Question on air pressure bleeder hole in a PML Ariel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jnmiller

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a PML Ariel, which I've flown only once so far for my Level 1 cert approx 6 weeks ago (perfect flight!!). I am considering
flying this again on a J motor for a level 2 attempt, although I realize this may go close to 4000' !

I have a question though about the instructions and the placement of the bleeder hole. The instructions state to place the hole in the payload section
but did not mention placing a hole in the main airframe. Wouldn't that be necessary as well for high altitude flights?

Also can anyone recommend a good cheap tracker that doesn't require a HAM license?
I'm planning to use a JLCR to minimize drift.

Yep, I know I have a better chance of succeeding with a fat heavy rocket that will have a lower possibility of getting lost.. that's plan B ! :)

+1....yes vent hole in each section to bleed of trapped air pressure.

Define "cheap" tracker....never heard of anything decent for under 75-100.00 for transmitter & 250 -500 [or more] for ground receiver. There is GPS total package for 275 ish from Missleworks.

Or borrow one from club or "rent" one from fellow flier. or worst case...buy a transmitter and borrow the ground unit.

Last edited:
A bleeder in each section is a good idea.

Check out Eggtimer Rocketry for for cheap tracking solutions. The good thing is you get to assemble the kits yourself! (not as hard as you may think :wink:)

If you can borrow one it might be free, assuming you don't break it.

Back