level 1 attempt. Could use a little help w/sims

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's good to hear, Steve. Though I assume your RSO, like your bartender, always has the right to say 'no', whether it's 'legal' or not.

That's good to hear, Steve. Though I assume your RSO, like your bartender, always has the right to say 'no', whether it's 'legal' or not.

That's correct. Not only do RSOs have the authority, but they have an obligation to say "no" if they feel something is unsafe.
Sometimes RSOs will say no because they're unsure of how something might be interpreted. We (TRA BoD) did the review at the request of Kurt Savegnago, (ksaves on TRF), in order to help remove that uncertainty. It appears in the latest Tripoli Report.

The NFPA based requirement to be able to arm and disarm electronics at the pad only applies to charges and motor ignition in my opinion. Also, although this doesn't answer the question locally, Tripoli has no rules prohibiting the wifi type switches. The BoD discussed them at the public meeting at LDRS this year and commented that they should be allowed, particularly because they have safeguards built in to prevent inadvertent closure of the outputs.

Steve Shannon

Ok, my take on that statement is: Tripoli DOES allow them WITHOUT an external switch, NAR is UNDECIDED and locally it MAY be allowed. Is this correct?
s

if the op's intent is to get a waiver so they can fly before the next launch...then I think that they are out of luck. according to the info on the NAR page, 'Applications must be filed not later than 45 days prior to the date of proposed operations.' 60 days prior is listed as a better minimum, tis my understanding that waivers are granted to individuals not groups, persons holding the active waiver need to be present at the launch. with that said, there is nothing to prevent a person from filing for a waiver for a particular site(aside from the paperwork).
Rex

Ok, my take on that statement is: Tripoli DOES allow them WITHOUT an external switch, NAR is UNDECIDED and locally it MAY be allowed. Is this correct?
s

I can't speak for NAR or WOOSH in particular, but if I was RSO at the launch (which I do do at times), I would allow it, as to me it's not really any different than a chute release being turned on before it goes to the RSO table.

The key here is mitigating risk, and I can't see much risk a hot wire cable cutter (or similar device) would be to anyone if it "goes off" before going on the pad.

I think we moved ahead a bit to talking about using a Quantum for dual deploy or airstart, using the wifi to arm. Does the Quantum need to be electrically off at the RSO, turned on at the pad?
(post #89-90

Cris would say no - the double isolation is sufficient and the remote arming is safer. It looks like TRA concurs. We don't know about NAR, and in real life, it's always up to your RSO.

We don't know about NAR, and in real life, it's always up to your RSO.

In this case, I'd consider it allowable, as the isolation done by eggtimer is sufficient for me to know it's safe. I suppose there are arguments against this (bad wiring, incorrect assembly, etc), but I'm not going to break out my multimeter at a launch and inspect everyone's electronics.

Yes, but you also wade into snapping turtle infested swamps.

At least with the Quantum , the RSO could ask you to refresh the status page on the phone and see that that much was working and check the battery voltage.

Yes, but you also wade into snapping turtle infested swamps.

At least with the Quantum , the RSO could ask you to refresh the status page on the phone and see that that much was working and check the battery voltage.

My thoughts exactly. That at least gives you something. Other than busting out the multimeter you're essentially taking everyone's word for it, assuming buzzers can fail.

s

I think so. I don't know that undecided is the right word for NAR. I used to be the NAR Section Advisor and locally at least I would not have required switches on any electronics that don't ignite charges or motors. There's simply no rule that says all electronics need switches, just the ones that can result in lighting a charge or motor.

Back