USS Fitzgerald Collision

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's been a fair amount of information about the differences between the operation of merchant ships and Naval vessels imparted within this thread which you seem to be ignoring in order to further your conspiracy agenda.

They need to develop a TCAS system for ships! Except foreign ships won't put it on.

There should be 3 different ways to prevent this. First, an automatic radar. Clearly someone was not watching the scope.

It should actually turn the ship if needed. If the computer junk works so well on self driving cars, then use it on billion dollar
missile ships and aircraft carriers. If everyone is sleeping it will still work!

Yes I read them, as I said, if the military implemented a TCAS system for its ships, other nations, especially merchant marine probably would not have it. Like how we have our IFF and the Russians and Chinese don't. They have their own version, which is not compatible. Heck, both sides are always shutting off their transponders in shady situations, anyway. Remember flight 007?

THIS, of all things, I would not claim was a conspiracy. Someone else said the cargo ship targeted the missile ship.

Wait a minute, just saw this:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u...-container-ship-captain/ar-BBDf5l6?li=BBnbfcL

Probably lying. The cargo did make a weird hook turn, very odd. They caused it, clearly. But someone on both ships should have been watching the radar scope. Clearly human error.

A collision at sea isn't caused by the ship taking evasive action. What would have happened if it hadn't made that turn? Probably much worse. Beyond that, the investigation(s) have access to information we don't and I expect they will parse blame. Until then, speculation does nothing but fuel the tin foil hat brigade.

Last edited:
The cargo did make a weird hook turn, very odd. They caused it, clearly. But someone on both ships should have been watching the radar scope. Clearly human error.

What HOOK turn?

418F602700000578-4617742-image-a-9_1497899975460.jpg

If you mean the slight course adjustment from west-east to vector a bit north, that was a course change they needed to do to get to the destination after passing the island at upper right. If you mean the sharp vector to the southwest after the collision..... the laws of physics says the result of such a T-Bone collision (with the Fitzgerald's momentum) would push the bow of the cargo ship to the right, and more parallel to the course that the Fitzgerald was on.

After the collision, the cargo ship resumed the original course for awhile, then turned around as below:

418F7CDB00000578-4617742-image-a-10_1497900073126.jpg

This was all blown up by conspiracists who saw the original track and 2:20 AM listed as the time of the collision, which was wrong. It was 1:30 AM, the time of the collision as in the first image. The destroyer's com system was destroyed in the crash and the crew was apparently so busy trying to save the ship that calling out (using satellite phones) was of lower priority.

Unfortunately we'll probably end up seeing "Fitzgerald Truthers" become a thing, right next to 911 was an inside job, Moon Hoaxers, and Flat Earthers.

Last edited:
Somebody made a hairpin turn, I thought it was the freighter. Also thought it was coming from the left, I guess it

came from the right. Where is the missile ship track? There should be 2 different colors on that picture. They are conspiring

to confuse me! :tongue:

Somebody made a hairpin turn, I thought it was the freighter. Also thought it was coming from the left, I guess it came from the right. Where is the missile ship track? There should be 2 different colors on that picture. They are conspiring to confuse me! :tongue:

The tracks shown are from the commercial ship tracking system. Military ships do not use it, for obvious reasons. The only ones who are supposed to know the Fitzgerald's course real-time is the crew, and certain individuals in the US Navy/Pentagon.

Investigation has not gotten anywhere near the point of the US Navy releasing the course of the Fitzgerald, and they may be reluctant to do so.

Freighter made a hairpin turn long after the collision, to go back from East to West to try to return to the point of the collision. But the conspiracists interpreted that turn long after the collision as a turn for "Attack".

Look can we all agree this is a false flag and the us government is just trying to start another war? the fitzgerald isn't even a real ship. The Clintons had the ship sunk and the entire crew "committed suicide" after someone accidentally typed in the wrong email address and found hilary's deleted emails.

Pretty sure the russians are somehow involved. I need to buy stock in tin foil.... remember kids, get the real tin stuff. Al foil won't work.

