Carrying bag / travel case for large HPR

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeff2space

Reaction score
They make travel bags for skis and golf clubs both soft and hard cover. I even found carrying bags for RC plane wings, big ones. So I've been thinking about a long carrying bag for let's say an Ultimate Wildman. Larger on one end for the fins and pointed at the other for nosecone. Would need to be made from some tough fabric, waterproof, and high quality zipper. Any ideas out there?

Gary, is this something TFR could attempt? It probably would have to be a top notch sewing machine that can handle thicker material. Or at least throw a cost number to it.
Just doing a little thinking.

I have a very heavy-duty ski bag from LLBean that would work for half of an Ultimate Wildman! You'd definitely need two of them for the full carry. What about a Christmas tree bag? I think 58" is a bit short for that bird, but I'm sure there are other sizes out there? Might have to get creative with some foam, are you thinking of checking or shipping? Or just for transport?

I have a friend who's wife sews "socks" for his rockets. He then throws them in the back of his truck.

I have thought about just strapping a large FG rocket to the roof rack, but that would probably look a little strange driving down the interstate.

I had been putting my rockets in a Rubbermaid trunk and mounting it on a rear luggage rack. It worked great until I got rear-ended coming home from a launch last weekend. Several of my LPR and MPR rockets were crushed, but at least my large FG-reinforced Terrordactyl survived.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1497140797.127293.jpg
18952796_10102524509824014_8413323632654131321_n.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1497140821.977876.jpg

I have a friend who's wife sews "socks" for his rockets. He then throws them in the back of his truck.

I have thought about just strapping a large FG rocket to the roof rack, but that would probably look a little strange driving down the interstate.

I had been putting my rockets in a Rubbermaid trunk and mounting it on a rear luggage rack. It worked great until I got rear-ended coming home from a launch last weekend. Several of my LPR and MPR rockets were crushed, but at least my large FG-reinforced Terrordactyl survived.

Oh that sucks! Can you file a claim against the other driver's insurance for that? I've thought about the roof rack idea myself, would certainly get some looks, just not sure if it might also get some roadblocks, spike strips and helicopters...

I reckon if you just get an appropriately nerdy Rocket Science decal for your back windshield, it wouldn't rate a second glance.

Something like:
"Rocket scientists are the best at getting it up!"

Or

"Never meddle in the affairs of Rocket Scientists, they are subtle and quick to anger..."

Or

"I'm a rocket scientist, if you see me running, try to keep up..."

a google search for 'car top carrier' reveals quite the assortment of possibilities though for large HPR a 'kayak carrier' might work nicely:).
Rex

It would not be too hard to make a case for your rocket using large diameter PVC pipe. You can cut slots for the fins, and create guards for them.

a google search for 'car top carrier' reveals quite the assortment of possibilities though for large HPR a 'kayak carrier' might work nicely:).
Rex

I have a truck so car storage is not the issue. Guess I was just thinking out loud that a carrying bag would be neat for transporting to launches and storing at home.

for grins i sewed this bag for my rocket out of scraps of canvas given to me from a local shop. looks great driving down the street stapped to the roof racks!
786ad867c92f13b1e3a096ec63d30dda.jpg

c30f162b5372bdb196751651597d2c4a.jpg

cant mar that pretty paint job [emoji38]

Gary could probably stitch one up if he had the heavy material. He has made me a few custom items.

DinoChutes does have some thicker material. Pat has done some custom pouches for me before but nowhere near that big so not sure on something that size. It would be pricey from either vendor.

Wouldn't hurt to email both though if you really want one.

I propose a rigid airship a couple hundred feet in length. A cargo bay with a workshop. Fly to and from the launch. Preferably not filled with hydrogen.

Back to reality.

use pvc drain pipe(thin wall) instead of pressure rated pipe.
Rex

I think a carrier made out of collapsible material (eg canvas bag or similar) would preferable to a rigid one. When I first got into HPR I bought a very large 10" cardboard carrying tube complete with plastic handle from an artist's supplies shop, to carry my LOC 4" Fantom. I made slots for the fins as K'Tesh suggested. I thought I'd hit on a neat solution. However, after one trip it became evident it was more trouble than it was worth - extra bulk, ungainly, and harder to manhandle than the rocket itself.

I think a carrier made out of collapsible material (eg canvas bag or similar) would preferable to a rigid one. When I first got into HPR I bought a very large 10" cardboard carrying tube complete with plastic handle from an artist's supplies shop, to carry my LOC 4" Fantom. I made slots for the fins as K'Tesh suggested. I thought I'd hit on a neat solution. However, after one trip it became evident it was more trouble than it was worth - extra bulk, ungainly, and harder to manhandle than the rocket itself.

For me, I'm thinking about how I would use it for shipping and traveling via air. Chinese ground handlers are not known for being gentle. Of course, the rocket(s) I have in mind for that kind of carrying method are intended to break down to reduce the length.

For me, I'm thinking about how I would use it for shipping and traveling via air.

Fair point - obviously if it's going in the hold of any air carrier it's going to need some robust protection. Perhaps building a small wooden crate lined with bubble wrap would be the best option, then sending it separately via one of the big parcel shippers (..?)

Back