Raven 2 problem

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I am running Windows 8.1

I have connected my Raven 2 to the PC USB port

I wanted to check the settings - I keep getting a message that a Raven is not connected.
I tried connecting after the raven was powered on and connected with the raven off then turned it on

Suggestions?
Thanks
Les

I am running Windows 8.1

I have connected my Raven 2 to the PC USB port

I wanted to check the settings - I keep getting a message that a Raven is not connected.
I tried connecting after the raven was powered on and connected with the raven off then turned it on

Suggestions?
Thanks
Les

Sounds like a USB port issue on the PC or Raven. I would try another USB cable and also another PC. Check whether the Raven USB connection is recognised in the PC's Device Manager.

Sounds like a USB port issue on the PC or Raven. I would try another USB cable and also another PC. Check whether the Raven USB connection is recognised in the PC's Device Manager.

I will try that. I have used the USB port to download pix from my camera so I am confident the actual USB port works
I will have to get another cable to try.

Have you tried re-installing the USB driver?

I re-installed the FIP driver. Maybe I'm wrong, but I am assuming if the USB port can talk to my camera and a thumb drive that the USB port itself is functional

I found a message "Unknown USB Device Device Descriptor Request Failed"

Windows has stopped the device because it has reported problems (Code 43). Request for the USB device descriptor failed

Not sure what other problems may exist but not sure I want to try flying it until I know it is working enough to talk.

It does appear to come up and beeps out, but....

There is a real possibility that the Raven's USB port is faulty. I have had 2 altimeters (not Ravens) in the past that have had this issue unfortunately. They both performed fine as altimeters, but there was no connection with their USB port. Could be worth contacting the vendor or Featherweight. I had one altimeter replaced free of charge due to a faulty USB chip on a new altimeter.

The most reliable way to get the connection is to power up your Raven, fire up the Featherweight Interface Program (FIP), and then plug in the USB. The FIP is always scanning the USB ports to see when something gets plugged in.

But it sounds like that was one of the things you tried already, so my guess is that the USB connector or interface chip is damaged. You can send it back for me to check out. I'm traveling a lot for my day job so my availability to do repairs is limited and it could take a few weeks, but you can send it to:

Featherweight Altimeters
846 Sutter Ave
Palo Alto, CA 94303

Back