Igniter / starter in moon burner?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrkennedy2

Reaction score
So, how does one insert an igniter in to a 75mm, 6gr moon burner? The bore and the nozzle don't align (given) and the dowel to hold the igniter would have to bend quite a lot... :confused:

M840? Just had that problem a few weeks ago. The usual dowel or cardboard stick they provide will not go around the corner.

We have a bamboo blind at the launch site that was specifically purchased for the task. Grab three of the wooden sticks from the blind, hold together as a bunch, and using tape attach the igniter to the top of the bunch. Add a couple more pieces of tape along the bunch to hold the wire and the bunch together. I think you can figure out the rest. Works well.
images.jpg

M840? Just had that problem a few weeks ago. The usual dowel or cardboard stick they provide will not go around the corner.

We have a bamboo blind at the launch site that was specifically purchased for the task. Grab three of the wooden sticks from the blind, hold together as a bunch, and using tape attach the igniter to the top of the bunch. Add a couple more pieces of tape along the bunch to hold the wire and the bunch together. I think you can figure out the rest. Works well.
View attachment 323729

Yep, M-840... :cool:

Great point, bamboo is quite flexible! Do you need 3 pieces for strength?

Much thanks!

Do you need 3 pieces for strength?
Yep. Probably depends on the quality of the blind you buy. Ours was really cheap and maybe even thinner than toothpicks, so one was not enough. Three felt about right. YMMV.

I like the M840. I have a couple more on order :)

I really like the long burns / mellows. This is my first M-class one...!!! I need to get in-line for the 75mm and 98mm CTI motors. I still have an M1890 red I plan to launch Sept 16 at S.C.O.R.E. Those put one helluva dent in my wallet. But, I'd love to find a N1800 or an M1450 (or both!). Won't dent the wallet, pretty much total it. The M795 is a 12.5 second burner! Unfortunately, my 98mm bird is 13.5' x 8" and weighs 80# on the pad. So the M1450 (Classic) is as low initial impulse as I dare. :fly:

Thank you again for the guidance!

Back