Our boy is gone.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
I wasn't going to post about this but I know some here really liked my rocket buddy.
We had to let Kodiac go today.
He was in his 13yr. The last month he was getting real weak in the rear end.I figured old age was catching up to him and the time was coming.
He started to fall down once in awhile going up the steps to the house.
The last couple weeks he started to really drink the water and peeing a lot.
This last week he started to pee in the house and was getting weak and even started to look sick.
Saturday we brought him to the vet and test showed he had a bad UTI and high sugar.
They put him on meds for the UTI. He just got weaker and weaker over the weekend and his eyes swelled up really bad. I had to help him outside to pee and again getting him inside.
Today we brought him back to vet and tests showed his sugar was over 600!
He was in real bad shape and I knew he was ready. He gave me that.."Im hurting bad Dad" look.
He was too cool of a dog and with his huge personality to let him live any longer in the shape he was in.
He went out with his dignity intact. RIP Kodiac... :(

rocket dog.jpg

Hard thing to do there... but I never believe that they are 'gone'. We have just released their soul/spirit to rest and then be reincarnated into the world again . ( I originally typed 'reanimated' but, thats different..)

Hold on to those great times you shared!

I'm super sorry Scotty...
I wish I could say something to make you feel better..
I really am sorry man...

Teddy

My sympathies (and a few choked back tears) to you.
I would have posted that same "toon" if Mark didn't do if first.
I'm SURE Kodiac loved his life with you and Sandy.

s6

So sorry for your loss. I went thru this just three weeks ago today. I miss Jack every single day. He's watching us from atop the entertainment center and I pet him every morning and evening. I still tell him I love him. Be sure to tell your fur buddy you still love him and miss him. He'll be waiting for you.

These threads really hit me where it hurts, despite the fact it's been almost 40 years since I had a dog. After having grown up with her, the pain of losing her was excruciating. I'm now long since sufficiently removed that I simply remember her with great love and affection.

Sincerest condolences Scottie, and you too Noffie79.

Geez Scotty. I'm so sorry. Loosing your dog is like loosing a best friend, or brother. You have my deepest sympathies buddy. He hurts no more.

I'm so sorry for your loss. It sounds like he had a great life.

So sorry for your loss Scotty. Even though it was time, and you did the right thing, I know this hurts like hell. I'm sure Kodiac would tell you the right thing to do next: find another fur baby who needs a forever home, and let him/her experience the same love that Kodiac enjoyed.

+1 on what Lawrence said. Much condolences for you and your wife. I loved seeing pics of Kodiak in the winter snow. He was in his element with his buddy. I'm not as macho as Dave (S6) so yeah- I cried a little for you. Peace be on you and yours, Scotty. It's hard, but the good memories will survive. Every dog I've ever had takes a piece of my heart to heaven with them. I'm convinced it's the only way I'm getting there.....

My deepest sympathies for you and your family Scotty.
I can't remember a time in my life I didn't have a best friend.
I've had to put down a few, lost a few to cars, it's like loosing one of the family...well, it is.
I can only give the advice I give myself. Run right out and get another best friend.
It really does help the healing process.
RIP Kodiac!

Dog, my heart goes out to you. I'm in a similar position with the wolf (weak in the rear and 14). Kodiac was a part of your posts and this forum since I joined. Glad he went with dignity---H

Scotty, I feel ya pain, I'm currently watching my number one fan go through the same thing. The saving grace for me is knowing he is part of my life I will never forget. Time helps, and so doesn't the love that was alwalys there. Prayers bro!

Thanks everyone.
It sure is tough. Plus, the fact I was already an emotional mess from watching him suffer and go down hill the last week.
I have absolutely no issue,second thoughts,ect about putting him down. He was ready and he suffers no more.
Its the habit things now..having him come in the bedroom to get me up, having my morning toast with him, walking in the house and having that look of joy because "My Daddy is home" . All that love is gone and it sucks, hurts so bad at this point.
I'll get over it, as I have with all the other dogs. I also know and realize how BLESSED we were to have him.
As much as this hurts,we will get another to love and be loved back.
Thanks again so much guys.
Scotty Dog

Sorry for your loss. You did the right thing and that's the last act of love you can do for your companion. He was a great companion and you both were fortunate to have each other. 13 yrs for a dog is a good life.

