Quick question: Aeropack 54mm Retainer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zauskycop

Reaction score
Probably a silly simple question, so I apologize

Getting ready to install this on my Wildman MMT, and noticed that there is an additional polished ring included with the retainer. The retainer fits the MMT very loosely mounted normally so I'm GUESSING that this gets epoxied to the MMT first, then the retainer over it? Checking this before jumping into the deep end...

Thanks!

correct. the polished ring gets epoxied to the motor mount tube and the retainer over that. the ring is a spacer. mine had a very tight fit of all three items, to the point that I needed to use a soft blow hammer to get the retainer into position.
Rex

you're welcome. will you be coming out to the Bong this weekend?
Rex

I want to but I'm working overtime...week 10 in a row. Really putting a crimp on the rocket season :(

I want to but I'm working overtime...week 10 in a row. Really putting a crimp on the rocket season :(

Ah, but the OT buys really cool rocket toys!!! :wink:
You working Sunday too? I'm thinking of heading up there Sunday. Gotta work Saturday. Maybe I'll finally get those motor cases from Glen. :facepalm:
Hey Glen, wanna drag race Cool Spools?

OK, quick question here, as I'm about to assemble an aeropack 54mm retainer to a Reaper 3. I ordered an RA54P, which is a perfect fit once the motor tube is sanded. It's a 2 part, retainer and ring.

What is this other ring, a 3rd part, that you mentioned? I double checked the aeropack web page, and it says a 2 part assembly. Is there something that I'm missing?

OK, quick question here, as I'm about to assemble an aeropack 54mm retainer to a Reaper 3. I ordered an RA54P, which is a perfect fit once the motor tube is sanded. It's a 2 part, retainer and ring.

What is this other ring, a 3rd part, that you mentioned? I double checked the aeropack web page, and it says a 2 part assembly. Is there something that I'm missing?

That's a spacer, used for fitting to a slightly different sized tube. If yours fits without it you don't need it.

Steve Shannon

That's a spacer, used for fitting to a slightly different sized tube. If yours fits without it you don't need it.

Steve Shannon

I never got it. In fact, looking through aeropacks web site, only the tailcones are 3 part systems that include the adapter ring.

Once upon a time they only made two sizes, P and L for the PML phenolic motor mount tubing or the thinner paper LOC tubing. Then manufacturers started selling different sizes of fiberglass and they had to accommodate it without machining different sized retainer bodies . Here's their size chart. I "think" that you only get the spacers if you order the retainer for the thin wall fiberglass tubing, but I'm not sure. I still only get the two parts because I still use the PML phenolic sized tubing.

https://aeropack.net/webstore/partnumbers.asp

Steve Shannon

Yeah, the 54L and P. I have one each on my bench top right now, no third ring. I also have a tailcone assembly, which has a totally different collar that goes on the motor mount tube, which is deeper on both ends and requires an adapter ring for the MOTOR only to take up the extra space in the collar.

I'm wondering what the ring that the OP referred to and that RexR says goes on the tube?

Yeah, the 54L and P. I have one each on my bench top right now, no third ring. I also have a tailcone assembly, which has a totally different collar that goes on the motor mount tube, which is deeper on both ends and requires an adapter ring for the MOTOR only to take up the extra space in the collar.

I'm wondering what the ring that the OP referred to and that RexR says goes on the tube?

This

54 Retainer A.jpg54 Retainer B.jpg

I believe that I can clear up part of the mystery. the spacer is not an aero pack part, it is a Wildman part. when Tim switched over to thin wall motor tubes he started a)making b)having the spacer machined so as to get the proper fit and included the new part with AP retainers. to my knowledge this spacer only comes w/ retainers purchased from Tim.
Rex

I believe that I can clear up part of the mystery. the spacer is not an aero pack part, it is a Wildman part. when Tim switched over to thin wall motor tubes he started a)making b)having the spacer machined so as to get the proper fit and included the new part with AP retainers. to my knowledge this spacer only comes w/ retainers purchased from Tim.
Rex

Cool, that makes sense.

Rex

Thanks! That does clear that up. I see where Aeropack has retainer bodies for 29mm thin Wildman tubing, but nothing similar for the 54.

Steve Shannon

Back