BBR900 in a Bottle?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gsanders

EastCoaster
Reaction score
I'd like to perhaps put my BRB900 Transmitter in a something like a plastic pill bottle / container and attach it to one of my bulkhead attachment points with Kevlar string inside the top payload / airframe. Here are a few questions...

* Would the plastic container lessen or impair the signal being received from the satellites (for establishing the GPS co-ord.) or the signal being produced by the transmitter?

* Does anyone have any ideas where a person could get a plastic tube about 1.5" wide x 4.5" long? Something with a "loop" on the top cover would be nice so you could use it as an attachment point.

Any ideas or input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Plastic will be fine. The only thing that will really impair the signal is carbon fiber. Close proximity to metal (such as all-thread) may attenuate signal some but I have yet to experience that claim!

Put it in a 35mm film canister and poke a hole for the antenna. Never tried it, but sounds reasonable....

I'd like to perhaps put my BRB900 Transmitter in a something like a plastic pill bottle / container and attach it to one of my bulkhead attachment points with Kevlar string inside the top payload / airframe. Here are a few questions...

* Would the plastic container lessen or impair the signal being received from the satellites (for establishing the GPS co-ord.) or the signal being produced by the transmitter?

* Does anyone have any ideas where a person could get a plastic tube about 1.5" wide x 4.5" long? Something with a "loop" on the top cover would be nice so you could use it as an attachment point.

Any ideas or input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance...

Build it using pvc or abs pipe and fittings.

Steve Shannon

Unless the BRB900 got a lot smaller since I got mine, it won't fit in a 35mm film can. A guy I know made me a custom case for mine and I just zip tie the case to the shock cord.

Unless the BRB900 got a lot smaller since I got mine, it won't fit in a 35mm film can. A guy I know made me a custom case for mine and I just zip tie the case to the shock cord.

Maybe not. I didn't have mine in front of me to look at when I posted.

BRB900s ride in plastic nose cones all the time, antenna and all. :facepalm:

Whatever you do, secure the BRB900 firmly in its container. Don't let it rattle around. Unlike an RDF transmitter, it is a fairly delicate piece of electronics. The GPS module can easily come undone from the board. The unit will fit in a 38mm coupler tube.

What is this thing you call "film?" :wink:

Does anyone know if someone out there makes a case for the BRB900 or perhaps 3D prints one?

Last edited:
Back