Estes V2 build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snrkl

Reaction score
What paint scheme are you going to finish it with?

It will likely be a roll pattern, but I've just received this: ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1497385579.253763.jpg

so I might be using it as one of the roll pattern colours - need to have a play.

SIG: All I want is a kind word, a warm bed, and unlimited power.

@Mushtang: I had a friend in 12th grade who used that as his tag line on BBSs back in the day!! You get an A+++ for that one...

Progress:

Boat tail top and tailed.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1497536499.712695.jpg

Fun slots cut. One minor blade slip that might require some work.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1497536549.895289.jpg

And one of the aft fin slots was very narrow inside. It will need widening if there's to be a fin inserted through that.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1497536601.104651.jpg

Fun slots cut. One minor blade slip that might require some work.
View attachment 322169

Suggestion: use a sanding block with 80- or 120-grit sandpaper to level out the fin slots. Doing so with widen the slots slightly and improve the overall look of the finished model.

IMG_2512.jpg

(Source: I've built an unfortunate number of these V-2 kits.)

James

A little progress before bed tonight.

I've been working on a sim model.

OR can't do fins on transitions, so I've had to start using rocksim in anger.

The first pass was modelled correctly, but I was at the point of needing 30g of weight in the NC to get 0.97 calibers of stability.

I also learned a PITA thing about rocksim: you can't override JUST the weight. You HAVE to do the CG for each component also, which sucks.

I think this sim file needs much work to be useful.

As for the build:

Boat Tail and nose cone wet sanded.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1497708586.334240.jpg

I also started filling the BT spirals the other night.

I've discovered my wood putty was too dry when I bought it. After some research I've been experimenting with adding just 3-4 drops of warm water in each time I use it..

As the putty has become more goopy, I've been getting easier and better filling results, albeit it taking longer as there's more drying to do before I can scrape the excess off with my putty scraper (which is recycled back into the pot)

I think the next time with 3-4 more water drops I'll be around a perfect sloppy consistency.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1497708738.728462.jpg

I still have the minor seam to do, tomorrow night hopefully.

A little more time spent tonight.

CA sealed and wet sanded the seams on the NC.

Finished sealing and sanding the BT... four more drops of water made for the perfect goopy consistency of wood filler - probably the best BT seam sealing I've had to date.

Glued and filleted the aft and mid CRs on the MMT.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1497795292.534534.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1497795306.688007.jpg

Next step is to think and figure out how I'm going to attach the shock cord

I don't like the idea of just tying a knot in the provided elastic shock cord that passes through a slot in the fwd CR - I'm thinking how best to attach a Kevlar line.

I built one last year. I cut my fins down to scale. About 1/2" removed from outer edge. This was also the first rocket that I papered the balsa fins. I did add about 1oz. of nose weight to aid stability. Flies arrow-straight.

And I converted to micro rail buttons.
IMG_0242.jpg

That's a nice looking bird... 😁👍🏻

Where did u find that paint??? It's been a few years since I have seen that stuff

I had to special order it from my local hardware store. (Bunnings in AU)

It took about a week to arrive.

I am working on this same kit as a noob to sanding and filling (usually I just glue, spray, and launch). I'm wondering, how will you make fin fillets? I'm puzzled because one side is balsa, the other is plastic. I don't know if I'm skilled enough to use epoxy without making a mess. Hoping to use something sandable.

I am working on this same kit as a noob to sanding and filling (usually I just glue, spray, and launch). I'm wondering, how will you make fin fillets? I'm puzzled because one side is balsa, the other is plastic. I don't know if I'm skilled enough to use epoxy without making a mess. Hoping to use something sandable.

I'll be using 5min epoxy.

It's actually quite easy - don't be afraid!

https://www.apogeerockets.com/education/downloads/Newsletter327.pdf is a great set of instructions to assist.

Progress tonight as I realised I want to fly this thing in two weeks and I have almost no weekend time between now and then due to other commitments.

