BALLS 26 - September 22-24, 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will the fact that Burning Man seem to have booked the WHOLE PLAYA affect BALLS this year?? Will we have to have 'site passes' like XPRS??

Will the fact that Burning Man seem to have booked the WHOLE PLAYA affect BALLS this year?? Will we have to have 'site passes' like XPRS??

Tom, Dick, and others have been communicating with BLM and Burning Man Incorporated for months to ensure access. Burning Man's permit expires immediately before BALLS permit becomes effective but because of cleanup crews for Burning Man there may be specific instructions for entering, exiting, and traveling on the playa. It has been a mammoth effort on their part, and not always easy. When you see them please tell them thanks.

Steve Shannon

The last few years the Burner clean up crew put traffic cones from the playa entrance to the launch site. Follow the cones and you will stay out of trouble and go right to the launch.
You don't want to drive across the Burningman site before clean up is finished, there is a lot of things you don't want to run over, rebar, nails, wood, Burners covered with dust and hard to see.

M

Not sure what is going on but according to BLM and BM they seem to think they have the playa to themselves however according to the actual notice in the Federal Register it's business as usual and the playa is still open as it has been for several years. Had a discussion with a former BLM person and he seemed to think that nothing has changed and the other groups that access the playa shouldn't be under any new rules. I will say Aeropac may just be trying to be proactive with their printed passes but it only sets up other groups for the same process none of whom want to deal with it or were particularly happy about the misinformation about BM having "exclusive" access. Friends of Black Rock and other groups have been out without incident and passes. Follow the Fed Reg rules and your fine. It actually states 80% of the playa remains open. That's the only pass I will have when I head out in a couple of weeks no pass no permit no group event. There are quit a number of locals who spend Labor Day weekend on the playa without passes as well.

I asked the BALLS launch director, Tom, and he said........

Burning Man's rights to the Playa expire September 20th. The BALLS launch is not affected by this and no Access Permit is required

Is anyone bringing a tower that would fit a 54mm rocket, and would be willing to share?

Anyone interested in doing a fundraiser for Houston? I was thinking of maybe dedicating a flight or 2 and donating a penny a foot. We could pool the money send it to Tripoli Houston BOD and have them donate it locally to victims of Harvey or public safety organisations.

Anyone interested in doing a fundraiser for Houston? I was thinking of maybe dedicating a flight or 2 and donating a penny a foot. We could pool the money send it to Tripoli Houston BOD and have them donate it locally to victims of Harvey or public safety organisations.

Thank you for considering such an act. I can tell you firsthand, that there are many folks in need. A few of us were lucky enough to have very little damage and stayed behind from AirFest to help out with cleanup, it's been tough work. Some who stayed behind are now defaulting back to BALLS and should see you guys soon.

P.S. Anyway to stretch the Sept 7th registration deadline? Still having a tough time getting mail out.

I would think they could waive the extra $20 for onsite reg if you're from the affected area. I'm not on the BoD of the host club and can't speak for them but I would certainly support the decision to do so. I'm glad to hear many are able to come to BALLS.

Thank you for considering such an act. I can tell you firsthand, that there are many folks in need. A few of us were lucky enough to have very little damage and stayed behind from AirFest to help out with cleanup, it's been tough work. Some who stayed behind are now defaulting back to BALLS and should see you guys soon.

P.S. Anyway to stretch the Sept 7th registration deadline? Still having a tough time getting mail out.

RFO,
Take this request directly to the launch director Tom Blazanin and Tripoli Gerlach treasurer Dave Rose. They don't come here. PM me your email address and I'll gladly email them, but it's better if you use the contact information on the Tripoli Gerlach or BALLS Launch pages. They will be on the road soon so email them right away.

I emailed Dave Rose. Here's what he said:
On Sep 3, 2017, at 11:12 AM, Dave Rose wrote:

If they can email me the forms, I will mark it as pay at site. They will get the pre-registration price or I will send them a PayPal invoice AFTER I receive the forms if they prefer

Dave

Steve Shannon

I emailed Dave Rose. Here's what he said:
On Sep 3, 2017, at 11:12 AM, Dave Rose wrote:

If they can email me the forms, I will mark it as pay at site. They will get the pre-registration price or I will send them a PayPal invoice AFTER I receive the forms if they prefer

Dave

Steve Shannon

:clap:

When I was doing registration, and I believe Dave is doing same, is if people had a mail or other issue to put them on the list to pay at launch. Mostly international flyers.

M

RFO,
Take this request directly to the launch director Tom Blazanin and Tripoli Gerlach treasurer Dave Rose. They don't come here. PM me your email address and I'll gladly email them, but it's better if you use the contact information on the Tripoli Gerlach or BALLS Launch pages. They will be on the road soon so email them right away.

PM Sent

AMAZING weather forecasted!

Mid 70's during the day, mid 40's at night and LOW WINDS and no precipitation.
Hope the weather-guesser get it right!

Hope the winds aloft are low too.....

See ya on the playa!

Yes and the pumps are usually 24hr operation with credit card.

Thank you - I do NOT want to have to pay $200+ coz i ran out of fuel and need the diesel engine reprimed... never again.
Looks like load up the truck bed with cans of fuel.
Just dont drive with D and cans of AP in the back... police dont like that...

Thank you - I do NOT want to have to pay $200+ coz i ran out of fuel and need the diesel engine reprimed... never again.
Looks like load up the truck bed with cans of fuel.

Just so you know, the fuel price at Gerlach is about a dollar more than Fernley. I would fill the cans in Fernley and then just top off at Gerlach.

This begs the question: How do you know this?

This begs the question: How do you know this?

My FBI record will state that I am a nice and upstanding person!

Just so you know, the fuel price at Gerlach is about a dollar more than Fernley. I would fill the cans in Fernley and then just top off at Gerlach.

Thanks. I dont really mind paying extra $ for fuel in out of the way places like this. Diesel can sometimes be hard enough to find. Yeah it might nip my pocket a little more than usual, but it nips the community more if people stop using stations like this. Pay for convenience. :wink:

My FBI record will state that I am a nice and upstanding person!

You HAVE and FBI RECORD????

Of course I do... I am a Brit citizen, married to a US citizen, with dual nationality kidlings, and living here all legal like.
You wouldnt imagine all the injections and stuff you have to go through. Since the channel tunnel opened, we started getting Rabies back in the UK..... so... that shot aint nice...
Glad that I didnt have mad cow disease.

Thanks. I dont really mind paying extra $ for fuel in out of the way places like this. Diesel can sometimes be hard enough to find. Yeah it might nip my pocket a little more than usual, but it nips the community more if people stop using stations like this. Pay for convenience. :wink:

That's a great attitude. As a native of a tiny town I appreciate that.

Steve Shannon

We always buy gas in Gerlach. It is an old school service station with the hoses and fan belts hanging from the rafters, rack of new and used tires. Cecil is an icon there with the grumpy humor required for such a place.

M

Back