The most beautiful jet fighter ever made

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B-1 Bomber Pilot Prep & Takeoff - Inside The Bone

[video=youtube;kpzPz65Wqf0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpzPz65Wqf0[/video]

[video=youtube;OqG-sYbdZaQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqG-sYbdZaQ[/video]

Nice, recent Canadian news coverage about the B-52:

[video=youtube;nJvUv4scJNU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJvUv4scJNU[/video]

91W3HNxuZ2L.jpg

Just had a strange thought. I was responsible for the dept. inventory when I worked at OU. I could see all of the OU inventory on record (at that time), from the rifles used by the campus SWAT team to the aircraft at the flight school, and every typewriter and computer in between. We followed the National Stock Number classification system. Looks like the NATO classification system is similar, including a code for country of origin. All of these aircraft had an inventory control number, starting with 1515 - Aircraft, Fixed Wing. Space vehicles start with 1810. Nuclear bombs start with 1105. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NATO_Supply_Classification_Groups

Just had a strange thought. I was responsible for the dept. inventory when I worked at OU. I could see all of the OU inventory on record (at that time), from the rifles used by the campus SWAT team to the aircraft at the flight school, and every typewriter and computer in between. We followed the National Stock Number classification system. Looks like the NATO classification system is similar, including a code for country of origin. All of these aircraft had an inventory control number, starting with 1515 - Aircraft, Fixed Wing. Space vehicles start with 1810. Nuclear bombs start with 1105. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_NATO_Supply_Classification_Groups

I was only half paying attention while skimming your post and ended up thinking: "Who the Heck let OU have a nuclear weapon??"

Had to go back and reread after that lol

Way too cool...
A friend that flies rockets these days ( when he has time )
used to fly the refueling boom on a KC 135 refueling tanker..
I thought thats just so cool...

Teddy

F-22 'DNA': Why Lockheed Martin's New F-16 Block 70 Could Be Truly Deadly

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...new-f-16-block-70-could-be-truly-deadly-29842

Lockheed Martin has good reason to be optimistic about securing further F-16 sales. The Block 70 version of the venerable F-16 is a capable warplane by any measure and draws much of its technology from its more advanced F-35 stablemate. But while the F-35 is a much more advanced and capable warplane than any version of the F-16, not every country needs a Joint Strike Fighter or is even cleared to receive the stealth fighter. In those situations, the F-16 Block 70 might be the most capable fighter aircraft available to those U.S. allies.

At the core of the F-16 Block 70 is the Northrop Grumman APG-83 Active Electronically Scanned Array radar , which is based on technology leveraged from the F-22 Raptor and the F-35 and can track more than 20 targets simultaneously. The radar can also generate 1ft resolution synthetic aperture radar maps and has a range greater than 160 nautical miles against ground targets.
The jet also has a new state of the art electronic warfare system.

The Block 70 jet features a modernized cockpit with a new Center Pedestal Display (CPD) that provides tactical imagery on a high-resolution 6”x 8” screen. The new display will allow pilots to take full advantage of the Block 70’s new sensors.
The cockpit also has provisions for the Joint Helmet Mounted Cueing System II (JHMCS II) display, which lets pilot take full advantage of the Raytheon AIM-9X Sidewinder. Further, a new automatic ground collision avoidance system helps to prevent pilots from crashing the aircraft.

The F-16V has an upgraded airframe with an extended structural service life of 12,000 hours and can carry conformal fuel tanks.
To push the aircraft around the sky, Lockheed says that the new Block 70 jet features an “advanced engine.” While Lockheed Martin did not specify which engine, given the Block 70 designation, the aircraft will most likely be powered by a General Electric F110-GE-132 rated at 32,500 lbf (144 kN) of afterburning thrust.

Lockheed Martin also boasts about the F-16V’s capability to carry a vast arsenal of weapons.

“Lockheed Martin has more than 36 years of weapon integration experience with the F-16,” the company states. “No other organization can match this weapons integration experience. In concert with the U.S. Air Force and multiple F-16 Foreign Military Sales customers, Lockheed Martin has certified more than 3,300 carriage and release configurations for greater than 180 weapon and store types. Our experience as a weapon integrator has enabled the F-16 to be one of the most versatile multirole fighters ever.”

The F-16 will still be flying for decades to come. There are still 3,000 operational F-16s are flying around the world with more than 25 different air forces. At least jets will have to be upgraded to the Block 70 standard as time goes on. The future is still bright for the F-16.

file.php

that's pretty cool video. I like the vapor trails coming off the strakes, always impressed by that. But you can also see the leading edges move as he makes his turns & such..

More cool photos recently found of military aviation:

Dn9YEj_XsAAE5dv.jpg

First image below was taken on British carrier HMS Queen Elizabeth:

Doju6yHUwAArOtv.jpg

Docrzg7XgAYK6m8.jpg

DoX1BIyXcAAFOxM.jpg

Lt. Col. Robin T. Sandifer, an A-10 Thunderbolt II instructor pilot with the 47th Fighter Squadron, poses with the 5,000 flight hours patch in front of an A-10 at @DMAFB, Sept. 21, 2018:

Docj0GUVsAAZa0L.jpg

The Blackbird gets my vote not only for its design but the technology behind it.

There's a vid on Netflix now titled "Last Flight of the Vulcan Bomber", that made me think of this thread.

When I was TDY at Offut in the '70's they had visiting Vulcans there. We were driving around the end of the runway when one took off right overhead. The term 'aluminum overcast' has been applied to a lot of different airplanes but it really sticks to the Vulcan.

Vulcan.jpg

perhaps the US military ought to have this bird in the fleet.
Rex

Attachments

• f12-10.jpg
    f12-10.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 97
  • YF-12A.jpg
    YF-12A.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 95
Back