Look can we all agree this is a false flag and the us government is just trying to start another war? the fitzgerald isn't even a real ship. The Clintons had the ship sunk and the entire crew "committed suicide" after someone accidentally typed in the wrong email address and found hilary's deleted emails.

Pretty sure the russians are somehow involved. I need to buy stock in tin foil.... remember kids, get the real tin stuff. Al foil won't work.

dont forget north korea took malaysia flight 370, elvis is alive and working at graceland,paul is dead,katy perry is jonbenet ramsey,and ted cruz is the zodiac killer.:wink:

I think Trump should analyze this and suggest improvements to the safety system.

He already decided that the "digital" electromagnetic catapult is wrong and too expensive for those new giant targets,

I mean carriers! The Art of the Deal can solve any problem. :lol: Keep the steam machine.

Actually the Navy is pretty good at fixing stuff. The torpedoes in WW2 did not work right for the first 2 years, only if hit straight on, at right angles. Finally figured out the super secret fuze was no good, the firing pin was binding when hit occurred, it was improved, and then enemy ships were lost regularly.

2 of our subs were hit by their own circling torpedoes. The fix was adding an extra gyro whose job was to prevent circling, or shut it off. That is still used to this day.

Somebody made a hairpin turn, I thought it was the freighter. Also thought it was coming from the left, I guess it

came from the right. Where is the missile ship track? There should be 2 different colors on that picture. They are conspiring

to confuse me! :tongue:

You're correct that the container ship was coming from the left and made a hairpin turn. What is it you're seeing that convinces you it was a deliberate attack?

It's not all sarcasm, some of it is VERY true:

You HAVE to use real tin foil for your hat, the aluminum stuff doesn't work. Only posers use aluminum...

Exact: I did not say it was deliberate. That was someone else. I say people were not doing their jobs, on both ships.

Sort of like an airliner pilot flying on autopilot. They read mags and take naps. Need automatic radar steering.

Foil hats do not provide full protection from alien threats.

This expert shows how to make an EMP shield out of a garbage can. You put your electronics in it before the blast.

oops, but if the power and data networks are destroyed, you better have batteries, satcoms, and a ham radio in there too!
:headbang: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjSuWopLUa0&feature=youtu.be

Exact: I did not say it was deliberate. That was someone else. I say people were not doing their jobs, on both ships.

Sort of like an airliner pilot flying on autopilot. They read mags and take naps. Need automatic radar steering.

My apologies. I stand corrected.

Tin foil and lead hats sound like they'd get pretty warm, present weather considering. What size and how many vent holes could one drill into the hat before they allow the brain control waives through? (Make sure you take the hat off BEFORE drilling, though. Safety first!)

Tin foil and lead hats sound like they'd get pretty warm, present weather considering. What size and how many vent holes could one drill into the hat before they allow the brain control waives through? (Make sure you take the hat off BEFORE drilling, though. Safety first!)

Nay. Carve some channels up top like a heat sink and get a fan blowing instead.

Best write-up so far of what happened, explains a lot:

https://news.usni.org/2017/06/21/in...for-an-hour-before-distress-call-reached-help

tl;dr - big ship was on autopilot and crew was likely not even on the bridge. Boats collided. Collision knocked out communications on navy vessel for an hour until someone got a sat phone working. In the meantime the big ship crew wakes up, realizes they hit something and circles back to see what (the big loop in the radar track), finds the navy boat in distress. Both ships send out a distress call about the same time, an hour after the collision.

Tony

Best write-up so far of what happened, explains a lot:

https://news.usni.org/2017/06/21/in...for-an-hour-before-distress-call-reached-help

tl;dr - big ship was on autopilot and crew was likely not even on the bridge. Boats collided. Collision knocked out communications on navy vessel for an hour until someone got a sat phone working. In the meantime the big ship crew wakes up, realizes they hit something and circles back to see what (the big loop in the radar track), finds the navy boat in distress. Both ships send out a distress call about the same time, an hour after the collision.

Good article, thanks for posting.

Some very interesting comments below it too once you get past some snide cracks. Good stuff both by veteran US Navy members and commercial shipping experts bringing a lot of general things to light I had no idea of.

Back