LiquidFyre Rocketry

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just an update- my Punisher at MWP shredded around 8k feet, due to the motor being too much for the airframe (RRC3 is telling me it hit mach 2+, which seems crazy to me). The main chute was reduced to a pile of fabric scraps, and the rocket was basically destroyed as it crashed to the earth.

But the Liquid Fyre shroud+ camera holder survived without a scratch! And got perfect video (As best as you can get in those circumstances)!

Please post this video when you have a chance.

Please post this video when you have a chance.

here: [video=youtube;lpe660sFQoU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpe660sFQoU[/video]

you can see the rocket did something funky before it hit apogee. My guess is either drag separation or a shred of some sort. Or both :)

Too bad your camera wasn't aimed down!

Two fins got ripped off my rocket along with the fiberglass between them. The drogue was missing (other than it's shroud lines), and the main (30" recon) was all ripped up. Thought at first it was a motor cato (as it was an EX motor), but the EX motor case is fine- no burns, ruptures, or whatever. CZTeacherman thinks that when the rocket crashed the last time (popped two fins loose) that maybe it had some fg wall or centering ring damage that I didn't notice, but was weakened. I can believe this. The important thing is that it was a cool up part of the video, and I probably should make that motor again :)

Due to a significant and on going family medical emergency the production of all LiquidFyre Rocketry products will be on hold. This includes all of the new Mobius Mini product. Further I have a limited stock of 808 and Mobius product that I will be able to ship. If you need something please email before placing an order to verify stock. I currently intend to get everything back up and going as soon as possible but do not know how long that will take. Please bare with us. If you need to cancel an existing order please email [email protected] and I will try to get back to you as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your patience

Just an update- my Punisher at MWP shredded around 8k feet, due to the motor being too much for the airframe (RRC3 is telling me it hit mach 2+, which seems crazy to me). The main chute was reduced to a pile of fabric scraps, and the rocket was basically destroyed as it crashed to the earth.

But the Liquid Fyre shroud+ camera holder survived without a scratch! And got perfect video (As best as you can get in those circumstances)!

based on some rough numbers, mach 2 is possible... I counted ~3.5-4 sec to your estimated 8k... That gives a range of M1.7 to 2.0.... COOL

based on some rough numbers, mach 2 is possible... I counted ~3.5-4 sec to your estimated 8k... That gives a range of M1.7 to 2.0.... COOL

So the answer is... not fast enough! :) But that explains why it shredded.. I had done some repairs on it earlier, and I think it had more internal damage than originally suspected. Either way, I guess my EX motor was one heck of an L motor...

More importantly- Ravenex- I hope everything goes well with you and your family.

Due to a significant and on going family medical emergency the production of all LiquidFyre Rocketry products will be on hold. This includes all of the new Mobius Mini product. Further I have a limited stock of 808 and Mobius product that I will be able to ship. If you need something please email before placing an order to verify stock. I currently intend to get everything back up and going as soon as possible but do not know how long that will take. Please bare with us. If you need to cancel an existing order please email [email protected] and I will try to get back to you as quickly as possible.

Thanks for your patience

Hope things are getting better on the medical emergency front. An update on production restart would be appreciated.

Please tell me you are uploading that video somewhere!! ;)

Ravenex- I hope everything is going ok with your family. FYI there’s a guy looking for you on the Model Rocketry Fanatics FB group.

I want to thank everyone for your support and understanding especially those who have waited a long time for now long overdue Mobius Mini pre-orders with money on the line. Now that things are settling to a new normal of sorts I want to give you all an explanation and an update.

March 20th around 5:15pm I got a call that my dad had been taken by ambulance to the hospital and while speaking to a nurse had lost feeling and strength on his left side and then lost consciousness. They found he had a significant brain hemorrhage / stroke and was being transported to the nearest hospital with a neurosurgery department. An hour and a half later he was in surgery and the doctors weren't sure if he'd wake up and if he did what condition he would be in.

On the upside, at least from the stroke stand point, he is doing pretty well, way better than the doctors and nurses expected. His only real physical impairment is a loss of some vision on one side, and cognitively he is pretty near 100%. The loss of vision does mean he isn’t currently able to drive.

