Greetings.....from Austin, Texas!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HandsomeRob

Reaction score
Ahoy!

As I sit here, waiting for glue to dry, listening to neighborhood fireworks going off, and finishing another cold adult beverage, I figured I've been lurking long enough and I might as well say hello!

Like so many people here, I flew rockets as a kid but, as life took hold, they kinda fell by the wayside. It's probably been close to 20 years since I've flown a rocket but sometime around the beginning of the year, they came across my radar again. Towards the end of May, I went to the Johnson Space Center down in Houston and that really lit a fire under me. I spent the last month researching everything I could on rocketry and 2 weeks ago, bit the bullet and bought an Estes Alpha 3 starter set. I can't believe how tiny that little rocket is! My interests really lie with mid and high power rockets and all the electronic gizmos and doodads that go with them. But, for starters, I want to build a few LPRs and hone my skills before getting the big toys. On Friday I picked up a Der Red Max and started working on it today. As I'm working on it, it looks like it potentially lends itself to some interesting modifications. I may pick up another one and slap a larger motor in there...

I hope to hit up the local club launch here in September and see what that's all about. Anyone else here from Austin?

I'm sure I'll ask a million more questions in the coming weeks, months, and years, but, for now: Howdy!

Howdy! My brother lives in Austin, but he's not into rocketry...does that count?

I've been wondering about rocketry out there. We might move there after I retire from my current employer in a couple years.

Welcome!

Lot's of helpful folks around here. Relax and enjoy the journey!

Greg

I'm the VP of the local club, Austin Area Rocketry Group. We fly the first Saturday of the month, pretty much year-round. Currently, we're flying at either the Hutto launch site or the Apache Pass site. Directions to both can be found on our web site:

https://www.aarg.org/

Our Yahoo group is here, and we have a facebook page under Austin Area Rocketry Group.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rocketry-austin/conversations/messages

I suspect we will be at Apache Pass in August and then Hutto starting in September.

Jim

I don't see it on the website...what are the waiver altitudes at your launch sites?

Thanks!

Howdy! My brother lives in Austin, but he's not into rocketry...does that count?

I've been wondering about rocketry out there. We might move there after I retire from my current employer in a couple years.

Heh, I'm not sure if that counts or not! I love this city. Not sure what the rocketry scene is like out here but if it's large enough to support a club, I can't imagine it's all that bad. I intend to find out...

I'm the VP of the local club, Austin Area Rocketry Group. We fly the first Saturday of the month, pretty much year-round. Currently, we're flying at either the Hutto launch site or the Apache Pass site. Directions to both can be found on our web site:

https://www.aarg.org/

Our Yahoo group is here, and we have a facebook page under Austin Area Rocketry Group.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/rocketry-austin/conversations/messages

I suspect we will be at Apache Pass in August and then Hutto starting in September.

Jim

Awesome! I wasn't totally sure if anyone from AARG was on here. I 'liked' the facebook page already, will have to check out the yahoo group. I almost sent off $12 bucks for the membership a couple weeks ago but thought I should maybe attend a launch first and see what it's all about. My work schedule generally has me working Saturdays but, with enough lead time, I can get them off. So I'm definitely in for September but I might shoot for the August launch too. I've got a buddy in Hutto and the site is just down the road from his place. He's got a couple of boys that would probably go nuts seeing a rocket launch so I'm trying to drag him along as well.

Heh, I'm not sure if that counts or not! I love this city. Not sure what the rocketry scene is like out here but if it's large enough to support a club, I can't imagine it's all that bad. I intend to find out...

Awesome! I wasn't totally sure if anyone from AARG was on here. I 'liked' the facebook page already, will have to check out the yahoo group. I almost sent off $12 bucks for the membership a couple weeks ago but thought I should maybe attend a launch first and see what it's all about. My work schedule generally has me working Saturdays but, with enough lead time, I can get them off. So I'm definitely in for September but I might shoot for the August launch too. I've got a buddy in Hutto and the site is just down the road from his place. He's got a couple of boys that would probably go nuts seeing a rocket launch so I'm trying to drag him along as well.

I don't do the memberships, but I believe they are prorated for the remaining part of the year. You might be looking at investing $6.

Here are a couple of videos showing typical launches at our sites. We typically have lots of kids and model rockets, but every now and then, someone flies an N.

Jim

https://youtu.be/aNu35kiYIwE

https://youtu.be/v9EBZ8NCDOU

Greetings from another Austinite and another newbie (this is my first time posting on these forums.)

In May I just showed up at the monthly AARG launch. Great friendly group, met some really nice people willing to share advice. You can't go wrong getting involved with them.

I used to build model rockets when I was a kid way too many years ago. Now my daughter is interested so we're going to build some together. Maybe we'll see you at the September launch.

welcome to the forum, also welcome back to the fold. we like pictures :).
Rex

Back