Full-scale Iris sounding rocket (NASA, 1960s). Anyone ever built one?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bat-mite

Rocketeer in MD
Reaction score
I'm inspired by the one sitting outside Goddard Space Flight Center's Visitor Center. A hair under 20' long, 12" diameter. If there's one out there, I'd like to see it.

Oh, then not full-scale.

Here is one of the four fins from my full scale . They are made from 1 inch blue foam board hot wired to shape . The orange is 1/4 inch oak . There is 3 layers of 5.5 oz glass covering everything . The fin tabs are full length and have not been cut down yet . Still trying to decide on the final motor mount configuration .

Eric

Edit . the pink line is a 12 inch ruler .

IMG_20160101_121054.jpg

IMG_20160101_121042.jpg

Here is one of the four fins from my full scale . They are made from 1 inch blue foam board hot wired to shape . The orange is 1/4 inch oak . There is 3 layers of 5.5 oz glass covering everything . The fin tabs are full length and have not been cut down yet . Still trying to decide on the final motor mount configuration .

Eric

Edit . the pink line is a 12 inch ruler .

Cool. Are you doing a build thread?

I love the look of the IRIS. 1/2 or 3/4 scale is a much more manageable size, IMO. I have been amassing parts for a 1/2 scale. The nosecone appears from the drawings to be a 6:1 ogive, which isn't readily available commercially. Of course, you can fudge it with your paint scheme and it doesn't look at all terrible.

I just don't have the space or muscle to deal with a 20' rocket. Propulsion becomes a challenge as well. Of course, there is always the notion of a team project, which can be fun.

I say gofer it. ;)

--Lance.

ULTRA-light is right!!! Wow!

The main structure of the rocket is comprised of hot wired blue foam with a final wall thickness of one inch . The OD of the tube is 12 inch with a ID of 10 inches . I used a single 3 inch thick 4x8 sheet for every 8 feet of airframe . 3 sheets for the entire rocket. Two layers of 5ish oz S glass covers the rocket . The nose cone is layer tapered from two layers up to 4 at the tip . The fins each have 3 layers. Each fin is right around 500 grams before trimming , should be down below 400 when all trimmed to the final size . There is far to much to try and describe via typing without pictures to go along .

Eric

PS , yes there is a booster being built as well . The booster will be launched on 7 Loki I405s staging to a Loki K350 and 4 outboard 38's.

Back