On the down side, while removing the blood clot the neurosurgeon found unusual tissue which they confirmed was an aggressive type of brain tumor. This has led to a second surgery, many, many appointment, and now 5 days a week radiation plus chemo.

My dad is tolerating his treatments well, and pushed him to complete his L3 attempt he had planned, which he successfully completed at Mini Midwest Power with his giant Yellow Bird. Everyone else is handling things as well as could be expected.

As for LiquidFyre Rocketry, I have not been able to work on it at all these last two months. I am driving my dad to most of his appointments, which has me working reduced hours at work and making up what I can outside of work so time has become tight. Now that there is a consistent schedule I am hoping to at least have some time to get back to work.

I will start filling orders I have parts for this week. This includes most 808 and Mobius products. I am out of a one or two shroud sizes and some seals but these are relatively easy and quick to make. I will also be getting back to making the tooling for the Mobius Mini after which I will have a better idea of a timeframe for releasing those products.

Brian- very glad to hear your dad is on the mend! Hope his recovery continues and he gets better and better.

I hope you're father continues to improve. Just wondering how much longer will us pre-orderers must wait for our orders to be filled.

@Ravenex - was thinking about your family and hope you all are doing ok. Will you be at MWP this year?

Also- hoping the business starts back up.... looking for one of your pre-routed couplers for a winter project.

Thanks for all of your well wishes, I haven't been on the forums much in a long while and finally got back here today. Things are not much better, but they are more stable. My dad's cancer has not progressed any further and was almost entirely removed during surgery which is great news. With this particular disease in never goes away so stopping it's progression is as best as can be done. The statistics are really ugly but my dad is on the right side of all of them. He is still unable to drive due to lasting vision loss from the stroke and side effects from medications. He is wearing a medical device that uses electromagnetic fields to slow the cancers cell divisions, which is awesome but also a major pain in the ass. But all in all things are as good as can be expected.

I have been meaning to get this update out for a couple weeks. It's been difficult working up the energy to lay this all out as it's obviously not a high point in my life. I will also be send this directly to all of my customers. I want to thank all of my customers who have been willing to wait so patiently while I work through all of this, especially those with money on the line since all the way back to last November. I want to reassure everyone you will get your product, and I will not abandon your orders.

I ran out all of my PTO with my dad’s initial flurry of appointments so all of the time I'm missing for ongoing appointments and illnesses in the family requires me to work a lot of late nights and weekends to make up hours. This has resulted in a severe lack of time even to pack orders.

808 and Mobius products are mostly in stock except for a few sizes of seals which should be done soon. Also all of the cameras and accessories are in stock. Shipping is currently taking 3-5 weeks for in stock stuff.

Also my Dad used to do all of my carbon molding at his house and then I would use his equipment for all of the secondary operations with his help swapping parts in the fixtures. He was often able to mold 4-5 runs of parts in a week, since March he has not felt up for doing this on his own. I only have 1 or 2 mold cavities for 808 and Mobius shrouds and 2-4 for Mini shrouds, so only being able do one run a week has slowed things down.

I am trying to 3D print my jigs and fixtures which looks like it will work and will save cost, and time, and allow me to make better jigs. This has a bit of a learning curve but I have access to this printer at work, when it's not otherwise occupied, and with the help of a coworker. I have made one set as a prototype which worked really well. We attempted to do a bulk print with a large number of them but had a failure. For each size there are 4 jig pieces per shroud size which are needed to drill and trim the shrouds. This means 28 jig pieces with a total print time of 36 hours. If I can't get these done at work in the next week I will outsource them somewhere.

I am also waiting for access to the CNC router I use to make carriers to run a plate of Mini carriers. This should happen in the next week or two and I will be able to run all of the out-standing parts with some extras. That would leave only seals and pads for the Mini sealed units to be manufactured; I am not yet sure when I will be able to get on the laser to make those. Hopefully it will be soon.

So, parts are being made slowly and Mobius Mini parts will hopefully start to ship in November beginning with orders for open style carriers without routed tubes.

