Kits you have built more than once

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimn

Reaction score
Talking about rockets you liked so much that after the first one was no longer fliable you built a replacment.

For me:

Currently building a second PML Callisto

Also rebuilt

LOC:
Minie Magg
I-Roc

Estes:
Eliminator
Stormcaster
Mongoose
CC Exprees

Applewhite
Super cinco

Estes Alpha and Alpha 3 - a few of each over the years.

Loc Graduator- first lost to a very tall tree, 2nd building now.

Loc 4. First was my L1 cert rocket. Lost to a Pond/Lake at Bong. 2nd has become an ongoing project to see how long, and how many repairs I can do before it is lost.

Big Bertha, I'd say 7 or so.
Alpha's, varying in design: at least 10
Wizards, currently varying sizes from BT-5 thru BT-80
Starship Vega
M-104 Patriot, various Engine Mounts.
Bull Pup 12D
Viking
Probably more I've forgotten over the years.

At least 4 Alpha III, 4 NASA Pegasus (including a BT70 upscale), at least 6 Wizards and 3 Quest Novia, 3 Mean Machine (long story...) 2 Leviathan, 3 Stormcaster, 3 SR-71, and a whole bunch I'm forgetting... 😁

Chris

Here's a few that come to mind:

Update - Forgot that Estes once had a program in the late 1970's and early 80's for selected builders to assemble kits for Estes, to be used by hobby shops or others who needed a built rocket. I did that a few times. Including IIRC 24, possibly 36, Maxi-Alpha 3's and some kits I never built for myself. So, that is a technicality since the spirit of this should be kits built for one's own reasons, not "for hire" (payment was Estes Merchandise certificates).

MPC Pioneer-1 (lost first one). MPC MoonGo (first one burned up on the pad). Probably some other duplicated MPC kits from my early days.

Estes Interceptor (second one was in a model display case in my High School Air Force JR ROTC classroom.... someone stole it).

1/45 Little Joe-II (Centuri's in 1975, very badly beaten-up but still have it in storage. Estes overhauled re-release in 2016).

I had a lot of Centuri kits (1/100 Little Joe was my first non-MPC kit , 5th overall, once I got into the hobby for real) but other than the 1/45 kit can't think of an example right now of any that I built more than one of.

update to above - Centuri 1/35 Mercury Redstone, at least twice.

Estes Goblin

Estes SkyDart glider (at least two kits, not including the 2X RC scale-up)

MPC Flat Cat glider

MPC Delta Katt glider (Not including a 2.5 or 3X scale-up)

Estes Falcon glider (two, plus 2.5X scale-up)

Estes Astron Space Plane* - (* never built the actual kit. In 2008 built 2X and also a 4X Scale-up R/C models. 2X was an R/C test prototype for the 4X)

Noticing a theme here about gliders? :) Also as I got better at designing my own gliders, I did less and less glider kits. Indeed my first Falcon never worked (dived on flight 1, shredded flight 2), and the second Falcon was built in 2016 along with the 2.5X scale-up for R/C)

Several Vector Aero Stingray R/C Rocket Gliders from 1996 to 2000 or so (Composite wing models that I did not have the equipment/skills at the time to make my own wings. Now I do).

1996-WSMC-Stingray.jpg

Last edited:
For me, not so many:

Estes Fat Boy, 3 (none stock)
Estes Big Daddy, 3 (none stock)
Estes SSI, 3 (one stock, the rest repurposed)
Semroc/Estes V2, 5(two Estes in the 70's, three Semroc in the 2000's)
North Coast Big Brute, 2(original and one rebuild after the first lawndarted)
Estes Mega Mosquito, 2 (none stock)

My most often replaced would definitely be the Estes Wac Corporal. The latest is a not-quite-finished clone (Still needs paint).

When I was a kid that was the one I always had to have in the fleet. I had a lot of Alphas and Alpha IIIs as well, but when a WAC was lost or retired it was replaced as soon as possible.

I might have one or a dozen Optimas.....

25720252640_45667073a6.jpg
5801257678_78b5e4ff87.jpg
5802877980_11e1acdf1c.jpg

7253489402_176ac08a8a.jpg
7244560170_edb6cd64bb.jpg

I have parts for 2 more clones.....one a bit wild-
8042246160_8356fdbf69.jpg

And then a NIB Optima, and NIB Shadow I'm also planning to build. And a SEMROC BT 50 version. Some day....a fiberglass one will be built.

I also have a thing for the Pheonix kit.

5959256585_4a1e800830.jpg
9063360763_26930a5e48.jpg
9063358011_3d0d08b5ab.jpg

Last edited:
4 Crossfires because they tend to disappear.
2 Leviathans
2 Ventris
2 magicians.

So far I've only built replacements

Dr. Zooch Space Shuttle - at least 4 of them, only the first one stock

Mega Mosquito - about 5. Got a few and didn't paint them so I could lose them with E motors and not care. Hadn't lost a single one after making that decision.

Red Max

Mini Max

Wildchild

I liked the Wildchild so much that I built the second one before flying the first one. Both get flown a lot.

6 SpaceCowboys of various sizes.

5 Punishers. 3 of the 3inch. 1- 4inch. 1 SuperSport.

4 Ultimate Wildmans

3 Gizmo's

4 Ultimate Endeavors'

Mega Mosquito - about 5. Got a few and didn't paint them so I could lose them with E motors and not care. Hadn't lost a single one after making that decision.

Two girls just lost their twin Big Daddys (pink fins green body/green fins pink body) to a double E9 fail when drag racing. It was heartbreaking and awesome at the same time.

Two girls just lost their twin Big Daddys (pink fins green body/green fins pink body) to a double E9 fail when drag racing. It was heartbreaking and awesome at the same time.

Oooh, sorry to hear that. I meant lose because they went too high and floated away, got caught in a tree, powerline, etc. Didn't think about the E9 issue - but that's a definite thing.

Hopefully they'll enjoy building replacements!!!

George's post reminded me that I built so many Phoenixes back in the day for the Estes Built-Up Program (probably a couple of dozen) that I promised myself I wouldn't build any more. So far, so good on that, but I'm weakening...So many acres of balsa though...

I'm presuming cloning is OK... As such, I'd say a number of mine are rebuilds (even if the first wasn't retired).

Way back when, I received an Estes "Designers Special" for Christmas one year, so I didn't built a lot of kit models. In the last year though I've built two Baby Bertha's, two Big Daddy's, two Hi-Flyer's, and two Goblin's, all due to CATO or loss. I also have two Sprint XL's built and one still in kit form just because I really like them, and they were on sale.

I still have two Sky Dart kits, a Trajector that I need to finish soon as well as two more kits (the third one was supposed to be a Mammoth, but Estes messed up the order - not complaining though) because they were on sale :wink:. And I still want to upscale the Estes Guardian for mid-power.

Estes Big Daddy 38mm - died when I800 blew nozzle
Estes Big Daddy 3x 24mm cluster - still flying
Estes Big Daddy 54mm - in current build pile at about 75% ready
Estes Big Daddy 24mm - unopened - may build it stock

I have built two Estes Sentinels, one an original I purchased decades ago, one I kit bashed from a Vagabond.
Now I'm building two upscale versions with 2.6" body tubes, about 43 inches tall. The original is a 1.6" body tube.
Top photo is the 2.6" version mocked up nothing glued together yet
Bottom is the 1.6" version .sentinel 2.6.jpg
Sentinels1_2.jpg

I think just two K-36 kits, unless you include scratch built clones, up scales and down scales.

Back