Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    23rd July 2011
    Location
    Butte, MT
    Posts
    1,470

    BALLS 26 - September 22-24, 2017

    As an update, the BALLS launch organizers have been monitoring the fluid situation at Black Rock, literally! As you know, the playa has some flooding. Right now it's still too early to make a determination about whether the BALLS launch will proceed; a lot can happen between now and September 22nd. However, they want you to know that they are tracking it and intend to make a decision by August 1st. For the latest in news please see the BALLS website at http://ballslaunch.com.

    Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

  2. #2
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shannon View Post
    ... monitoring the fluid situation at Black Rock...
    A little "dry" humor?

    Jim


  3. #3
    Join Date
    23rd July 2011
    Location
    Butte, MT
    Posts
    1,470
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJarvis50 View Post
    A little "dry" humor?

    Jim
    A pour attempt.
    Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

  4. #4
    Join Date
    8th December 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,759
    Steve, pour... haha... don't give up your day job!

    Tony

  5. #5
    Join Date
    8th December 2009
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    1,759
    I guess it depends on where Balls is actually set up at and where the FAA requires the high altitude pads to set up at. Getting to those locations could be challenging. Attached is a contour map of the playa.

    I did see this post today:
    As of this morning, BLM wrote a letter to FAA and has notified them that the Playa will be shut down the entire month of July (they have had over a dozen or so vehicles get stuck out there - and we're talking monster trucks).

    Tony
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BR contour.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	194.9 KB 
ID:	322254  

  6. #6
    Join Date
    23rd July 2011
    Location
    Butte, MT
    Posts
    1,470
    Quote Originally Posted by tfish View Post
    Steve, pour... haha... don't give up your day job!

    Tony
    Now you tell me…
    Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

  7. #7
    Join Date
    15th February 2009
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    425
    These are recent photos:

    http://www.overlandphotography.us/Th...k-Rock-Desert/

    Tony 'not that Tony'
    why do people put so much stuff in their sigs?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by tfish View Post
    I guess it depends on where Balls is actually set up at and where the FAA requires the high altitude pads to set up at. Getting to those locations could be challenging. Attached is a contour map of the playa.

    I did see this post today:
    As of this morning, BLM wrote a letter to FAA and has notified them that the Playa will be shut down the entire month of July (they have had over a dozen or so vehicles get stuck out there - and we're talking monster trucks).

    Tony
    It does appear to me that the size has gone down considerably since March/April. From the contour map, the depth isn't more than a foot or so at the lowest point. I'm optimistic at this point, as I know how brutally hot it can be there in the summer.

    Jim

  9. #9
    Join Date
    21st January 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,618

  10. #10
    Join Date
    23rd July 2011
    Location
    Butte, MT
    Posts
    1,470
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJarvis50 View Post
    It does appear to me that the size has gone down considerably since March/April. From the contour map, the depth isn't more than a foot or so at the lowest point. I'm optimistic at this point, as I know how brutally hot it can be there in the summer.

    Jim
    A little heat and wind could really make a difference. I'm optimistic also.
    Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

  11. #11
    Join Date
    21st January 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,618
    There are news articles from today stating BurningMan thinks it will be dry enough for their event. They are setting up in early August.

    M

  12. #12
    Join Date
    23rd July 2011
    Location
    Butte, MT
    Posts
    1,470
    Quote Originally Posted by MClark View Post
    There are news articles from today stating BurningMan thinks it will be dry enough for their event. They are setting up in early August.

    M
    Great news!


    Steve Shannon
    Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

  13. #13
    Join Date
    18th January 2009
    Posts
    1,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Shannon View Post
    Great news!


    Steve Shannon
    I would feel much better if it wasn't RAINING there! What sort of a desert is that place, anyway? I hope I don't start losing rockets in stands of tall flowers ....

    Jim

  14. #14
    Join Date
    23rd July 2011
    Location
    Butte, MT
    Posts
    1,470
    Quote Originally Posted by JimJarvis50 View Post
    I would feel much better if it wasn't RAINING there! What sort of a desert is that place, anyway? I hope I don't start losing rockets in stands of tall flowers ....

    Jim
    Yeah, I just saw where Fernley is getting drenched.
    Steve Shannon
    L3CC, TAP, Director, Tripoli Rocketry Association

  15. #15
    Join Date
    21st January 2009
    Location
    Glendale, Arizona
    Posts
    1,618
    In The West the rain is very cyclical, years of rain followed by years of drought.
    It may be wet for the next 30 years.

    M

  16. #16
    Join Date
    18th March 2012
    Location
    Oregon City. OR
    Posts
    2,259
    Quote Originally Posted by MClark View Post
    In The West the rain is very cyclical, years of rain followed by years of drought.
    It may be wet for the next 30 years.

    M
    Hence dry LAKE bed.

    "That Crazy Brit"
    Team SNAFU - Shovel Recovery Specialist
    L3 - TRA 13815 - NAR 87999

Similar Threads

  1. September 23 2017 astronomy event
    By ColumbiaNX01 in forum The Watering Hole
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 7th June 2017, 08:39 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 1st June 2017, 07:42 AM
  3. nvitation to Northern Illinois Rocketry Conference 2017 (NIRCON 2017)
    By GuyNoir in forum Regional or Local Events
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 15th February 2017, 04:00 PM
  4. BALLS 23 September 19-21, 2014
    By MClark in forum National Events
    Replies: 61
    Last Post: 1st October 2014, 03:27 PM
  5. ROC September launch - Saturday 15th September 2013
    By ianwalberg in forum Regional or Local Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12th August 2013, 11:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •