Just emerged from a 23-year dark age...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muddymooose

Hoopy Frood
Reaction score
Back when I was 13-17 years old (1990-1994) I built and flew about a dozen LPR Estes rockets. My favorite was the 1284 Space Shuttle kit because of the glider component. The last rocket I built was a 2065 Maxi-Force. I was attracted by the relatively powerful cluster of 3 D12-7 motors, but this kit also came with a booklet on how to obtain FAA permission to fly it. Because of that hurdle (and my newfound appreciation for the opposite sex) I never got around to flying it. Cue the dark age.

A couple of years ago I got back into Lego (after a similar dark age), and a few weeks ago I finished their 21309 Saturn V Rocket set. That seemed to be the catalyst that made me start thinking about rocketry again.

One of my first sources for rocketry information was this forum. I've spent a couple of weeks reading it in earnest, catching up on the sport and learning the newest technology, standards, and rules. I was really pleased to learn the FAA regulations have since been liberalized.

Last week I dug out my old Maxi-Force and Command Control launch controller. I no longer had a launch pad but I build custom machines for a living, so I welded an all-steel one together. I bought a couple of new 7.2V battery packs, some D12-7 motors, igniters, and wadding, and put that thing into the sky. The launch and recovery were textbook and left me thirsting for more.

I went over to Hobby Lobby and got the biggest rocket they had, an Estes Ascender, as well as a pair of F15-6 motors. I didn't use the 40% off coupon, but I did pick up some cool ancient Sumerian artifacts for cheap. This was my biggest launch yet and I was excited. After correcting for the wind the rocket ended up landing 100 yards up-range (in part due to tangled shroud lines), so I backed off on my wind correction. The second launch brought the rocket right back to me and made me giggle like a schoolgirl.

Then I went back to Hobby Lobby to score more looted Iraqi treasures as well as a booster for the Ascender and F15-0 and F15-8 motors. I had never launched a multi-stage before, but again this went off without a hitch. The ante was quickly upped again.

Now I'm waiting to receive a Jolly Logic AltimeterThree, Aerotech F20-7W motors for the Ascender, and a Public Missiles Ariel because I know this is all leading toward HPR certification. I also ordered 1010 rail and rail buttons and redrew plans for a better launch pad in anticipation of going bigger.

My biggest hurdle at the moment seems to be finding a local source for G motors for the Ariel. The HAZMAT fee for online orders seems ridiculous.

I joined the NAR and I'm looking at local clubs, planning to attend some launches and apply for L1. Although I've been out of the scene for 23 years, over the last two weeks I've come rushing back in. It's really cool to get back into something after a long hiatus, after I've developed experience and manufacturing skills that now suddenly have a renewed and interesting application. I haven't been this excited about anything in years.

Anyway I'm glad to have found this forum because it has been an invaluable resource. Thank you and hello!

G motors for Ariel: look at Loki 38/120 or AT 29/40-120, especially if you got the Kwik Switch.

~10 no-Hazmat loads available that way. You'll still need to fly it at a waivered launch, unless you can cut the weight down by about 4oz

I personally wouldn't want to fly 51oz on a single midpower motor. Maybe twins that get by just under 4oz of propellant?

Welcome back to the hobby! I see that you live about 30 minutes from me. I've been to several JMRC launches now, all at MIS so far. I know they have two other fields they fly from now and then. They usually have two vendors there, one a CTI/Loki dealer and the other is an AT dealer. If you're looking for motors, I imagine they'll have what suites you for the foreseeable future. Plenty of G's to choose from. Hope to meet you at a launch soon!

If you are ever in Dayton, OH on a Tuesday you can stop by eRockets for the Wright Stuff Rocketeers meeting (6 to 8:30). We haven't missed a Tuesday yet in 3 years. We launch low and mid power rockets a few miles away from the shop and we launch the big stuff near Cedarville once the farmers harvest the crops (October or November until April). The club president is an Aerotech dealer and eRockets has more rocket kits and supplies than you can shake a stick at.

Welcome back to the Hobby! There aren't many bricks-and-mortar stores that stock larger motors, so buying from an onsite vendor at a club launch is the easiest way to avoid hazmat fees. Hobby Lobby is good only for Estes black powder motors and priceless relics from the dawn of civilization.

