BALLS 26 - September 22-24, 2017

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We always buy gas in Gerlach. It is an old school service station with the hoses and fan belts hanging from the rafters, rack of new and used tires. Cecil is an icon there with the grumpy humor required for such a place.

M

And Ice. Don't forget ice.

One top off at Gerlach will cost you $20 extra it's a lot cheaper than finding out after a day spent doing recovery you don't have enough fuel to get off the palya. I always top off the Hummer on the way out. I'm rather glad to have the SxS for recovery and transpo saves a bunch in diesel.

Was stated before the high temperature wil be in the 70's (yea,)
Just keep in mind the lows will be low 40's high 30's.
Bring something warm.

M

Was stated before the high temperature wil be in the 70's (yea,)
Just keep in mind the lows will be low 40's high 30's.
Bring something warm.

M
Good news is snow is unlikely. We have gone from the frying pan into the freezer.

Dave Rose reported this on the Tripoli Forum this morning:
While we normally set up the range for Balls today, rain overnight has caused a delay due to stipulations in our permit from the BLM. Anyone planning on arriving early for Balls this weekend, please be aware of the following:

•No driving on wet playa
•If your vehicle is parked and it rains causing a rut, that has to be filled in before you leave.
•Gas cans have to be on a secondary surface like a tarp or something.
•The BLM will be checking for burn scars on the playa and those will get written up if found

The BLM will cite violators. Please share this with anyone you know that is planning to attend

Dave Rose

NO UNLEADED at the Gerlach Gas Station...
it appears that someone (joe says a rocketeer) filled this morn and then drove off without removing the hose.

Diesel is OK :)

Brunos was OUT of Ravioli this afternoon... i had to force feed myself a double chili cheeseburger (WOW).. prices are fantastic... waitress is cute :)

12 mile entrance has some mud. Other than that, no problem getting to flight line.

No porta pots yet

Home.
Great launch, yesterday's weather conditions could not have been better.
Thanks again to the Oregon students for digging out the rocket.

M

The pictures I've seen made it look pretty nice. It would be cool to get a report on the projects that flew.

Yup, we left some of it in three restaurants, one hotel, three gas stations, six parking lots, two driveways, and along 739 miles of US highways and Interstates. And it's still caked on the car.
View attachment 328859

Black Rock Playa = Getting a Rental!:wink:

Looks like a good time was had by all. Thanks to those sharing stories and photos!

Here's one.
Of my "Thin Mint" rocket -- my 75mm MinD 4FNC boosting on a N-1850 using my Kosdon 10k case.
Only problem is the fly-away rail guides failed to fly away.
They tore off one fin and finally left the rocket.....but with one fin gone, the rest followed shortly after a little sky-writing session.
Things were pretty much in a line from the pad....one fin, then the mangled fly-away's, followed by three more fins in somewhat a line to where the motor came to rest.
FUGLY!

Not going to use Fly-Away's ever again.
Was leery of them from the start, but I didn't have time to make a tower and I make it a rule not to borrow people's pads at Balls.
Live and learn (and rebuild)

DSC_2015.jpg

more pics to follow.....

Is that the 'Freds own personal Waiver" flight where it looked like it was bouncing off a ceiling?? One of the most impressive shreds... and you got most back!!

Ouch. Well that answers one question I had been pondering for high performance flight. Surprised the plastic of the guides didn't break before the fins but I am sure that thing was moving pretty fast on impact.

Here's one.
Of my "Thin Mint" rocket -- my 75mm MinD 4FNC boosting on a N-1850 using my Kosdon 10k case.
They tore off one fin and finally left the rocket.....but with one fin gone, the rest followed shortly after a little sky-writing session.
Things were pretty much in a line from the pad....one fin, then the mangled fly-away's, followed by three more fins in somewhat a line to where the motor came to rest.
FUGLY!

Was leery of them from the start, but I didn't have time to make a tower and I make it a rule not to borrow people's pads at Balls.

View attachment 328910

more pics to follow.....

Is that the 'Freds own personal Waiver" flight

No - nothing special - wasn't going above 50k, and only 10.5kNS, so no special waiver needed.
Not sure about the "bouncing on the ceiling part. Just a spent some time whipping around while the 5.3s burn finished.

BTW - fins are NACA profile - stall angle about 14 degrees instead of the more usual 7ish for flat-stock fins. Simmed fine if they were all there......

We have a tower in the works - just wasn't finished in time for this Balls as it became de-prioritized.

We were out recovering a rocket when that project went up. From the angle we were at, at seemed to go perfect, then turn 90 degrees parallel to the ground, the nose kept raising and dropping as if it wanted to try and get higher but couldn't.
Yet again proof that an awesome flight can get to be a spectacular flight. Not quite what you wanted but you got most of it back... solid build!

Here's one.
FUGLY!

View attachment 328910

more pics to follow.....

Wow a fly-away rail guide knocked off a fin, that is seems unusual to me. What kind, if any, fin reinforcement was used? I would be interested in hearing more about your setup as I use the 54mm regularly and plan on using the 38mm.

Wow a fly-away rail guide knocked off a fin, that is seems unusual to me.

Not if it doesn't fly away and sits on the fin piling up aerodynamic forces.

Fred, any ideas as to why the guide did not work as intended? Also was this guide one of the new one with extension springs instead of rubber bands?

No idea why the guide failed to release.
It was the first [and only] time I used a set.
They were rubber-band based.

It was a mangled mess when we found it on the ground....most of the fiberglass rods were shattered and two of the printed parts were broken into parts. Mere dropping from the sky would not have shattered the rods they way there were.

Back