level 1 attempt. Could use a little help w/sims

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some day I'm sure I will. Just working with what I have/can make or can afford at this point. It might be awhile, but I'm sure I'll get there.

Another idea would be to make an adapter to fly with smaller diameter motors (if sim's show it'll fly safely on them). You might be able to "fly the field" and still cert on the same flight. Then when you get to a place that is big enough you can really Let'r Rip with a maximum possible motor (and you won't have the cert issue to contend with).

Managed to "find" time to do some testing yesterday. Everything was a resounding success with one exception. I'll post a few pics for posterity. ..

2017-07-17 06.00.42.jpg

Pretty cool top veiw of one of several chutes I made up. Threw it off the roof attached to a brass hammer that just happened to weigh the same as my Scion. Proof of concept type testing, plus a neat pic to boot.

Estes G80 @ Bong. Winds were out of the northeast, probably 10 to 15 mph.

2017-07-17 05.46.08.jpg

After much discussion and several educated guesses on rail angle...

2017-07-17 05.48.00.jpg

The only failure out of 7 total flights. ...That's a 6" piece of bt-55 taped to the shock cord of my Star Orbiter. It contains an Eggtimer Quark and a 1s lipo. Put it up on an F26, super flight, absolutely beautiful. Quark beeped out 1684' which I did not believe. Then I realized I had it taped up a bit too well. No vent. Anyhow, decided to launch it one last time on a bp F15. Nice fast, loud, high boost, nice recovery. ....sans tube containing said Qurk. Didn't even bother looking for it, needle in a haystack scenario. It's out there somewhere northeast of the parking lot. Lemme know if you find it, I'm curious as to how high it actually went. Lesson learned, was going to go back to the truck and grab some electrical tape but got lazy and just used the Frog tape that was in my box

2017-07-17 06.29.06.jpg

OverTheTop; That was just testing day. Everything to do with my Scion was untested/unknown so I had to see how it would fly/recover. Apparently my time with the build, design and sims was well spent, I couldn't have wished for better results. Only thing that bothered me was Amazon screwed my order, was supposed to have an 808 camera but alas, won't be here 'till tomorrow:(. From the limited resolution cell phone videos I captured it doesn't appear to have roll issues, the keychain cam would have verified that. L1 attempt won't be until the weekend of the 28th. Don't know if I'll have time and or motor money to get back out and fly again before I try for cert. Wish me luck...

Forgot to add, I didn't get any altimeter readings from the Quantum in my Scion. I cooked the battery the other day and couldn't find anything locally that would fit in that small of a bay.

I have terrible luck with Lipos. I have discovered that letting them hang in a tree overnight is a sure-fired way of killing at least 1 cell.

I didn't know that the launch area could be used outside club launch days.

It's my understanding that it's free to use at any time, provided you notify the people at the entrance beforehand (in case there are special events going on that day). The caveat being that there's no waiver, so you can't bring out that 3xM cluster rocket that you've been dying to fly.

It's my understanding that it's free to use at any time, provided you notify the people at the entrance beforehand (in case there are special events going on that day). The caveat being that there's no waiver, so you can't bring out that 3xM cluster rocket that you've been dying to fly.

Well, frack. I wanted to practice a bit.

I suppose there wouldn't be any/many witnesses while I work on my whiskey/nitrous motor, though.

As far as I know you are allowed to launch at will as long as the park is open. Don't know about waivers but I don't currently fly very high anyhow. The one park requirement is that you either have at least 5 gallons of water or "rent" their fire extinguisher (leave a deposit). It's pretty squishy out there right now, doubt you could start a fire if you tried.

Just realized I failed to post a pic of my modular sled/av bay. Works anywhere you can fit a bt-55. Plug in the battery, slide into tube, install cap and fly.

20170717_113324.jpg

provided that no other groups have reserved the rocketry area, you can fly there. if however you wish to fly class 2 rockets you'll have bring your own waiver(in addition to park requirements).
Rex

provided that no other groups have reserved the rocketry area, you can fly there. if however you wish to fly class 2 rockets you'll have bring your own waiver(in addition to park requirements).
Rex
Rex: At what point is a waiver required? Is it altitude based or are there weight and power factors?

Rex: At what point is a waiver required? Is it altitude based or are there weight and power factors?
FAR101: Unmodified commercial motors, <=1500g total weight, <=4oz propellant, <=160Ns total installed impulse, <=G80. Couldn't tell you about the altitude.

class 1 rockets pretty much the sky is the limit(launch weight 1500g or lower AND less than 125g of propellant).
Class 2 rockets,the FAA seems to be most happy with 9000AGL, site restrictions M impulse and lower (I think), it takes a fair bit of land when you get into the higher impulse levels. High power rocket motors average thrust greater than 80Ns and or total impulse greater than 160Ns or a sparkie motor. basically w/o waiver see the class one rocket info and leave the vmax/skidmarks motors at home.
Rex

How would an individual go about getting said waiver? Is it valid for a certain period of time? Has anyone done this or is it muddled with government bureaucracy red tape to the point of "don't waste your time, just wait for club launches"?

At club launches, Pusher Tim is usually there to enable your growing addiction to burnt propellant fumes.

People here on TRF have mentioned having their own waivers, but I haven't seen a 'build thread' on the subject.

How would an individual go about getting said waiver? Is it valid for a certain period of time? Has anyone done this or is it muddled with government bureaucracy red tape to the point of "don't waste your time, just wait for club launches"?

Getting a "waiver" is a pretty straightforward process. You download and fill out form 1177-2:
https://www.faa.gov/forms/index.cfm/go/document.information/documentID/186161

There's an example on the NAR website, but I haven't looked at it for awhile. It may be outdated. The FAA has been great to work with. I've done these for our club since 2002. The process has gotten a little more complicated but out waiver is for up to 52,000 feet MSL.

Here's the NAR page. I just glanced it over but it does look like it's current.
https://www.nar.org/high-power-rock...a-launch-authorization/filing-for-faa-waiver/

This is where joining a local club is nice. I get waivers for a year at a time.

Steve Shannon

Wallace, I was just looking back over this thread and noticed an unanswered question - power switch on a non-black powder charged altimeter.

As far as I know, neither WOOSH nor TWA require a switch on a non-booming altimeter. I've taken a run-chirping Quark to the RSO, and told them it was a hot-wire cutter without seeming to upset anyone.

The local ruling on wifi armed Quantums would be good to know. I'm working toward a midpower two stage that will eventually use that.

The NFPA based requirement to be able to arm and disarm electronics at the pad only applies to charges and motor ignition in my opinion. Also, although this doesn't answer the question locally, Tripoli has no rules prohibiting the wifi type switches. The BoD discussed them at the public meeting at LDRS this year and commented that they should be allowed, particularly because they have safeguards built in to prevent inadvertent closure of the outputs.

Steve Shannon

Back