Batman is dead

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He had a good run, he was 88. RIP Mr. West. Thanks for hours of entertainment.

I was hoping that some day I could have my son meet him, as he loves all things batman (lego batman and adam west batman especially). So long to the Bright Knight!

RIP...
Boy do I remember watching Batman when I was a kid...
After school..

Teddy

Sorry to hear he passed away.
I'll tell my only story about meeting up with Adam West.

I was working at Sea World, hosting the Dolphin Show. It was in the off season so I had a few hours between shows.
I heard Adam West was the celebrity of the day at the Disney MGM Studios, just a few minutes drive away.
I could go see the interview between shows.

No time to change clothes so I drove over in my show host costume, a bright Hawaiian shirt and white slacks.
The interview started and it didn't seem like he was too excited to be there.
He took questions from the audience. I asked something about the show's cancellation.

He said snidely: "Did you ever hear about these things called "ratings?"
"Who dresses you anyway?" (Referring to my bright shirt)

My response was: "You're knocking my clothes? You're the one who made a living running around
in a leotard and cape!"
Luckily he laughed.

At Sea World, I was also lucky to meet Frank Gorshin, the show's original Riddler.
He was very cordial and even did the Riddler laugh.

Adam struggled with his typecasting as Batman in the early seventies. Fortunately, he was able to work through it, and came to embrace the role and what it did for his career. You probably caught him during those dark days.

I did a movie with him in the early 90s, a terrible, low-budget fiasco called Maxim Xul. The movie stunk, the hours stunk, the pay stunk ... but Adam was fun! He was playful and seemed to have a good time, even though he making a pittance in a terrible, direct-to-video film.

In the movie, he played a professor of middle-eastern history, and he lived in a big mansion. He decides to help the local detective solve a series of murders. In one scene, the detective finally gives in and calls the professor. We were set up to do the shot where the professor answers the phone. Places, roll sound, speed! Action! The phone rings, Adam runs over and picks it up, and says, "Yes, Commissioner?"

We all fell out. It was great.

He and I were born on the same date, September 19.

Just watched the 1960's Batman Movie on Netflix two nights ago, that show was a family classic IMO. State of the art then but classically cheesy now, probably why I love those old shows.

Adam struggled with his typecasting as Batman in the early seventies.
This behavior I do not understand - movie making is supposedly a creative and imaginative thing and yet typecasting is a behavior far from being creative and imaginative; far enough away to be the poster child for the concept of hypocrisy.
Does that typecasting is done demonstrate that movie making is not actually as creative and imaginative as claimed?

This behavior I do not understand - movie making is supposedly a creative and imaginative thing and yet typecasting is a behavior far from being creative and imaginative; far enough away to be the poster child for the concept of hypocrisy.
Does that typecasting is done demonstrate that movie making is not actually as creative and imaginative as claimed?

Filmmaking, television, and music are a business- money is the answer to your question so to speak.

Big to-do about the release of "The Martian," with Matt Damon not too long ago. It was a good flick. But...

Who here saw "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" starring Adam West?

Big to-do about the release of "The Martian," with Matt Damon not too long ago. It was a good flick. But...

Who here saw "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" starring Adam West?

I really like Batman, but I hated "Robinson Crusoe on Mars". I just thought it was stupid. Sorry.

I didn't remember he was in RCOM. Always thought that was a fun movie though. Silly, of course, even given the then-current understanding of conditions on Mars.

Had to look up what his (small) role was in the movie. Hint: not the monkey!

[video=youtube;RLZQ3OLEJWE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLZQ3OLEJWE[/video]

He will be missed.

I wish I could find the entire series on DVD for a reasonable price, I would buy it.

I really like Batman, but I hated "Robinson Crusoe on Mars". I just thought it was stupid. Sorry.

I didn't ask if ya liked it, just if ya saw it... It didn't exactly get raves from the critics, either. Just pointing out that Adam West did have roles other than Batman. Most recently... Mayor of Quahog. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
I collect bubble gum cards and I'll have to start having a look at the 1960's Batman cards on ebay.

19030406_1345223418865820_5049057810676175395_n.jpg

Oh that is a grand illustration!
Brings this to mind,
https://youtu.be/PE_CM3tvkys
"Uploaded on May 27, 2010
The famous Bat-Climb batclimb window cameos from the 1966-68 TV show Batman starring Adam West and Burt Ward, featuring all the guest stars who pop out of the window, Jerry Lewis, Sammy Davis Jr., Van Williams, Bruce Lee, Art Linkletter, Don Ho, Col. Klink, Lurch etc. all in order of airing!
"

Back