BALLS 26 - September 22-24, 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve Shannon

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
As an update, the BALLS launch organizers have been monitoring the fluid situation at Black Rock, literally! As you know, the playa has some flooding. Right now it's still too early to make a determination about whether the BALLS launch will proceed; a lot can happen between now and September 22nd. However, they want you to know that they are tracking it and intend to make a decision by August 1st. For the latest in news please see the BALLS website at https://ballslaunch.com.

I guess it depends on where Balls is actually set up at and where the FAA requires the high altitude pads to set up at. Getting to those locations could be challenging. Attached is a contour map of the playa.

I did see this post today:
As of this morning, BLM wrote a letter to FAA and has notified them that the Playa will be shut down the entire month of July (they have had over a dozen or so vehicles get stuck out there - and we're talking monster trucks).

Tony

BR contour.jpg

I guess it depends on where Balls is actually set up at and where the FAA requires the high altitude pads to set up at. Getting to those locations could be challenging. Attached is a contour map of the playa.

I did see this post today:
As of this morning, BLM wrote a letter to FAA and has notified them that the Playa will be shut down the entire month of July (they have had over a dozen or so vehicles get stuck out there - and we're talking monster trucks).

Tony

It does appear to me that the size has gone down considerably since March/April. From the contour map, the depth isn't more than a foot or so at the lowest point. I'm optimistic at this point, as I know how brutally hot it can be there in the summer.

Jim

It does appear to me that the size has gone down considerably since March/April. From the contour map, the depth isn't more than a foot or so at the lowest point. I'm optimistic at this point, as I know how brutally hot it can be there in the summer.

Jim

A little heat and wind could really make a difference. I'm optimistic also.

There are news articles from today stating BurningMan thinks it will be dry enough for their event. They are setting up in early August.

M

In The West the rain is very cyclical, years of rain followed by years of drought.
It may be wet for the next 30 years.

M

So, here's how the lake looks at the following times:

- Late April
- Late May
- June 18
- June 27

June 18 was about the minimum so far, but I think melting caused a bit of an increase. Maybe more progress from this point on.

Jim

Lake late April.jpg

Lake late May.jpg

Lake June 18.jpg

Lake late June.jpg

Looking at the above link's sat image the water is now reduced to two pools. A long skinny one (a depressed area due to a road?) and an oval one.
They are surrounded by dark ground, likely mud.
Burning man site says they are proceeding as a go.

M

Adding a pic to the above post.
Capture.jpg

Looking at the above link's sat image the water is now reduced to two pools. A long skinny one (a depressed area due to a road?) and an oval one.
They are surrounded by dark ground, likely mud.
Burning man site says they are proceeding as a go.

M

This is the latest from the BALLS site https://www.ballslaunch.com
PLAYA UPDATE AUGUST 1st, 2017
We promised an announcement August 1st as to whether BALLS 26 is a GO or NO GO. There is a lot involved in making this decision as it involves the plans of a lot of people based on a lot of variables. We are still not positive on the condition of the Playa at the BALLS launch Site and our Ground Zero (BR15). Many people say the lake is dry while many people still report standing water on the lake bed.

AeroPac is holding their AERONAUT launch this coming August 5th & 6th. We have opted to hold out until we get a report from Jim Green as to the condition of their site and our two locations for BALLS. We are staying optimistic but if we get first hand information that the ground is still soft we will cancel.

Sorry for the hold off but we want to be sure before committing everyone to mud. Those who have ever been stuck out there will understand. We hope everyone else will as well.

See you in September
just TOM
BALLS Launch Director

Back