I can't put my sock on ------hangar nine iron sock

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BABAR

Builds Rockets for NASA
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am going to try using monocote to cover the rotors and fins on a helicopter Rocket.

OK so I went all out and bought the hangar nine heat sealing iron and went ahead and got the standard hangar nine ceiling iron sock. The sock comes completely threaded or hemmed around and there is no hole or purse string I can pull the two sides apart so I know it's hollow or open in the middle

do I cut a hole or am I missing something ?IMG_0197.jpgIMG_0196.jpgIMG_0195.jpgIMG_0194.jpg

I have done numerous planes with Monokote & Ultracote (Which I prefer, BTW).

The sock isn't really necessary for the few pieces you're doing. And you'll find it gets in the way, robs heat of the iron, make temp changes hard, etc.. (I personally never use one..)

First off, the tip of the iron, the point part goes into the point part of the iron (which I assume you've figure out!) The back part, the heel part of the sock in pic 2 is on the wrong side, flip it up / over. The sock should be about a 1/4" all around the base of the iron. Once the sock is on the iron, pull those two strings at the heel part to cinch it tight against the iron, and tie off. Some people pull it up & tie it around the handle

https://www.hangar-9.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=HAN141

Start off with low heat to set the glue on the pieces you're covering. remember to pull out any wrinkles. Then use a higher heat to seal & shrink it down. Have a few new / sharp blades handy. Monokote dulls blades quickly!

That's my problem, the sock is hemmed all the way around. There was is no hole

Think of it more like a fitted sheet for the bed, rather than a sock. The iron doesn't go inside of it. Lay the "sock" flat, set the iron on top of it, with the toe of the iron to the pointed end of the "sock". The draw strings sewn into it hold the material up over the edge of the iron like a fitted sheet (or shower cap if you prefer). Tie the ends of the string around the handle to keep it tight.

You will eventually get it using the advice above. However, for the future, be aware the Top Flite Hot Sock (TOPR2175) is designed like you wanted. The string is in a canal and it tightens the sock around the iron when you tighten the string.

look at the pic in the link I've attached, as yo can see, it fits only on the bottom, the 'shoe' of the iron..

And, as mentioned, you'll probably find it's a PITA!!

No body got it..
He got an iron sock that was inadvertently hemmed all the way around..
There is no hole in it to put the iron..
BABAR,, either cut a slit in it so you can insert the iron,,
( and make it a small slit so the iron won't come out on it's own because now you don't have the cinch strings ) ..
or send it back to where you got it from for a replacement..

Teddy

They're supposed to be hemmed all the way around. It's not a sock in the traditional sense, as you would put on your foot (stick foot in a tube, in a hole) but a sewn fabric 'shoe' that the iron is placed into, and the draw strings pulled tight to cinch it onto the base of the iron.. it's more of a "shoe" than a sock.. A 'draw string bag' if you would..

Have you tried to put the heel of the iron against the back part of the sock, then pulled on the strings to cinch it up & onto the iron?

Try this: Put the sock down on a flat surface witheh stings / folded part upwards.. Place the iron onto the sock, aligning the heel of the iron against the heel part of the sock (you should have the sock on the flat surface, and the iron on top of the sock, on the flat surface). pull on the strings (don't lift the iron off the sock, off the flat surface). The outer edge of the sock, it's perimeter, should come together, and collapse / tighten / gather / cinch up on the iron.. it may need a bit of coaxing to come up the sides of the iron.. Then , tie off when tight.

And, as mentioned, they're a PITA!! I never use one.

Here is a photo that clearly shows how I attempted to explain it earlier:
61BkagKJMuL__SL1000_.jpg

Been covering airplanes for 30 years never much cared for those socks. What I have used is baby socks seems to work much better in my experience. You can always make a slit in the sock to get to the temp control.

Mike

As far as socks goes...my wife has to put mine on.
Back won't let me bend that low.
It's a pain when she goes to visit her family.
I live in slippers.

Woody, You tried anything along the lines of this: https://www.arthritissupplies.com/easy-on-off-sock-aid-kit.html
Might help you though if it will make your wife feel bad she's been put out of a job then perhaps you should avoid getting one. I don't know how well they work. If you can't bend over to put it on the floor might be hard for you to do solo. Just
a thought, Kurt

Woody, You tried anything along the lines of this: https://www.arthritissupplies.com/easy-on-off-sock-aid-kit.html
Might help you though if it will make your wife feel bad she's been put out of a job then perhaps you should avoid getting one. I don't know how well they work. If you can't bend over to put it on the floor might be hard for you to do solo. Just
a thought, Kurt

My wife has MS and I got her this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U9TWCXU/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
It's okay, not great, but that's because her feet are much smaller than the sock aid. For a man I think this would work much better.

Steve Shannon

Last edited by a moderator:
Back