Reality TV? Big $$

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
It seems that's all that's on lately. There must be at least 20 different programs or more and all the individuals involved in these programs are pulling down some serious cash. Street Outlaws for one, I was reading online that Big Chef is worth 1.2 million and I'm sure his auto motive garage doesn't make enough to support his hobby of running his car down the street. Most all the guy's on there have a net worth of high 6 figures.

I think a lot of those survial type programs where they are eating gross stuff and walking around in their bare feet, you can bet there's a medic crew there to patch them up along with a RV that has the AC on and probably sub sandwiches and cold drinks.

Alaskan Bush People?? Really?? Big family stakes claim to some land in Alaska and starts building on it? Is that even legal? These people act like they don't have anything, which by all accounts they probably didn't so they jump on the band wagon and bring their idea to the network and now I'm sure they have plenty of cash.

Maybe us rocket guys should have our own thing?? I'm sure we don't have enough drama for the networks. Look at Pawn Stars. Chumlee gets 35k an episode and he just has to be his stupid self. Sign me up

'reality' TV is insanely cheap to produce relative to actual content.

People who find pointless drama worthy of vicarious discussion are easily advertised to.

The first point is basic accounting, the second is my completely biased opinion.

Reality TY is not reality. Some friends in the office appeared on a flip-this-house show. They shot real scenes 15 times until they got the perfect surprise reaction.
Then my assistant, who was on the episode, watched it when it aired 6 months later. She said she recognized some of the people at the "real" open house, they were all the production crew, changing costumes and hair. Reality tv is scripted, not real. Few that are real are Cops, Live PD, 1st 48, etc.

Yup, just ask the guys who worked on the Mythbusters and LDRS rocket shows. Some may be here. Some are on the TRA FB group.

There is NO real in reality TV.

The gag is this: do as many takes as it "takes" to get a "GOOD TV" shot.

I had to unbox my project 6 times for the camera. Of course I made the crew re-box it 5 times....lol

2 days of filming...8-10 hrs each day...for 5-6 minutes of airtime after editing, in the show. I got 500 bucks.

There is NO real in reality TV.

The gag is this: do as many takes as it "takes" to get a "GOOD TV" shot.

I had to unbox my project 6 times for the camera. Of course I made the crew re-box it 5 times....lol

2 days of filming...8-10 hrs each day...for 5-6 minutes of airtime after editing, in the show. I got 500 bucks.

What show was this?

Reality tv is scripted, not real. Few that are real are Cops, Live PD, 1st 48, etc.

The only "Reality TV" shows I watch!

Even the History Channel is a far cry from what it used to be IMO. "American Pickers"? Really? While it certainly does provide some history to the items they find, the "reality" aspect of it is just too contrived for my liking. I'd rather watch "Antiques Roadshow" on PBS for my money. :wink:

Somebody is obviously watching this garbage, otherwise it wouldn't be on.. Question is "who"..

How many 'digging for gold' shows do we need? Or how many "commercial fishing" shows? I wish they would focus on the technology, the trials, and not digress into a whiney pitty-party about the other guy, or why it went wrong.. Or even custom car garages... Don't care.

The really sad thing is that the once 'noble' cable channels that now show this tripe once honoured their mandate: Discovery to show sceincy type shows, History to show 'history'.. their lines are now blurred with TLC.. (remember when that stood for "The Learning Channel"?) Even National Geographic is starting to show this reality garbage..

And, can someone please explain "The real housewives of [insert city here]"? And who exactly is watching this?

What happened to TV trying to teach a moral, to help shape a positive society, to help enlighten as well as entertain? Instead we now get cry-babies who can only complain about their predicament..

This, with their insistent need to shove an advert down our throat is pushing me to only subscribe to netfix!

Back