NASA Astronaut Program Rejection

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djkingsley

Reaction score
I was one of the over 18,000 people to apply for the NASA Astronaut 2017 Program and today I received a rejection letter. I have applied and interviewed with a fair number of companies over the last 35 years, but this rejection almost deserves to be framed and hung in my office next to my Lego Saturn V. :wink:

With a less than 0.7% acceptance rate for 2017, here it is (btw - the next class selection is 4 years away)

NasaRejection.jpg

I would frame it. That's really cool, even if it is technically a rejection. 12 out of 18,000 though. That really is tough odds. Funny thing... my son was just asking me the other day how to become an astronaut. I told him it's really, really tough even if you have everything they're looking for. But so that I didn't crush his dreams, I told him "Who knows, you could be the first one to step on Mars.". His eyes lit up in wonder. You have to be realistic but not let the odds keep you from trying.

The next election is four years away for NASA, maybe he should consider one of the commercial ventures.

Wow is that cool Dennis...
I didn't know you had applied..
Must be a pretty complex application process..
Way cool Dennis..
I knew you were the man..
You be sure to apply again in 4 years..
You wait and see..
We're all going to be looking up saying,,
hey,, that's our buddy up there,, lol...

Teddy

Man, that would be a great thing to hang on the wall. Maybe I'll apply. I am old, out of shape, don't have a PhD and am not a pilot. But I have hands on rocket experience. LOL

There must be some mistake. Did you tell them that have a level 3 NAR certification?

Last edited:
After a few more years in the industry, I should apply just to get one of those letters. (context: I'm still 2" taller than the Raised height cap)

Actually, it never says they rejected you. Did you check the website for your name? You might be one of the 12. :wink: By the way, the acceptance rate is not 0.7%, but 0.07%

Actually, it never says they rejected you. Did you check the website for your name? You might be one of the 12. :wink: By the way, the acceptance rate is not 0.7%, but 0.07%

Your right on both counts. The website does list my application as closed not selected.

Have you ever seen the old Don Knotts movie The Reluctant Astronaut? It would be appropriate to watch given your circumstances.

Too bad you were not chosen, but you can also try again.

Read Mike Massimino's book. He got rejected too.

51ndHDDaBtL._SX331_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Some insight into the process, and how difficult it is to get chosen beyond just the numerical odds. This is not a lottery. And some incredibly talented people never get chosen.

Also the book is just plain fun to read and he is a hell of a guy.

Photo of him below, at left, in JULY 1969, with a homemade astronaut suit and a Snoopy astronaut doll. And decades later (right), in orbit on a shuttle mission, with the very same Snoopy doll (Snoopy a bit worse for age)

news-100416c-lg.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind words, reworking my resume and filling out the application took the better part of 4 days and it was worth it to me. I was pleasantly surprised that my years of engineering experience covered so many of the checkboxes. I don't believe NASA was prepared for the tidal wave of applications they received for this cycle. The bio's I have read on the 12 selected really stand out as exceptional people.

Before framing and displaying it, scan it, copy it, do something for preserving it in case ink fades over decades exposed to light. Well, actually, archive the original and display the copy.

Congratulations on trying and getting considered.

I got one of those in 1991.

Before framing and displaying it, scan it, copy it, do something for preserving it in case ink fades over decades exposed to light. Well, actually, archive the original and display the copy.

I had a friend who had some leaflets from World War II that were dropped on Japanese positions urging them to surrender. With his concurrence I gave them the National Museum of the U.S. Air Force. The museum told me that they would make copies, artificially "age" the copies and put them on display. The originals would be archived and if I ever wanted to see the originals I could stop by their office and ask for access.

I'm guessing that a lot of papers we see in museums are not the originals. Not sure if I agree with that or not.

I'm guessing that a lot of papers we see in museums are not the originals. Not sure if I agree with that or not.

Imagining, forensics, & preservation are all improving all the time. From a purely engineering perspective, I've got to agree with this approach.

Imagining, forensics, & preservation are all improving all the time. From a purely engineering perspective, I've got to agree with this approach.

I understand the need to preserve unique items. But if I can't see the original in a museum, why go to the museum? Especially if I can see a digital copy online. What's the difference between a digital scan or an expertly made copy? Neither is the original. And shouldn't the museum have an obligation to tell people that the items that they are looking at are not originals? OK, this is way off topic from the OP, so I am going to copy this and start a new thread. Do not reply to this post here.

I need to refind my rejection letter form a previous class when I applied. It's still in the house it is in a tote of my stuff in deep storage. I know that more than a few applied multiple times before they get accepted.

Back