The Hobby Lobby in my area quit selling Sumerian tablets. They said they would now only stock Mayan and Aztec tablets. I mean, like those are a proper substitute!

Trust me ... you were in a 23-year enlightened age, where people do not obsess with rocketry, where people do not roll up $100 bills and shove them into a tube and set them on fire. Now, you have re-entered the dark age! :dark:

Welcome back to the hobby! I see that you live about 30 minutes from me. I've been to several JMRC launches now, all at MIS so far. I know they have two other fields they fly from now and then. They usually have two vendors there, one a CTI/Loki dealer and the other is an AT dealer. If you're looking for motors, I imagine they'll have what suites you for the foreseeable future. Plenty of G's to choose from. Hope to meet you at a launch soon!

Next launch is August 26th

https://www.jmrconline.org

welcome back to what was a hobby 20sum years ago is now considered by many an addiction.:kill:
yup, hazmat can be a bugger, but buying in bulk spreads that price out.
youre gonna end up buying in bulk anyways. :)
theres some awesome vendors online for both motors and kits/supplies,too.
also check out the local clubs and see iffen they have vendors at their launches.palmyra looks like a prety central location to where a few different clubs launch.

i have a feeling that when ya see the different manufacturers of kits and motors available today that werent 20sum years ago,
youre BP may rise.

JMRC is the closest club, and I plan to go to their next launch and probably join.

Welcome Muddymoose...

Take a ride up to Muskegon on Saturday & Sunday July 28 & 29 for NARAM59 >> https://www.nar.org/site/naram-59/

Bring your wallet - Multiple vendors ready to trade cash for motors (no hazmat fee)

Bring your camera - Lots of cool rockets to see - guaranteed

Ask lots of questions - Rocket folk love to talk your ear off about their favorite subject.

Stick around Saturday night for the "Swamp Gas" night launch. My daughter Sabrina will be there with some of her illuminated rockets. (picture below)

Maybe even bring some rockets to launch. :)

IMG_20161105_200015.jpg

G motors for Ariel: look at Loki 38/120 or AT 29/40-120, especially if you got the Kwik Switch.

I did get the Kwik Switch and will probably go with the AT 29/40-120.

~10 no-Hazmat loads available that way. You'll still need to fly it at a waivered launch, unless you can cut the weight down by about 4oz

Crap you're right, the weight on the Ariel is a problem. I thought I could fly it on a G80 pre-cert to check the flight characteristics before going to H for the L1, but even the G80 puts it into the HPR category based on weight, by a few ounces. That sucks. I went with the Ariel because I wanted a heavier, slower, more dramatic launch but didn't consider the takeoff weight would be just over the line. Worst case I get something a little more modest to make the L1 transition, or fly the Ariel without a G80 and just hope for the best at the L1 cert.

I personally wouldn't want to fly 51oz on a single midpower motor. Maybe twins that get by just under 4oz of propellant?

I thought the 51 oz. with a G80 would make for a slow majestic launch and low-altitude, easy recovery. Is your concern that the altitude would be too low for effective parachute deployment?

Nope, just the Model Rocket limits while getting enough speed off the rod. g80's a HazMat, no problem if you can get 'em local.

The g76 hits ~150N/30lbf peak in the first 10th of a second. I'd expect the RSO to raise an eyebrow, so I'd bring a sim printout.

Last edited:
Nope, just the Model Rocket limits while getting enough speed off the rod.

The g76 hits ~150N/30lbf peak in the first 10th of a second. I'd expect the RSO to raise an eyebrow, so I'd bring a sim printout.

Would eight feet of 1010 rail help her get moving? I was planning on launching the Ariel on a new custom heavy steel launch pad with eight feet of 1010 rail. At the public launches do you get to use your own pad or do you use some shared public pad?

The sim printout might prove beneficial, but I haven't pulled the trigger on RockSim yet.

Would eight feet of 1010 rail help?
PML makes an .ork for this, downloadable from their website. OpenRocket plays well with it.

Leaving the forward airframe ( payload ) out ( NC directly on booster ) keeps you under the FAR101 limit if you build light, 19m/s off your 8ft rail, 61m/s top speed, 220m flight or so.

4s stock delay gives a bit of a jerk, or you could drill a 7 down to the 5-6 range.

Back