Gorilla Motors has been sold

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, OK, I admit that I bought it. First order of business is the name is changing to Orangutan Motors. Or should I go with Monkey Motors? Baboon Motors? Gibbon Motors? Lemur Motors? Ooh, I like that last one. :wink:

This is just a notice to everyone concerned that Gorilla Motors has now been sold. I am not at liberty to announced the new owners as of now. I still have some hardware and reloads that can still be sold.

Jim Harris
Gorilla Motors

Congratulations Jim! Wishing you the best in any and all of your future endeavors. Hope to see you in Bruno's in the near future as you wait for your oatmeal.... :)

Interesting.......the word "endeavor". Used a couple of times in this thread, once by myself.

I've always spelled it "endeavour". And I'm usually somewhat of a spelling nerd. I in fact DID type in "endeavour", but did not notice that the auto spellcheck changed it to "endeavor". Once I noticed that, I saw that others used the word, with both spellings showing up in different posts.

So what is correct? Both apparently. On the one hand, "endeavor" is the right spelling (at least in the U.S.). On the other hand, "endeavour" IS acceptable as well, although it is usually thought of as "the British spelling". James Cook's HMS Endeavour (which was British).....the space shuttle Endeavour (American but named after Cook's ship).....this spelling works for me. Since I'm certain that most everyone on this forum would find this utterly fascinating (and perhaps even thrilling), I figured I would post about it.

Anywho.....Jim, good luck in your future endeavours; thanks for the cool motors.

s6

Congratulations Jim! Wishing you the best in any and all of your future endeavors. Hope to see you in Bruno's in the near future as you wait for your oatmeal.... :)
Hah! That is a good BALLS story. Sadly as I am sure many of you heard Bruno passed recently. Won't be the same knowing he's not there. Parts of the playa are still flooded but Burning Man is still a go so we should be good for BALLS 26.

Tony

Kinda a bummer to see you get out Jim, but thank you for your time! Glad to see the motors will continue on, a truly understated brand for sure!

Braden

Last edited:
The names of the new owners will be revealed when they want to and not before to anyone. Not even the Tripoli TMT!!!

Last edited:
I cleaned this thread up. It was a little our of hand.

Jim: Thank you again for providing motors for our hobby and I, for one, will be patient for the impending news.

I cleaned this thread up. It was a little our of hand. .

Good move.. So Jim- how long did you own Gorilla motors? What made you start it in the first place? Personal favorite motor of yours to fly?

ACK

I am dying to know who bought it....

(subscribes to thread. waits impatiently)

-Dave

Good move.. So Jim- how long did you own Gorilla motors? What made you start it in the first place? Personal favorite motor of yours to fly?

About 10 years.

The experimental pyro in me.

Sparkies, long burn and normal whites

About 10 years.

The experimental pyro in me.

Sparkies, long burn and normal whites

Jim I love your M1610 for the 75/7600 motor. Remember when I punched one off at TTRA 4 years ago in my small 4 inch yellow rocket and it "tickeled" the waiver of 14000 agl and hit mach 1.4 , and yet landed 32 feet from the pad . If anybody has the opertunity to fly one or more of these loads , do it , you will not be sorry .

Eric

Jim I love your M1610 for the 75/7600 motor. If anybody has the opertunity to fly one or more of these loads , do it , you will not be sorry.
Agreed, love this motor, my 1/2 Patriot last flew on this motor as part of the inaugural M.A.R.S (Melbourne Amateur Rocketry Societies) launch in Victoria Australia, keep them coming our way :)

Thanks Jim, your efforts are appreciated on a Global scale.

So, two months to the day, and no info on the new ownership, intentions, products, etc. Anyone know anything?

So, two months to the day, and no info on the new ownership, intentions, products, etc. Anyone know anything?

Ok , I guess its time for me to make the anouncment . The person who purchased the company was , not me lol.
I look forward to hearing the news and plans for the awsome motors that have been produced.

Eric

Ok , I guess its time for me to make the anouncment . The person who purchased the company was , not me lol.
I look forward to hearing the news and plans for the awsome motors that have been produced.

Eric

Lol... Thanks for that!

Two months is nothing for getting a company going. I'm guessing six, minimum, till we hear anything, probably a year or more. I doubt the new owner is doing this full time, at least at first. Plus with all the regs and approvals...

Yes John I know lol . I have been asked by several members on here though about the new owners . No I did not buy it , but trust me , you know them . Be patient , It WILL be worth it.

Teaser mode off

Eric

Ah, so they plan to continue on eventually and not just be a rich hobbyist(s) who bought up the operation/stuff for their own private use?:wink:

Kurt

Ah, so they plan to continue on eventually and not just be a rich hobbyist(s) who bought up the operation/stuff for their own private use?:wink:

If Gorilla (Jim) is selling off his chems in the EX forum, and AG71 is selling off the cases, it leads me to believe that whomever bought it, bought it for the name and formulas. If they're going to continue it as a business, then they're someone who has their own chems and can supply cases?

If Gorilla (Jim) is selling off his chems in the EX forum, and AG71 is selling off the cases, it leads me to believe that whomever bought it, bought it for the name and formulas. If they're going to continue it as a business, then they're someone who has their own chems and can supply cases?

Or they don't need the chems right now , or it wasn't part of the deal. Also cases can be made by just about any competent machine shop. AGM was local to Jim in FL. Gary is a nice guy . He made me several custom cases including a 48 inch long 38 mm full K.

Last edited:
Maybe Jim had no stock of chemicals left? Only Jim and buyer knows for sure. Give new owner some time. I remember when someone purchased Magnum Rockets it never did reopen.

Kurt

The case designs are from AMW. Will that handshake agreement (with a no-longer-alive person) transfer with no issues?
The casings can be made by a good machine shop, but they have to invest in a mill run of DOM tubing for each $ize.
The formulas are from combing and prodding the EX community, originally.
The new owners have to reapply for DOT #'s as a new entity in a new location.
They get a nice logo and a tertiary market placement.
Oh, and some equipment and process knowledge. <-- there's the value.
:pop:

The case designs are from AMW. Will that handshake agreement (with a no-longer-alive person) transfer with no issues?
The casings can be made by a good machine shop, but they have to invest in a mill run of DOM tubing for each $ize.
The formulas are from combing and prodding the EX community, originally.
The new owners have to reapply for DOT #'s as a new entity in a new location.
They get a nice logo and a tertiary market placement.
Oh, and some equipment and process knowledge. <-- there's the value.
:pop:

You missed the intended jocularity of my post John. It's nice it isn't disappearing but if there were a very "rich" research/machinist type who could buy all the stuff up for their own use, we might not hear about Gorilla ever again.:confused2:
The "humor" is I doubt there is anyone amongst us who could do something like that!:confused: :surprised:
I realize the time it takes about transferring legal paperwork from one party to another. Scott Kormeier went through that when he purchased Loki from Jeff Taylor.

Kurt

Back