So sorry for your loss Scotty. Even though it was time, and you did the right thing, I know this hurts like hell. I'm sure Kodiac would tell you the right thing to do next: find another fur baby who needs a forever home, and let him/her experience the same love that Kodiac enjoyed.
That day will come. Right now we are paying respect to Kodiac. We cant replace him, but we can get another dog. Kodiac was a VERY unique dog. I know a few people that didn't even care for dogs, but after meeting and getting to know Kodiac..they came to love him. He was such a cool dude!

My sincerest condolences. I have had to put down my best friend several times. It is never an easy task, but one that we all know is what is best. We have another coming soon I fear. If you have animals, it happens.

The best we can do is remember them at their best.

Its hard to lose our furry friends. So sorry for your loss.

We took in a stray cat 4 weeks ago. We took her to the vet and she tested positive for feline leukemia. It is fatal and contagious, but sometimes the first test is a false positive. We were told to wait 6 weeks and retest her. Since we have other cats we kept her in a basement room completely separate from our cats. My wife and I would take turns sitting with her for several hours a day. She warmed up to us quickly and would fall asleep on our laps. After less than three weeks she started to go downhill and quit eating. My wife took her back to the vet. She was seriously anemic. We got steroids and antibiotics, but just two days later we had to take her back to the vet one last time as it was clear she wasn't going to make it. We have a 3 foot tall concrete statue of St Francis in the back yard and we buried her next to it. We only had her 3 weeks and it was still really hard to say goodbye.

Its hard to lose our furry friends. So sorry for your loss.

We took in a stray cat 4 weeks ago. We took her to the vet and she tested positive for feline leukemia. It is fatal and contagious, but sometimes the first test is a false positive. We were told to wait 6 weeks and retest her. Since we have other cats we kept her in a basement room completely separate from our cats. My wife and I would take turns sitting with her for several hours a day. She warmed up to us quickly and would fall asleep on our laps. After less than three weeks she started to go downhill and quit eating. My wife took her back to the vet. She was seriously anemic. We got steroids and antibiotics, but just two days later we had to take her back to the vet one last time as it was clear she wasn't going to make it. We have a 3 foot tall concrete statue of St Francis in the back yard and we buried her next to it. We only had her 3 weeks and it was still really hard to say goodbye.

We thought about getting a rescue dog. Don't know at this point. Another thing people are doing now is adopting older dogs that are up to be destroyed. That takes a special person to take in an old dog knowing they aren't going to live long. Maybe when I retire Ill go that route. Heck, I got 12 acres here, hahah We could have lots of dogs running around. :smile:

Yup, just when you think your doing good , bam, the waterfall starts. Coming in the house is a killer for me. I miss that "My Dads home" excitement soooo much! He would go crazy when his Dad came home. Sandy would get jealous sometimes. Dad was the fun, go for a ride, outside times and Mom was cuddles, hugs and lovey times.
He filled both our lives with joy.

They left this life while receiving love, that is a good thing and a blessing.

Yup, just when you think your doing good , bam, the waterfall starts. Coming in the house is a killer for me. I miss that "My Dads home" excitement soooo much! He would go crazy when his Dad came home. Sandy would get jealous sometimes. Dad was the fun, go for a ride, outside times and Mom was cuddles, hugs and lovey times.
He filled both our lives with joy.

We did that "older dog rescue" you mentioned- and I'm loving every minute of it, but am bracing for the inevitable drop. We got a fantastic but somewhat psychologically damaged (it seems, anyway...some people indicate it's just the breed) Great Dane. We've never had a BIG dog before, but he took to us (me, in particular it seems) over night. He was 4 when we got him, and is now 6; the average life expectancy is 6-8, so I'm hoping against hope that we're going to beat the odds. He's already so much grayer in the muzzle, but is such a sweet beast. Excellent with kids, hates new grownups at first, but warms up quickly, unless you're wearing a hat. Had a rough life before he found us, so I'm thrilled that he's with us now.
The part that sustains us through the loss is knowing that it was mutual- we helped them, and they helped us...it's seldom known who helped whom more however!

Back