LiquidFyre Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ravenex

TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
liquidfyre%20logo.png

Well I guess it's a little late, but I'm starting this thread to officially promote my products at LiquidFyre Rocketry. We have released and are in full productions of our first set of products, our through wall camera shroud system, we also sell genuine Mobius and 808 #16 cameras.

The LiquidFyre shrouds are the only through wall camera shrouds for the rocketry hobby. The system consist of a molded shroud, and a machined camera carrier, along with the camera and lens extension cable. They are available for the 808 keychain camera with the "D" lens and the Mobius ActionCam with the "C2" lens.

We designed our shrouds to provide a minimized, aerodynamic, sudo-ogive camera protrusion while positioning the camera at the optimum angle for the best view (airframe to horizon with the mobius camera). Our shrouds are also designed to be extremely durable; the shroud is molded from 5 layers of of 5.7oz 2K twill carbon fiber cloth (approx. 0.045" thick) and the carriers are machined from solid linen phenolic. They have survived ballistic recovery, burying them 5 feet into clay and landing flat on gravel from 3000 ft with no damage but scratched paint. (In both cases the 808 cameras were not damaged either).

All of our camera carriers are made from solid CNC machined linen phenolic making them lightweight and extremely durable with a consistent precision fit. They are designed to be easily transferable between rockets of the same diameter. The mounting threads are reinforced with stainless steel helical inserts and will not wear out with repeated mounting and dismounting. The system is available with open and sealed style camera carriers. The open design of the carrier allows for easy access to the SD card and USB port for easy charging and data download. Open carriers are not sealed and are recommended for installation in electronics bays or other placements where they will not be exposed to ejection gasses since ejection gasses can be corrosive to the electronics in the camera and may damage the unit. The sealed carrier design provides a seal between the airframe and carrier and can be installed even where it will be in close proximity to ejection charges. The camera can still be accessed for charging and data access by lifting the camera body out of the carrier. Note: the sealed carrier does not provide a seal against water or other contaminants from outside of the rocket that could still damage the camera.

To install our system the shroud is permanently installed through the wall of an airframe or coupler and airframe and the camera is permanently mounted to a carrier. Since the camera is permanently mounted to the carrier you will need one camera per carrier, which can then be transferred between rockets of the same diameter with shrouds installed. For example if you have two 3in rockets and one 2in rocket that you want to install LiquidFyre shrouds in you would minimally need one 2in kit, one 3in kit, one 3in shroud, and 2 cameras. Your 3in rockets would then share the carrier and camera between them.

Mobius camera shrouds are currently available in 3" and 4" airframe sizes and the 808 camera shrouds are currently available in 2", 3", and 4".

LiquidFyre also offers coupler and switch bands pre routed in applicable tube sizes from our Madcow Rocketry and Wildman Rocketry. We also offer routing in non-standard positions or other vendors tubing (in available shroud sizes). We can also make our shrouds in fiberglass and / or with high temperature epoxies. Please contact us for information.

You can find all of our products at https://www.LiquidFyre-Rocketry.com. Over the next week or two I will be working to update the site to add more pictures, dimensioned technical drawings, and make the documentation easier to find. I will also be adding an option for thick wall and thin wall Madcow tubing, and product options for custom tube routing.

Mobius-Shroud-228x228.JPG
Mobius-Carrier-Open-228x228.JPG
Mobius-Carrier-Sealed-228x228.JPG
Mobius-Shrouds-175x175.JPG
Mobius ShroudMobius Open CarrierMobius Sealed CarrierInstalled Mobius Shroud

Very slick equipment! I'm not a camera guy myself, but I'm looking forward to seeing these more often for some awesome Rocketry videos!

I have also posted a survey to help me determine what new sizes of camera shrouds to come out with next and to evaluate a possible new camera, the Mobius Mini. Anyone who takes the survey and enters their email address will receive a coupon code for 5% off any order. The survey can be found here:

https://goo.gl/forms/EQat4p5OyTjVDT9L2

FYI- if anyone is interested- I'll have one of these on my 4" punisher at the next WOOSH rocketry launch at Bong on July 29 (weather permitting)- flying on a K740 Cstar motor. It's already built and ready to go.. just need to finish painting the rocket and prep.

Other than me being a doofus and using the wrong drill template (and ending up with a few "speed holes" in my punisher), it probably took me maybe 30 min total to get the shroud put together and installed. I'm already thinking about the next rocket to put one on.

Last edited:
FYI- if anyone is interested- I'll have one of these on my 4" punisher at the next WOOSH rocketry launch at Bong on June 29 (weather permitting)- flying on a K740 Cstar motor. It's already built and ready to go.. just need to finish painting the rocket and prep.

Other than me being a doofus and using the wrong drill template (and ending up with a few "speed holes" in my punisher), it probably took me maybe 30 min total to get the shroud put together and installed. I'm already thinking about the next rocket to put one on.

I'm assuming you mean July 29th... I will attempt to be there to see the flight. Please concider reviewing the product on the website or on the forum here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?141291-LiquidFyre-Rocketry-Reviews

And please post your videos after the flight!

