attachment 324097

I like building true scale models too, but I think the fakes are my favorites!

Mike

Superb! That lifting body design is incredibly realistic, and the best part is that it's also a successfully functional glider.

YESYES!

Thank you Mike, that's precisely the kind of examples I was looking for.

Fake Scale could be a great HPR sport event at NARAM or NSL, for scale looking rockets that wouldn't be in concept scale or sport scale. The only rules: 1) looks scale but isn't. 2) Uses an M motor or less. 3) Most awesome wins.

I seem to remember that Estes used to call those Fantasy Scale in the catalog.

kj

I thought Fantasy Scale was more about scale or semi-scale models of fictitious subjects, like a Colonial Viper? I though this thread is more about bashing sorta scale versions of real rockets?

I though this thread is more about bashing sorta scale versions of real rockets?
No, LW specifically said scale looking models that don't represent a real rocket.

You may be correct about the meaning of "fantasy scale" though; I'm not really sure.

Estes calls the Nike-X "scale-like", although that model is clearly inspired by the Nike Zeus if I remember correctly. The Shrockets Sea Sting is a perfect example of what LW was talking about, although Apogee doesn't use any particular term for it.

No, LW specifically said scale looking models that don't represent a real rocket.

You may be correct about the meaning of "fantasy scale" though; I'm not really sure.

Estes calls the Nike-X "scale-like", although that model is clearly inspired by the Nike Zeus if I remember correctly. The Shrockets Sea Sting is a perfect example of what LW was talking about, although Apogee doesn't use any particular term for it.

I think I am right about half of the jibberish I spout.

Fake Scale could be a great HPR sport event at NARAM or NSL, for scale looking rockets that wouldn't be in concept scale or sport scale. The only rules: 1) looks scale but isn't. 2) Uses an M motor or less. 3) Most awesome wins.

NUNISHER Scale !

Kenny

Thanks Daddy. Some inspiring examples.

I am really curious about that last entry. What is going on in the tail section? I can't see enough detail to figure it out.

That was my attempt at what I called Gas Dynamic Stabilization. What ever the name read up about it here on the forum, the guys will perfect it soon enough. No more fins! Little or no nose weight! No launch rods, scale Minuteman Missiles flying straight up every time!

Does this count?
IMG_4849.jpg
Nothing to look at, really. But once it blows up, who cares.:wink:

Here's a couple more:
0317012156a.jpgIMG_20131208_202635520.jpg

Last edited:

Thanks Daddy. Some inspiring examples.

I am really curious about that last entry. What is going on in the tail section? I can't see enough detail to figure it out.

Hey Daddy is that Gas Dynamic Stabilized rocket also a mulit-stager? Even a successfully working single stager is pretty impressive!).

Back