Fins sanded, shaped, fitted to the boat tail and papered. (No pics of the papering, that has to happen fast and now , they're drying under a stack of heavy books, but the first one will be wrinkles as all hell as I always put too much glue on the first one...)

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498145150.228166.jpg

I used the fin and can numbering system demonstrated in the build thread I'm kinda mimicking.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498145184.893938.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498145198.191278.jpg

MMT glued into the BT and filleted, drying now.

In the end I just tied Kevlar around the MMT, thin CA'd the pre cut slot and passed it through. I'll add some elastic to the top of it.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498145272.116507.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498145309.992236.jpg

That's all I can do till tomorrow.

Tomorrow calls for gluing the boat tail and gluing/filleting the fins.

After that, we're pretty much at prime and paint time.

Have you considered trimming the fins back to a more scale shape? If you plan on using the recommended Estes motors there should be no negative impact on the stability of the rocket, assuming that you take it easy on adding mass during construction.

James

Have you considered trimming the fins back to a more scale shape? If you plan on using the recommended Estes motors there should be no negative impact on the stability of the rocket, assuming that you take it easy on adding mass during construction.

James

I'm not much fussed about scale accuracy.

Updates:

Fins papered and CA sealed.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498314407.912827.jpg

One fin got a little wrinkly:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498314433.492314.jpg
I'm hoping I can prime/sand it back to something reasonable.

Gluing fins into the can ATM.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498314478.196440.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498314488.982624.jpg

First fin set and I took a look inside: the fwd TTW tab isn't in contact with the MMT. No idea how I missed that with all the dry fits.

Re-checked 2,3&4 and they all look like they'll make good contact.

I noticed on fin1 the contact with the boat tail was tall - everything was pushed in as far as it could go - NFI where the problem was. I'm guessing the CA has lengthened the fwd tab a little and when it stopped going on it was actually pinching on the front or rear of the FWD fin slot.

So I've dribbled epoxy in to fix the gap and hopefully prevent a total fin failure.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498314617.675728.jpg

Fins filleted tonight. I wish there was an easy way to mask filets on a boat tail without having to resort to expensive bendy Tamiya tape.

Ok - so construction complete (excluding laundry installation)

Progress yesterday and today:

Sanded fillets, sanded and re CAd the fin edges (I forgot to sand the paper / balsa transitions before CAing the first time)

Filled the boat tail/BY gap and sanded.

(Is it wrong to say: "I like sanding"?)

Considered smoothing the LE/BT joins with some wood filler, but opted not to - I just need to figure out how to do fillet LE bits better.

Glued launch lugs and I'm about to fillet them (ok - not QUITE complete).

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498574271.788346.jpg

Tomorrow will see painting start:
White then grey primer and black gloss base coat is the plan for tomorrow.

Day after I'll mask and will be doing the roll pattern with....

Drumroll....

The colour shift paint... (ooooooooohhhh. Aaaaahhhhhh I hear you say... 😜)

My love for wood glue diminishes daily.

Both of these issues were invisible u til the rocket was primed.

BT puckered at the CRs
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498632046.935553.jpg

And LL fillets had holes! (I even checked with a torch!)

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498632080.100063.jpg

I know people mock my love of all things epoxy, but....

I look forward to seeing what that looks like, if you can capture it in a picture (or maybe a short video).

Just for you sir: a colour test.

Instructions call for a black base coat - I did 50/50 as a test.

The white was... not interesting.

[video=youtube;LlOlXlhrQsg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlOlXlhrQsg[/video]

Very cool!

Launch lug fillets are notoriously bubbly. Which exact glue did you use? Standard wood glue will *always* bubble. Two layers of TB quick and thick however have always gotten me good results.

Yep, too much wood glue when installing the motor mount can easily pucker your BT. Gotta be careful with how much you use. And the LL. I use just enough to tack it into place, then, like Neil, I use the TB Q&T to add fillets.

Yeah: titebond doesn't exist over here as far as I can tell. Most of the glues you all talk about don't.

Back