Web of lines/scratches on surface of 75mm CTI case, anything to worry about?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocketsam2016

Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything like this before? I purchased this 3G 75mm never-flown case from another flyer as part of a larger purchase of used 75mm hardware. This case was bought new by them a few years ago, looked at once, then stored back in the original packaging until I bought it off of them. When I received it, I noticed that the case surface has a web of what looks like scratches in the anodized layer (but I don't really know what I'm talking about...). The web is uniform over the entire case. I got another 75mm case in the order that has flown but looks normal to me.
IMG_20170610_220902.jpg

I emailed CTI a couple of weeks ago and haven't gotten a response. I got a good deal on this purchase so I'd love to just keep everything :), I trust that the seller had not noticed this and is operating in good faith, and I understand that I'm buying not-new hardware, so I just want to make sure this isn't a major problem.

Its not very pretty to look at but shouldn't effect the performance of the case since anodize isn't structural. If its on the inside too you probably just want to make sure you clean it extra well after firing. Its due to a difference in thermal expansion coefficients between the aluminum case and the anodize layer. Either CTI made the anodize layer too thick or they sealed the anodize incorrectly or the case got too hot some time since it was anodized. some more info here https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19950025269.pdf https://aluminumsurface.blogspot.com/2009/06/crazing-defects-cracks-in-anodic-layer.html

Sorry to say ... there have been more "mistakes" coming out of CTI since the fire. Wish we knew more about what is going on up there.

No Worries Mate!!

I have some that way, they perform just fine.
Just imperfection in surface, no bearing on structural integrality.

Sorry to say ... there have been more "mistakes" coming out of CTI since the fire.
According to the OP this case is a few years old, so whatever the explanation is, that isn't it.

Back