Spaceport America Cup

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tfish

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Below is what I posted on FB...

Spaceport America Cup launch report. This was my third year being able to be a vollunteer for this group. In the past, it's has been held in Green River UT. It's great to see so many amazing and energetic kids with some very cool ideas. The first days event was held at Las Cruses convention center which included judged presentations and displays. Judging consisted of a wide range of categories. Such as payloads, craftsmanship, technical merit, innovation and flight readiness. The actual launch was held out at Spaceport America. What an awesome place to hold a launch. Pads were located outside "Space X's" shed and camp and the LCO were right next to Up Aerospace's 'shed'. Flying rocket in and next to these locations put a smile on my face which I still have as I type this report. They kept me pretty busy as a volunteer and only have a few photos. I'm sure there are more photos and videos here on FB...(popular mechanics has a video up already https://www.popularmechanics.com/…/college-rocket-launching…/ ) Go Pro will too soon. The first day's launch only 14 teams were ready and made it out to the pads that were just under 2700 feet away. The second day had variable winds and temps up to 115 which slowed down the teams and the volunteers. Teams worked hard to prep their rockets and correct any flight readiness issues that had been found. Some flights did not go as planned. Spaceport America Fire and Ambulance crews stationed on the range and in camp got to show us their "stuff" too. A cato on the pad looked worse then it was. Only the rocket was burning and it did not get into the vegetation. The medics started a couple IV's on people not keeping up on their fluid intakes. The wind got pretty bad 17 sustained and gusts to 24 and the range was shut down for the day. Leaving 3 rockets on the pads I think students got 30 rockets to the pads. The 3rd and final day got off to a busy start. Student realized this was their last chance to fly. At one point we "had to" stop range operations to allow another group to fly. IIRC it was 2 miles away but a 50 foot rocket is not easy to hide. I was amazed at the sound of the Loki motors were putting out. But then again they were working their butts of to get the 1300 pound rocket off the pad. It reached apogee and all the project were deployed. I think it was just under 70 rockets that made it to the pads. Some teams were not able to fix flight readiness issues pointed by the judging teams. Some teams chose not to fly based on conversations with judges and other people. (that last sentence is not very clear nor a great way to end a flight report. Some rockets were cleared to fly but teams had second thoughts (Research motor mas flux concerns, meeting 5/1> thrust to weight ratios, but with winds over 10 mph. fin flutter issue hanging out near mach to long etc. Does that make sense?) Dinner and Awards held in SPA hanger...very cool. I'm still tired and need to get started cleaning out my truck. Sorry for the garbled, photo light report.

arch.jpg

wilson2.jpg

wilson.jpg

20170622_113153.jpg

20170624_130408.jpg

heavy.jpg

brush truck.jpg

awards.jpg

Loki... Scott's motors where in it He'll update his thread once he gets real reports. Other then seeing if fly I have only 3rd hand info.

Tony

Loki... Scott's motors where in it He'll update his thread once he gets real reports. Other then seeing if fly I have only 3rd hand info.

Tony

That is 100% more info than I knew, thanks. I hope he does give us the details on the "world's biggest high power sport rocket".

Interesting shots of MIT's rocket with detachable rail guides as it leave the rail. It was minimum diameter N2000 if I recall and went to about 30k.

MIT01.jpgMIT02.jpg

I took video of about half the launches...

[video=youtube;ZC7iR2HGufE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZC7iR2HGufE[/video]

Interesting shots of MIT's rocket with detachable rail guides as it leave the rail. It was minimum diameter N2000 if I recall and went to about 30k.

View attachment 323416View attachment 323417

My people from Ohio State were a little grumpy that Popular Mechanics were only spending time with the MIT kids. So they felt very little remorse when we won the competition. Maybe next year they will pay a little more attention to us...lol

Sorry just braggin' on my kids.

Todd Knight
Tripoli #9355 L3
Advisor BSLI @ The Ohio State University

My people from Ohio State were a little grumpy that Popular Mechanics were only spending time with the MIT kids. So they felt very little remorse when we won the competition. Maybe next year they will pay a little more attention to us...lol

Todd Knight
Tripoli #9355 L3

As well you should :cheers:

Todd Knight
Tripoli #9355 L3

For what its worth, any team can use my set up and get photographs like these. I was just using theirs because they did turn out good. Maybe your son would like to have their team filmed with my set up for next year? Here is an example of the video from MIT's launch.

[video=vimeo;224983471]https://vimeo.com/224983471[/video]

Last edited:
Doug,

Sorry should have said my students instead of kids. I am the advisor for the Ohio State team. From what they told me, there was some press at the event and they were following the teams from the "elite" schools. Namely, MIT and Stanford. That is what I meant, sorry for the confusion.

All that being said, they really need to get better at promoting themselves including their web presence, video and photos. They get so hung up on the project they tend to overlook this. No bucks no Buck Rogers sort of thing.

We are starting on next years project as we speak, I will discuss using your service next year if you are going to be there again. Thanks for the link.

Todd

Back