Tripoli Wisconsin- July 8

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Luck Sabrina on your Jr L-1 flight! I'll be there in spirit but, as usual i will be at work...
Updates/Pictures/Video will be appreciated! :eek:

Weather is looking pretty good for tomorrow!

Famous last words!:wink:

Can only be there in the am and early afternoon, but a half day hangin' with the TWA crew is way better than not at all!

Bringing turkey to share with Glen. If I throw it in the air at him, does it count as a flight....do I have to fill out a flightcard?

Bringing turkey to share with Glen. If I throw it in the air at him, does it count as a flight....do I have to fill out a flightcard?

It depends- can you throw it hard enough to get a 5:1 thrust/weight ratio?

It depends- can you throw it hard enough to get a 5:1 thrust/weight ratio?

At least hard enough to get a 3:1 T-t-W ratio. So long as its calm, that should pass the RSO check...

Here's something i would like to dedicate to my young friend who i *know* by now :rolleyes: has had to have successfully flown her NAR Jr. L-1 flight!

[YOUTUBE]c8AyVhs3gJU[/YOUTUBE]

and, something a little more to MY :D liking by some old ancient band i remember in bits and, pieces...:rolleyes:

[YOUTUBE]0-qZqAQ836k[/YOUTUBE]

You all didn't think us Truck Drivers listen to Country Music huh? Really? Not here or ever man...

You GO Girl! :eek:

It's is now a little after 9pm here in Malfunction Junction...(8pm Central) and, still no word-

Nothing from Gary about the flight of the Prototype Wildman Demon 150...
Nothing from Sabrina about her Cert. attempt...

I'm thinking the rumors are TRUE! A *GIANT* HODAG has come out of the swamp and, eaten all my friends. :surprised:
I will miss them all. :sigh:
Midwest Power will be sooooooo lonely this year with the loss of all my TWA friends...:cry:

Darn Hodag! :sigh:

No WM Demon 150. Tim said he left it home.
I didn't see Sabrina at the launch.
It was a great day to fly. Not to hot, not to windy, just right.

Gus... I've been to the swamp and back. Glen has been through the swamp and out the other side. Long story short, my cluster Troika has been recovered safely. Along the way, Glen found his hawk rocket that he lost two years ago in the swamp... And it's still flyable!
Preston fired off a few of his home brews. The M2100 Sparky was incredible... Love those throaty-roar sparkies he makes. Very impressive flight.
Otherwise lots of great flying. The weather was gorgeous. Only reason my cluster landed in swamp was a janky takeoff that I think had something to do with ignition timing of those 3 motors. Maybe need a longer launch rail to ensure they're all firing when it leaves the rail

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1499564967.053827.jpg

Yep. A rare Illinois swamp Hodag that lost its way and ended up in WI. Where it regurgitated some rockets.

Photo credit to Roberta.

Gary, Charles and, Eric- Thank you for the updates...
I would have been there but, there's this pesky thing called work and, I just can't justify a four hour drive after a 15 hour night behind the wheel of my Semi Truck.

I will see some of at Bong soon, Muskegon is next though and, my book is wide open afterwards.

Watch out for those Hodag's though...I've been told the warmer weather up north has increased their southerly movement! Still they can't get past Chicago.
GOOD! Hitting one of those (they have really poor eyesight) with a car is like hitting a water buffalo!:jaw:

It's is now a little after 9pm here in Malfunction Junction...(8pm Central) and, still no word-

Nothing from Gary about the flight of the Prototype Wildman Demon 150...
Nothing from Sabrina about her Cert. attempt...

I'm thinking the rumors are TRUE! A *GIANT* HODAG has come out of the swamp and, eaten all my friends. :surprised:
I will miss them all. :sigh:
Midwest Power will be sooooooo lonely this year with the loss of all my TWA friends...:cry:

Darn Hodag! :sigh:

Nope - No HODAG... it was a killer Cinnabon.

We usually stop someplace for breakfast before every launch. Today's choice was Cinnabon at the Kenosha Travel Plaza (Just down the road from the Mars Cheese Castle) Anyhoo - Sabrina ate half a Cinnabon, and it just didn't agree with her.

We got to Bong - picked-up the cert motor (AT H115 DMS) from Wildman... and that was it for Sabrina. Too sick to continue, mom took her home. :(

Jon R. and I stayed at the launch and flew a couple of Jons' rockets.

Next attempt for Sabrina will be at NARAM 59 - fingers crossed :)

Nope - No HODAG... it was a killer Cinnabon.

We usually stop someplace for breakfast before every launch. Today's choice was Cinnabon at the Kenosha Travel Plaza (Just down the road from the Mars Cheese Castle) Anyhoo - Sabrina ate half a Cinnabon, and it just didn't agree with her.

