What are the limits of the Estes Command Control launch controller?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddymooose

Hoopy Frood
Reaction score
I just got back into rocketry after 20+ years and recently dug out my old Estes Command Control launch controller. After putting in two fresh 7.2V NiCD battery packs I launched several F15 rockets and a couple of 3x D12 cluster rockets.

So now I'm wondering what the motor limit is for this launcher? Does it only work with Estes igniters? What's the biggest thing I can get going with a 14.4V rapid-discharge NiCD launcher?

I've launched nearly every AT 29/40-120 with 4x AAs, so I'd imagine this unit would be fine up to the safety distance table lead length limit.

If you swap from NiCad to LiPos, it'll work for anything. (You may want to open it up and verify that the controller is heavy duty enough to handle the higher current) I've not had an starter that wouldn't go on a 7v LiPo. I've got some M impulse starters and they go right off with one. If so inclined, you could also use this to actuate a relay and a remote high power box.

Point 4 from Estes said the following
4: Never apply more than 18 volts DC to the Command Control. The electronics will fail above 18 volts. Never apply household 110 volt AC current to the controller as this will destroy it as well as create the risk of serious personal injury.

Makes sense, because to 7.2volt battery packs would put you around 15 volts.

Here's a copy of an email I sent to Estes a few days ago. Haven't received a response yet; I figure maybe they're swamped after their big Black Friday sale. Anyway...I thought maybe someone here could offer some help. Often times, the charger itself will have a small polarity diagram showing which is which, but in this case...my Radio Shack charger has a Tamiya connector that will connect to the battery packs, but I want to replace that connector with the 5mm barrel plug in order to charge the batteries without removing them. No such diagram appears on the back of the Estes controller where the charging jacks are located, and my experience over the years has been that the center pin in a 5mm jack can be EITHER positive or negative....it just depends on how either the charger plug or charging jack was wired. Thanks!

Hello-
I own an Estes Pro Series Command Control Launch Controller (#2234). It has performed well over the years and the only thing I never liked was having to remove the 7.2 volt battery packs from the unit to charge them. I was recently re-reading the instruction sheets that came with the controller and I now see that there are two 5mm barrel plug jacks on the back of the unit that are labelled "BAT 1 CHARGE" and "BAT 2 CHARGE". The instructions say that the end user can make his/her own charging cable to connect the proper charger to the controller to allow charging of the batteries without removing them from the controller. I'd like to do this, but I just need to know one thing. In reference to the two jacks on the back of the unit that I mentioned above, is the pin in the middle of each jack the positive (+) or negative (-) in the charging circuit? Thank you in advance for your help!

Here's a copy of an email I sent to Estes a few days ago. Haven't received a response yet; I figure maybe they're swamped after their big Black Friday sale. Anyway...I thought maybe someone here could offer some help. Often times, the charger itself will have a small polarity diagram showing which is which, but in this case...my Radio Shack charger has a Tamiya connector that will connect to the battery packs, but I want to replace that connector with the 5mm barrel plug in order to charge the batteries without removing them. No such diagram appears on the back of the Estes controller where the charging jacks are located, and my experience over the years has been that the center pin in a 5mm jack can be EITHER positive or negative....it just depends on how either the charger plug or charging jack was wired. Thanks!

Hello-
I own an Estes Pro Series Command Control Launch Controller (#2234). It has performed well over the years and the only thing I never liked was having to remove the 7.2 volt battery packs from the unit to charge them. I was recently re-reading the instruction sheets that came with the controller and I now see that there are two 5mm barrel plug jacks on the back of the unit that are labelled "BAT 1 CHARGE" and "BAT 2 CHARGE". The instructions say that the end user can make his/her own charging cable to connect the proper charger to the controller to allow charging of the batteries without removing them from the controller. I'd like to do this, but I just need to know one thing. In reference to the two jacks on the back of the unit that I mentioned above, is the pin in the middle of each jack the positive (+) or negative (-) in the charging circuit? Thank you in advance for your help!
Measure the voltage in those holes with a meter. If voltage is + then the red lead from meter is in the positive one, if - then the red one is in the negative one. If you don't have a meter, go to harbor freight and get one for $3 -$5 Simple troubleshooting...

The Command Control is my primary Launch Controller.

I have two 7.2v 2.2ah 30-30c Lipos, though I’ve done up to 29mm SU with just the one. In winter (put the battery in my parka when it wasn’t being used).

I’ve always liked the audible tones and two buttons. Makes me feel like I’m really in control - haha. It’s also a noticeable difference in weight with lipos.

The only thing I would recommend if you go that route is a low voltage alarm. And a quality lipo charger that’s safe.

Thank you very much beeblebrox! I'm pretty good when it comes to figuring this kind of stuff out, but it never occurred to me to do what you suggested. I followed your directions and yep...the center pin is the positive. I'm just going to replace the Tamiya connector on my charger with a 5mm plug now...and I just needed to be sure how to wire that plug. Thanks again! I've been here less than 24 hours and already I'm liking this forum group.

Back