You are correct- it will be July. The shroud is nice, but not a time machine!

You mention that you'll be coming out with both thin wall and regular couplers for Madcow rockets. Which size are the versions currently on sale on your site (and Madcow's)?

You mention that you'll be coming out with both thin wall and regular couplers for Madcow rockets. Which size are the versions currently on sale on your site (and Madcow's)?

The tubing we currently have, which is standard on current Madcow kits, is thin wall for the 2" and 3". I believe 4" is only available in thin wall.

Id be interested in seeing an Mobius Mini Open Carrier version that does not require the lens to be removed. Yes I know it is easy to remove and mount the lens, but having the option to move the intact camera from one rocket to another would be a major plus. Systems that are simple and modular might increase interest in your carriers and shrouds. Looking forward to seeing more!

Id be interested in seeing an Mobius Mini Open Carrier version that does not require the lens to be removed. Yes I know it is easy to remove and mount the lens, but having the option to move the intact camera from one rocket to another would be a major plus. Systems that are simple and modular might increase interest in your carriers and shrouds. Looking forward to seeing more!

Unfortunately the extension is necessary to get the lens up and out of the airframe. Otherwise you would need a shroud wide enough for the entire camera body which would only be an option on large airframe. It might be possible with cylindrical style cameras or with a first surface mirror setup. Maybe sometime in the future I will look into these options.

Other than my video with some early 808 prototypes I'm not aware of anyone posting video from one of my kits, despite a fair number of them already flying. Unfortunately I do not have any video from a production unit yet and it will likely be October before I do, and it will likely be with the Mobius Mini.

Makes sense. still kinda new. Gonna take a bit for people to wedge them into builds

Justin,

I think I may have misread your something in your post when I initially replied. While the LiquidFyre shroud does require you to remove the lens from the camera body to get it up and out of the airframe, the camera body and lens are both mounted together in the camera carrier. This allows the carrier/camera assembly to be easily moved from one rocket to another of the same diameter, provided they have a shroud installed, with only two screws.

Video here of my launch:

[video]https://youtu.be/ly_lmRAhvWQ[/video]

had no main come out, due to operator error, but the shroud worked!

Nice video.

Try as I might, I can not like that fish eye lens. Will this product work with a regular lens?

Nice video.

Try as I might, I can not like that fish eye lens. Will this product work with a regular lens?

The current versions only work with the wide angle lenses, this is because the wide angle lenses are longer and the length is needed to get the lens up and out of the airframe, the sensor is much wider and cannot fit up into the shroud. The next camera I plan to make a shroud for is the Mobius Mini. On the mini both the standard and wide angle lenses have the same dimensions so both will work in the shrouds. I will sell both cameras once this product is released.

Brian- I'm ok with staying with the fisheye lens, based on your explanation. Now I just need to fly my punisher again! That and figure out how to get one in a 6" donut av bay for my v2 :)

Thanks Brian.

I've never held a Mobius so I haven't a clue about how the lenses look or fit or what not. I built my Tyrannosaur with enough empty space in the A/V bay for one of these for when the narrow angle can be implemented. I don't have the funds to buy a camera and mess around with it to come up with a solution. I will have to rob from my motor money and then I would be filming the ground. LOL Until then I will have a bump on the side of my rockets for my El-Cheapo key fob.

Video here of my launch:

[video]https://youtu.be/ly_lmRAhvWQ[/video]

had no main come out, due to operator error, but the shroud worked!

Can you post so images of the installed shroud / camera?

Sorry for the delay in posting- here is the pieces apart. I'll post a pic later today of the whole thing installed. Note- I accidentally drilled the holes wrong for the shroud, so got some extra holes that were filled with epoxy. Stupid error on my part. Note- it worked great and was easy to use at the launch!

IMG_0814.jpgIMG_0815.jpg

Bump- will be flying my punisher again at MWP on an L960 EX motor. Can't wait to see the video from the camera!

Bump- will be flying my punisher again at MWP on an L960 EX motor. Can't wait to see the video from the camera!

I will be there, with my family and some friends. We will be with my dad, whose massive rockets and Python Rocketry trailer are hard to miss, please stop by if you have time.

The current versions only work with the wide angle lenses, this is because the wide angle lenses are longer and the length is needed to get the lens up and out of the airframe, the sensor is much wider and cannot fit up into the shroud. The next camera I plan to make a shroud for is the Mobius Mini. On the mini both the standard and wide angle lenses have the same dimensions so both will work in the shrouds. I will sell both cameras once this product is released.

I have the original Mobius too .. I bought it because it had the ability to extend the lens with a aftermarket cable as well as external power for starting -- but to date have only taped to side of rocket.

MikeyDSlagle and I will have to devise a mo-better solution for our mo-bius .

Kenny

Just an update- my Punisher at MWP shredded around 8k feet, due to the motor being too much for the airframe (RRC3 is telling me it hit mach 2+, which seems crazy to me). The main chute was reduced to a pile of fabric scraps, and the rocket was basically destroyed as it crashed to the earth.

But the Liquid Fyre shroud+ camera holder survived without a scratch! And got perfect video (As best as you can get in those circumstances)!

Back