A "Killer" Cinnabon Bun?
Seriously? There's a joke in there...somewhere. :grin:

I will admit that as a Truck Driver, "I have never gotten sick from anything i have ever eaten at a Truckstop". ;)

:eek::eek::eek: BULL$#@%! :eek::eek::eek:

Hey, it can happen- Little bundle of energy slowly waking up and, getting moving finds/eats massive sugar laden power source in a depository of dangerous hydrocarbons...along the way to day long event involving self improvement and, stress from peers....

:puke:

"Houston, we have a problem!"

I hope somebodys tum-tum is doing better this morning...:D I will see all of you at NARAM 59 on Sunday...maybe even catch the big "Cert." event in person?! ;)

Hey, I built that Hawk you have in your right hand. Sold to someone three or four years back. Probably lost those records :/.

You sold it to me! It got a few flights, until it's untimely loss in the swamp 2 years ago :) But now it's returned home, like all good rockets do.

Very funny that I found it completely by accident, floating in swamp water that was up to my armpits.

You sold it to me! It got a few flights, until it's untimely loss in the swamp 2 years ago :) But now it's returned home, like all good rockets do.

Very funny that I found it completely by accident, floating in swamp water that was up to my armpits.

Isn't that a lovely smell? It took three washings to get the smell out of my clothes...

Yes! Dan and I ended up walking back to it later in the day - I think it is a right of passage that I crossed a swamp with an 8' rocket over my shoulder.... I guess I now am in the wet foot club.

It was a good day. I accomplished introducing my daughter to rockets on her 6th birthday. She had fun. I think what is likely for her though is that I join WOOSH and go to the sod farm launches with her- 15 minutes from the house and easy to go to with her. We left with the same number of rockets we came with.

I also helped Kevin Harnack with his 6" Minor Threat rocket on an AT M1850. It ended up across the top of a couple of trees, and took Kevin, Norm, Chris, and myself about an hour to extricate the rocket from the trees. Chutes and rocket are fine.

A good day.

@Mark; woosh generally tries for two low power launches a month, with 2nd launch at Johnson Creek on the 3rd Sunday of the month.
Rex

Yes! Dan and I ended up walking back to it later in the day - I think it is a right of passage that I crossed a swamp with an 8' rocket over my shoulder.... I guess I now am in the wet foot club.

It was a good walk, I wonder how many lost rockets are destroyed when the farm harvests the corn on the other side of the swamp.

It was a good walk, I wonder how many lost rockets are destroyed when the farm harvests the corn on the other side of the swamp.

I'm thinking the farmers watch out for them so they don't damage their equipment before rolling over them.

I paid a visit to the back 40 yesterday.. corn was a good 8' high!

IMG_0682.jpg

find the darkstar in this picture!

@Mark; woosh generally tries for two low power launches a month, with 2nd launch at Johnson Creek on the 3rd Sunday of the month.
Rex

I live not too far from the sod farm in New Berlin- does WOOSH still do low power stuff there?

re:sod farm
yes usually 1st Saturday of the month. I don't know if I really want a bunch of folks out at JC...makes it nice to test things w/o having to worry about the safety of others :).
Rex

Djs- no damage due to a properly sized Bong-length shock cord.... (35'). Part of it hung in a tree but I had a nice handle to pull on to get it down :)

Looking back on the video it took a sharp turn right off the pad - I'll post a video later to get some ideas to fix. Also my 24" drogue was way too big...

20170708_140747F.jpg

Last edited:
btw. did anyone find my Wildman Interceptor 54? It came in hot just north of the runway (but definitely south of the trees). Probably destroyed itself and made a large hole in the ground, but I'd like to see what's salvageable from it (esp the motor case). It's maroon with black fins, and has my name+number on a sticker near the bottom of it (assuming the sticker is still on it).

It's in a well trafficked area, so it'll hopefully turn up at the next woosh launch.

interceptor.png

btw. did anyone find my Wildman Interceptor 54? It came in hot just north of the runway (but definitely south of the trees). Probably destroyed itself and made a large hole in the ground, but I'd like to see what's salvageable from it (esp the motor case). It's maroon with black fins, and has my name+number on a sticker near the bottom of it (assuming the sticker is still on it).

It's in a well trafficked area, so it'll hopefully turn up at the next woosh launch.

View attachment 323751

Didn't find it, but did see it come in hot. I could recreate the trajectory and add whistling sound effects for drama if that helps.:wink:

Hope you find it! Don't go killing that turkey now!

Hope you find it! Don't go killing that turkey now!

There were a lot of upset people at the launch that I wasn't going to fly the turkey RIGHT NOW. Don't worry though- I already got a weight on it so I can do a proper thrust/weight ratio :)

Back