Watery Bondo problems

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neil_w

OpenRocketeer
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have a tube of Bondo Spot/Glazing putty, which I've used a bit but am by no means expert with. Lately I'm having a major problem, which is that when I open the tube, there's a bunch of really thin, watery stuff at the top, which tends to drip all over the place. I'm having no luck getting to the putty inside. I could try pouring off all the liquid, but presumably that liquid would be best off blended into the putty. I don't see any way to do that, given the metal tube the stuff comes in.

I'm probably going to switch to Tamiya white for many of the jobs I use the Bondo for, but I'd like to understand how to be able to effectively use the tube I have. Can anyone give pointers?

BTW, the tube is probably about 1 year old.

I noticed the same with the new tube of Green Squadron putty I opened recently. Got all over the place as I was not expecting it. Never a problem in the past, but they have changed the packaging and probably the formula. All I can think of is careful massaging of the tube before opening, even if new.

I find it's not really possible to successfully massage a metal tube, which is why I'm kinda left scratching my head here.

I could squeeze the whole tube out into a bowl and mix it up, but not sure what to do with it afterwards (boy that would smell).

I heard Micro say that he stands his tube on the cap ( upside down )so the liquid goes to the bottom of the tube. Since I started doing that, I have pure putty coming out of the hole.

Before opening tube, gently squeeze the sides to expand the tube, in essence creating a vacuum. Then carefully open, pointed up, insert toothpick and stir. Close shake, repeat, use........

Good luck.

I heard Micro say that he stands his tube on the cap ( upside down )so the liquid goes to the bottom of the tube. Since I started doing that, I have pure putty coming out of the hole.

+1 when storing I put it vertical on cap also.Works.

It's the resin, you need it. Need the tube and mix it in.
If you've ever opened a qt. or gal. can of bondo there is resin on the top.
You have to stir it in with a paint stick. It makes the solids blend and helps even hardening throughout your application.

It's the resin, you need it. Need the tube and mix it in.
If you've ever opened a qt. or gal. can of bondo there is resin on the top.
You have to stir it in with a paint stick. It makes the solids blend and helps even hardening throughout your application.

Kneading a lead tube is problematic. 1) you'll never get it all incorporated. 2) Lead tubes will get creased and develop leaks from too much kneading. I have considered transferring it all into another container that can be sealed air tight so it won't dry out and you can stir when necessary, but I have yet to find, or know what would be an adequate container. Storing it the way I mentioned is about the best alternative I know of.

I just experienced this problem last night, and I have orange drip marks on my garage floor to prove it. The tube is sitting upside down right now. Thanks.

Before opening tube, gently squeeze the sides to expand the tube, in essence creating a vacuum. Then carefully open, pointed up, insert toothpick and stir. Close shake, repeat, use........
Good luck.

This is what I do...

This is what I'm doing from now on.

I agree, I'm storing cap down going forward, including my JB Weld. For some reason my last batch of JBW the black component is separating and the few batches I have mixed are staying soft for a very long time.

I flipped my tube upside down, and a couple of days later it's at least a little better. Presumably it'll take some time for the liquid to reabsorb and rise back to the top.

But I got pretty annoyed with it. I was using a toothpick to apply it, and due to some fancy acrobatics the toothpick managed to fly across the workbench and bounce off my shirt. I kid you not, it was surreal. *Fortunately*, I wasn't wearing a good shirt, because that stuff really stains.

In the future I think I'm gonna try the Tamiya white putty, which I can pick up in Hobby Lobby.

Back