Estes V2 build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They probably do, just by different names. Or very similar formulations made by a different manufacturer. Maybe ask around on some local modeling forums. You might even check out www.rcscalebuilder.com - though you'd probably need to donate as a member to get too far; you're only allowed 5 posts without being a member. I've been a member of that site for ten years. $20 a year really isn't that bad for the wealth of information you can get from those guys. I know there are several Aussies and Kiwi's on that site who could probably tell you about all sorts of glues available in your area.

Yeah: titebond doesn't exist over here as far as I can tell. Most of the glues you all talk about don't.

Polyvinyl acetate by any other name would stick as sweet. :) The launch lug/body tube joint is especially troublesome for those types of glues. I typically work the glue fillet in there with a toothpick. After that a final smoothing with wood filler or lightweight spackle if needed.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498834100.177354.jpg

Sanded - primer coat two with Grey.

Black gloss base coat done also. (Need to get a pic tomorrow)

Now we let it dry for 48hrs then I'll mask and apply the colour shift roll pattern...

Build update.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498997015.632314.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498997028.295842.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498997051.328424.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498997064.405956.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498997129.945873.jpg

All Tamiya taped and ready for the rest of the masking tomorrow.

I've decided to keep the nose cone solid black with a coloured tip rather than go through the hassle of measuring and masking the roll pattern on the curved NC...

Plan is to finish masking with regular tape in the morning, then spray a clear coat over the base, then its on to the colour shift...

Used a post it note measured to 120mm to mark around the NC for the masking tape where the colour changes.

Used the square edge on the NC lip to align the post it and marked the NC with dotted lines that I could follow with the Tamiya tape. ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1498997685.379430.jpg

It worked well, despite taking quite a long time to work my way around the whole NC...

Update.

Long story short:

Sprayed too thick to fast on the NC - the colour shift goes on like a clear and it's really hard to see how much you're laying down. End result: massive wrinkles. I'll see how I go but it might be flown like this on Sunday and then in for a sand and repaint next week.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1499056621.993295.jpg

Body tube - as I'm running out of time - the roll patterns which needed to be done in two lots (tape in wrong places for both sides simultaneously) I did in one and I'm planning on using the waterslide decals to cover the black band in the middle.

Overall - I think the colour shift and black roll patterns look a little new and interesting.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1499056841.751227.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1499056853.714138.jpg

So with 30g in the nose, and no motor, I've *just* got 1cal of stability.

Anyone out there who's flown the Estes v2 who can comment on how many calibers of stability this puppy needs to prevent sky writing?

Back