Rocket Cams?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AfterBurners

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
So what have you guys been using for rocket cams to capture some cool quality video and pictures?

Several years back I was just using those key chain cameras, but looking for something of higher quality.

Any suggestions?

I'll be using it on 3" and up size rockets.

Thanks!!:)

I'll be trying the RunCam2 for the first time this summer. Looks promising. WiFi and 1080p @ 60fps.

I have used the the Mobius in the past, but now I'm looking for something better.

https://shop.runcam.com/runcam2/

Capture22.JPG

I got one of these last year but haven't gotten around to building a camera mount for it yet. I plan to put it on my Formula 150.

maxresdefault.jpg

We used a Sony Action-Cam pointed out the aft centering ring on our upscale Dragonfly, but there was plenty of room. For our next rocket we bought a Mobius camera with shroud from Liquidfyre rocketry, which looks to be a really cool camera - we'll see!

I sell the Mobius and 808 keychain cameras and thru wall shrouds for them. I am also working to develop a thru wall shroud for the mobius mini.

I'm really liking the Hawkeye Firefly Q6 as a 1080p/60 camera (also does 4k/24 and 2k/30) with battery life that seems to be comparable to the original Mobius (as opposed to the Mobius Mini, which is also 1080p/60 but much smaller, which means much smaller battery). GearBest always seems to have the best price for it (I ordered one for less than $50, seems to be $55 right now), but others like Banggood and HobbyKing also carry it. The 3 flight videos I've taken with is so far are here:

J460T: https://youtu.be/W-KXpXm6F3g
J401FJ: https://youtu.be/SnTEVesDadY
J1520VM: https://youtu.be/O6K3ks6h6d4

I did see one of the reviews near the top of Google's page complain about bad battery life on the Q6, I haven't seen this, and suspect it may be due to having the Gyro Stabilization feature turned on, I've seen others note that this is a big hit to battery life, I've never enabled it on mine (doesn't seem like it would help with on-board rocketry video) so I don't know.

That Vmax flight was pretty nice. Looks like it reached apogee and just hung there, no nose over. Nicely done.

Anyone using the RunCam2 yet? The specs look a step above the Mobius, plus the replaceable battery. I don't see a shroud for it on Additive Aerospace yet, so is anyone else making one for it.

I've got a 4" 'Stretch' Jart (added about 16" of airframe) begging for a simple video setup, so just looking for the latest & greatest since these kinds of things seem to advance quickly.

So what have you guys been using for rocket cams to capture some cool quality video and pictures?

Several years back I was just using those key chain cameras, but looking for something of higher quality.

Any suggestions?

I'll be using it on 3" and up size rockets.

Thanks!!:)

Definitely check out the mounts and carriers from LiquidFyre. Well-made products and excellent customer service.

Definitely check out the mounts and carriers from LiquidFyre. Well-made products and excellent customer service.

Thank you!

If your looking for a step up from the Mobius the Mobius Mini may be an option, higher resolution and much higher frame rate in a smaller package. The only issue was the battery life so I'm designing my kit for an external battery.

This looks cool, but as a low and medium power rocketeer, I don't really understand the tube diameter specs. It looks like the smallest is 2.1", but I don't actually see a common body tube made that corresponds to 2.1". BT-80 is 2.6", and the next one down from Estes is BT-70 at 2.217". The Cineroc (as well as its Semroc clone) is 1.8", or ST-18. So while I understand that it's tricky to make the shroud to fit small diameters, I'm not sure how 2.1" ended up being it?

This looks cool, but as a low and medium power rocketeer, I don't really understand the tube diameter specs. It looks like the smallest is 2.1", but I don't actually see a common body tube made that corresponds to 2.1". BT-80 is 2.6", and the next one down from Estes is BT-70 at 2.217". The Cineroc (as well as its Semroc clone) is 1.8", or ST-18. So while I understand that it's tricky to make the shroud to fit small diameters, I'm not sure how 2.1" ended up being it?

2.1" is BT-70 - 2.1" inside, 2.2" outside. It's also the MMT for 54mm motors, so it's referred to as 54mm tube as well, even though it's typically 56-57 mm outside diameter.

I wouldn't use this on a low-power rocket, espceially with "light wall" Estes tubing- it's designed for fiberglass and such, which tend to be thicker. Also, the Estes 2" tube standard isn't BT-70 anymore- it's 2" OD Pro Series II tube. Not saying you can't use it- it just won't fit parts from other manufacturers.

Back