Where's The New Estes Catalog?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This whole discussion is a side show. What's important is that Estes remain healthy as a company and continue to output great kits, which they have certainly been doing during John Boren's tenure.

While the catalogs are nice, in 2017 the website is *way* more important. Certainly the website could use some work, but in its current state it is adequately functional.

This is a niche business, and I can't fault them for concentrating their resources where there's most payoff.

Printed catalogs (and a summertime musical interlude):

Agreed. This whole counterargument, to me, sounds more like "things have changed and I don't like it. Waa waa..." then anything actually practical.

I would really, really like some of those old time Taco flavored Doritos like they had in the 70's, the ones almost completely covered in the old style flavoring that made your fingers dark brown. I'm talking way before Nacho Cheese, Cool Ranch and all the other silly new flavors. They re- released Taco flavor a few years back but it was not like the old days, and they too have since been discontinued. With out the old Taco flavor and a printed Estes Catalog, how can one relive those by gone childhood days? You had to be so careful not to stain the catalog pages while eating those chips after school, dreaming of flying that Saturn 1B, but where were you ever going to get the $15.99 and a ride to the big city to get one? It is so hard on the old farts these days! Have Pity! All you can do is Dream On!

Got my laptop and am a lookin' at the Apogee Saturn 1B. Where am I gonna get the $227.93? How am I going to sneak it into the house? Got to go to yet another website to see if one of those CTI mellows will give me the slow NASA style lift off. How many more dern websites! I just wanna sit back and turn the pages. What! no more Playboy! What is the world coming too?

it's been my opinion if they don't plan on printing anymore catologs,they should keep doing the PDF versions for download,just say'n.

Heck, if AT is getting away with a catalog that's so old it worthless.....why shouldn't Estes cut costs, too? At least Estes updates their web site.

As much as I prefer a print catalog, a LOT of sales these days revolves around internet sales and internet product information. My company buys multi million dollar computer control supplies.....and ALL of the information that we get from the manufacturer for installation, operation, and troubleshooting information is internet only from them. Thank goodness the Germans translate into English extremely well.

I'd rather have Estes and no catalog than no Estes and no catalog.

It would cost too much to offer a PDF version - that would still take time, $$$$ and manpower that wouldn't give them a return on their investment.
I'm from the mid 60's timeframe and I am ok with new technology. Have to keep up with the times!!!

A PDF version is probably nearly the same cost (minus printing cost of course) to produce as a hardcopy catalog, both require the same type of manpower, artwork etc.

I swear I don't know how you got through that post without mentioning "the mighty D engine". I am disappointed.

What? You don't have to be an experienced rocketeer to use the Mighty D Engine? No more catalogs? Launching rockets is no longer allowed at the local park? Non pyrogenic igniters? No more sanding sealer? Kids these days are scared of Xacto knives? Don't fly it if you can't sim it? Large and Dangerous Rocket Ships regularly flying on high power F and G motors?

Calgon - take me away!

Take me away to the Pepsi swollen innocence of the 60's and 70's. Back to the good ole days of the last century!

Golly, I hope you are not disappointed with that one! Had to reach back into the Grumpy Old Man archives for some of that jive! :)

A catalog made sense decades ago when product lines were developed and introduced at one time per year. yes, there were old catalogs that said things like "available July 1977", but that was for only a few products.

Now-a-days there are products introduced throughout the year. A catalog is virtually impossible or worthless with new products being introduced and some products being dropped every month.

A website with a "coming soon" section and a "newly arrived" section is best.

A catalog made sense decades ago when product lines were developed and introduced at one time per year. yes, there were old catalogs that said things like "available July 1977", but that was for only a few products.

Now-a-days there are products introduced throughout the year. A catalog is virtually impossible or worthless with new products being introduced and some products being dropped every month.

A website with a "coming soon" section and a "newly arrived" section is best.

I am still waiting for that Cylon Raider rocket that was coming in "July."

I am still waiting for that Cylon Raider rocket that was coming in "July."

What about that Disney's Black Hole ship design that was announced, but never released? I understand that the kit was ready to be released, and at the last minute, Disney said that they didn't like it. So, Estes had a bonfire (literally) that was made from those kits.

Back