Chute Release Again!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lowpuller

Reaction score
I know this thread has been done, but I'm gonna do it again.

The Chute Release is an awesome little device. I used my several times last weekend on many different rockets and it worked like a charm every time. I really enjoy shooting rockets high, and we have a fairly small field, Chute Release solves that problem.

I also broke down and packed the parachute per Beans recommendation, against the grain of my parachute rigger instinct, but they worked great and opened every time.

I even won our local contest of who could land closest to the pad. I used my Baby Bertha with the Chute Release a little extra dog barf for weight and set the opening at 100. I got lucky with a nice straight flight good ejection, then held my breath as she fell to earth quickly. About 30' off the ground the canopy fully inflated, slowed my rocket down and set it close to the pad. Winner winner, chicken diner!

Thanks again for making a cool device, and backed by great customer service!

Last edited:
i cannot agree more. I use it even when it is not required. It is simple, reliable, and fun!

I did have a situation at my last launch...unrelated to the CR, but affected it. I had some blow-by on a Loki H90 causing deployment a second after ignition and under full boost in a PML BBVb. It appears that the piston struck the CR, separating it from it's casing. I think I found all of the components except for one where the servo connects to the actuator. The electronics are fully functioning!

Fortunately Mr. Allen had a replacement on hand, so my next launch was carrying a brand new CR...this time with a sleeve for a little added protection. I need to contact Mr. Beans to see if remaining components are salvageable.

Great product! If I had a recommendation for future versions, it would be nice to have an audible max output report so there would not be a need to carry my Altimeter3 on every flight. This could reduce the expense of catastrophic failures!

Cheers,
Michael

Couldn't agree more. I love my JLCR! I hear what you're saying about the packing and fighting the old skydive rig packing mentality. I have yet to see any line burn issues. I'm thinking the speeds at which the parachute and lines deploy in rocketry are typically significantly lower​than in skydiving. The friction just doesn't build up enough heat to damage the material.
On the other hand, skydivers don't even blink at the use of rubber bands in holding the canopy bundle together😁

Not only are there lower opening speeds, our shroud lines are much shorter than any skydiving rig, thus do not have the length to build up friction heat as they're pulled across the canopy. Consider: even larger hobby chutes are typically packed in a bag. The ones that the JLCR will typically be used on are the 5' diameter and under market, I'd suspect. Bigger than that, you're approaching the weight associated with motors that require electronics to fly anyways...

Later!

--Coop

I like the added event. With traditional apogee deployment, it's all exciting till the chute pops out, then you watch as it gracefully floats down, hopefully staying on the field.

With the JLCR, you get added excitement. There's the apogee ejection, but then everything tumbles quickly down to wherever you set the Chute Release to let go, and poof! you get another exciting event. There's often cheering when the chute opens, especially if it's set at a particularly low altitude.

I just giggle myself stupid when I realize I got flight data off of a 1.6 diameter LPR rocket zooming to the extreme altitude of 533 feet on a mighty D-12 black powder motor. And yes, that is a dual-deploy profile, courtesy of the Chute Release.

Later!

--Coop
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498495816.272423.jpg

Last edited:
I just giggle myself stupid when I realize I got flight data off of a 1.6 diameter LPR rocket zooming to the extreme altitude of 533 feet on a mighty D-12 black powder motor. And yes, that is a dual-deploy profile, courtesy of the Chute Release.

Is that JL Altimeter 3 data? I might have to get me one of those.
Tim

Yes it is. Had it downloaded to my phone and able to show the RSO by the time I returned from where the rocket had landed. I cracked the case and screen on the next flight... still got data. And on the flight after that.

I used the chute release 5 times, had perfect operation 4 of them. The one where there was an issue, I suspect it had to do with the rubber bands not being small enough to hold sufficient tension on the pin. The folded chute bundle was not bulky enough (BLS-15) to use the recommended bands, and after one shot, I should have replaced them, but didn't. Life and learn.

Later!

--Coop

Back