Thanks for all of your well wishes, I haven't been on the forums much in a long while and finally got back here today. Things are not much better, but they are more stable. My dad's cancer has not progressed any further and was almost entirely removed during surgery which is great news. With this particular disease in never goes away so stopping it's progression is as best as can be done. The statistics are really ugly but my dad is on the right side of all of them. He is still unable to drive due to lasting vision loss from the stroke and side effects from medications. He is wearing a medical device that uses electromagnetic fields to slow the cancers cell divisions, which is awesome but also a major pain in the ass. But all in all things are as good as can be expected.

I have been meaning to get this update out for a couple weeks. It's been difficult working up the energy to lay this all out as it's obviously not a high point in my life. I will also be send this directly to all of my customers. I want to thank all of my customers who have been willing to wait so patiently while I work through all of this, especially those with money on the line since all the way back to last November. I want to reassure everyone you will get your product, and I will not abandon your orders.

I ran out all of my PTO with my dad’s initial flurry of appointments so all of the time I'm missing for ongoing appointments and illnesses in the family requires me to work a lot of late nights and weekends to make up hours. This has resulted in a severe lack of time even to pack orders.

808 and Mobius products are mostly in stock except for a few sizes of seals which should be done soon. Also all of the cameras and accessories are in stock. Shipping is currently taking 3-5 weeks for in stock stuff.

Also my Dad used to do all of my carbon molding at his house and then I would use his equipment for all of the secondary operations with his help swapping parts in the fixtures. He was often able to mold 4-5 runs of parts in a week, since March he has not felt up for doing this on his own. I only have 1 or 2 mold cavities for 808 and Mobius shrouds and 2-4 for Mini shrouds, so only being able do one run a week has slowed things down.

I am trying to 3D print my jigs and fixtures which looks like it will work and will save cost, and time, and allow me to make better jigs. This has a bit of a learning curve but I have access to this printer at work, when it's not otherwise occupied, and with the help of a coworker. I have made one set as a prototype which worked really well. We attempted to do a bulk print with a large number of them but had a failure. For each size there are 4 jig pieces per shroud size which are needed to drill and trim the shrouds. This means 28 jig pieces with a total print time of 36 hours. If I can't get these done at work in the next week I will outsource them somewhere.

I am also waiting for access to the CNC router I use to make carriers to run a plate of Mini carriers. This should happen in the next week or two and I will be able to run all of the out-standing parts with some extras. That would leave only seals and pads for the Mini sealed units to be manufactured; I am not yet sure when I will be able to get on the laser to make those. Hopefully it will be soon.

So, parts are being made slowly and Mobius Mini parts will hopefully start to ship in November beginning with orders for open style carriers without routed tubes.

Thanks for the update, Brian. Best wishes to your father on his recovery.

I've purchased your shrouds and carriers in the past, and they are great. Nothing else like them on the market. Hope when the time is right for you, you are able to get back into full production mode.

Hi Brian, any update on the Mobius Mini products? I've had $300+ order pending since Black Friday 2017....

FWIW, I ordered an 808 shroud from stock back in December and just recently received it. Brian responded to my emails so I think you should contact him directly with questions.

So, I can finally post some more updates with some positive progress. I was unexpectedly shut down at the beginning of November with no access to a CNC router. This was because the owner of the building in which my friend was renting space for the router sold the building without any notice. The router had to be moved out and stored while something new could be arranged. The router is now set up in a new space only half an hour from my home (it was an hour and a half) and to which I will have my own key. This will allow me to run my parts more freely. I am writing this post from the shop while the first batch of Mini Carriers is running. If everything goes as planned those will be done in a few more hours.

IMG_20190203_193525586.jpg

I also had some delays on the 3D printer fixtures, but those are also now completed.

IMG_20190120_171911228.jpg

I have also finished molding all of the Mini Shrouds needed to fill the backorders.

IMG_20190120_171638456.jpg
IMG_20190120_171443771.jpg

All that is left now is the secondary operations which are time consuming but over which I have a lot more control. This means I should be shipping Mini product soon, though I am still reluctant to give a date. The other bit of work that needs to be complete on the Mini products is the documentation. I will be working on it over the next weeks and the installation manual and routing templates will be on my site as they are completed.

I will hopefully have an update soon with a shipping schedule.

Back